February 25, 2017 at 12:50 am (Indian Wars)
Tags: Captain William Cone, Colonel James Rogers, D. S. Cone, General Thomas Hilliard, George Washington Crawford, Indian Wars, James Madison Porter, Levi J. Knight, Lowndes County GA, Matthew M. Deas, Milledgeville GA, Oglesby Murder, William B. North
Engagements with Native Americans fought in South Georgia in the year 1842, were a topic of Governor George W. Crawford’s address of November 7, 1843 to the Georgia General Assembly. The Governor referenced reports submitted by Levi J. Knight and others documenting Indian movements and attacks. Knight was captain of militia companies that fought engagements in Lowndes County during the Indian Wars 1836-1842 (see Levi J. Knight Reports Indian Fight of July 13, 1836; Final Report of General Julius C. Alford on Actions at the Little River and at Grand Bay, August, 1836)
George W. Crawford, Governor of Georgia 1843-1847. In politics, Crawford was a Whig, as was Levi J. Knight of Lowndes County (now Berrien). Crawford was the only Whig elected to the Governors office in Georgia. Crawford was appointed Secretary of War in the Cabinet of President Zachary Taylor and served from March 8, 1849, to July 23, 1850; presided over the State secession convention in 1861; died on his estate, “Bel Air,” near Augusta, Ga., July 27, 1872; interment in Summerville Cemetery.
In the spring of 1842 Levi J. Knight’s company of men was among those activated to pursue Indians fleeing from Florida and to defend against Indian attacks. After these actions, Governor Crawford was engaged in a dispute with U. S. Secretary of War James Madison Porter over whether Federal funds were owed to the State of Georgia for expenses incurred when militia companies were called out in Lowndes County.
In his address, Governor Crawford cites Document 200. This document was a report prepared for the U.S. House of Representatives, April 22, 1842 and titled “Depredations by Indians and United States troops in Georgia.” The report included all correspondence between the Governor of Georgia and the War Department from March 4, 1841 and April 20, 1842 “in relation to Indian depredations in Georgia; and the complaints made and evidence submitted of depredations on the citizens of Georgia and their property, by the United States troops;”
The question was whether Governor Crawford’s predecessor, Governor Charles McDonald, was warranted in calling out the militia. McDonald and Crawford maintained that the federal government had failed in its responsibility to provide protection and security to Georgia citizens. The people of Wiregrass Georgia certainly felt exposed, but federal officers believed there was little real threat from Indians in Georgia. Bad relations between the federal troops and local citizens complicated the issue. At the heart of matters was the shooting of D.S. Cone, son of Captain William Cone by federal troops; Cone was investigating the theft of livestock by the federal troops. Furthermore, federal authorities disparaged reports by Levi J. Knight that Indians were responsible for the attack and murder of a Mrs. Oglesby in Ware County on February 28, 1842.
The War Department contended the activation of militia companies was unnecessary and disallowed payment to Georgia.
Exerpt from Governor Crawford’s address to the Georgia Assembly, November 7, 1843, Milledgeville, GA:
In execution of the act of 27th December last, “to provide for the pay, forage, subsistence and transportation, of the troops ordered out by His Excellency the Governor, and by Generals Knight and Hilliard, for the protection of the southern frontier of this State, against intrusions of the Seminole Indians, ” Col. James Rogers of this place [Milledgeville], was appointed paymaster, who proceeded to examine and report to this Department all such claims as were presented under said act, together with the evidence in support of the same.
A coppy of his report is laid before you. The evidence on which it was based is to be found on the files of this Department. Some of the officers are discontented with the allowances made them and the men under their command by the paymaster. I refer you to copies of letters received from Captains [William B.] North and [Matthew M.] Deas on this subject, which will put you fully in possession of the objections urged against the conclusions of the paymaster, and by a comparison of which, with the testimony on file, you will be enabled to arrive at justice in your decision as to further allowances. It will be remarked that the proof consists, generally, of the affidavits of the men who performed the service.
I call your particular attention to the letter from the paymaster, relative to Captain North’s roll, and recommend that every dollar to which the men of his company are entitled, be allowed, but that measures be adopted to remedy such abuses as are disclosed on the part of that officer.
A warrant has been drawn for the sum of $2,000. for the payment of these troops, which exceeds the amount of claims reported. This sum will cover every small amount of additional claims which may be proven and the pay and expenses of the paymaster who will account for any balance. I regret that the illness of this officer has hitherto prevented the execution of the duties assigned him. I addressed a letter to the President of the U. States, on the subject of the payment of the above troops, and also invited the attention of the Georgia delegation in Congress to it. Unexpectedly to me, the President referred the matter to the then Secretary of War, an officer with whom I could not communicate with regard to it, after the evidence of his insincerity as exposed in my message to the last General Assembly. After I was informed by the Adjutant General of the army, that the rights of the State were to be controlled by so unworthy and influence, I deemed it due to the people, whom I represented, to have no further intercourse respecting them, with any officer subject to be biased by his prejudices. I cannot forbear, however, calling your attention to a passage in his letter of the 27th February last, to a portion of the Georgia delegation, a copy of which is herewith communicated, in which to justify his conduct in opposing the right of Georgia to pay, he remarks that,
“there was no outrage committed by any Indians in the State of Georgia, during the year 1842, and there was no probable or plausible ground to apprehend any. Its southern border was guarded by ten military posts and by an unceasing vigilance which afforded the most effectual protection.”
These assertions are made notwithstanding the Document 200, to which he refers in the sentence immediately preceding this, being a communication made by himself, to the committee on Military affairs, contains a letter from Major Gen. Knight, giving information of an Indian murder, committed on Tom’s creek, in the county of Ware, in the month of February, of that year.
It is true, that in one of the Documents is contained a letter from an officer of the army, which is intended to create a doubt whether the murder was committed by Indians. But the evidence adduced is inconclusive on that point. I lay before you, an extract from a letter from Captain Clyatt, of the 26th Sept, 1842, which proves that in August of that year, the Indians had passed into Georgia, and there had an engagement with a company of Georgians and Floridians. Should there bean error in Captain Clyatt’s geography, which seems impossible, as he examined the lines, the Indians had certainly passed the ten military posts, and there was at least “plausible” ground to apprehend Indian outrages.
September 17, 2016 at 2:47 am (Indian Wars, Remedies and Medicine)
Tags: Fort Mitchell AL, Franklinville GA, General Thomas Jesup, Harvard University, Indian Wars, Jacob Rhett Motte, Lowndes County GA, Medical College of South Carolina, Second Seminole War
In the fall of 1836 at the onset of the Second Seminole War, Dr. Jacob Rhett Motte became perhaps the first surgeon in Lowndes County, GA, which then encompassed a vast area including all of present day Lowndes, Berrien, Brooks, Cook, Lanier and Echols counties. Motte was the first of the medical men anywhere in the vicinity of the pioneer homesteaders at the settlement now known as Ray City, GA. Dr. Motte, a U.S. Army surgeon detailed to serve under the command of Major Greenleaf Dearborn, had come to Franklinville, GA which was the first government seat and post office of Lowndes County.
The early pioneers of the area cheered the deployment of federal troops, and the arrival of a doctor was especially welcome. But to Dr. Motte, the assignment for duty in Lowndes was most unwelcome, in his words the county “being so far south and in a low swampy part of the country had the worst possible reputation for health, and going there at this season of the year was almost considered certain death to a white man and stranger unacclimated.”
The Milledgeville Federal Union reported the arrival of United States troops in Lowndes County.
September 27, 1836 Milledgeville Federal Union reports Major Greenleaf Dearborn and 200 federal troops have taken up position in Lowndes County, GA.
Milledgeville Federal Union
September 27, 1836
United States Troops in Lowndes.
It is stated that Gen. Jesup has ordered Maj. Dearborn with about two hundred United States regulars, into Lowndes county, for the protection of that and the surrounding country against the depredations of Indians. It is anticipated that when operations shall be renewed in Florida, parties of Creek Indians, perhaps accompanied by the Seminole allies, will return through our southwestern counties to their ancient homes; and this force is designed, we learn, as a preparation for such a state of things. – Gen. Jesup has been at Tallahassee, and it was there understood, that he would be invited by Gov. Call to take command of the Florida forces.
As Native American inhabitants of Georgia, Alabama and Florida forcibly resisted removal to western lands, the summer of 1836 had erupted into a string of violent encounters. On or about July 12, 1836 Levi J. Knight led a company of men in a skirmish at William Parker’s place. In subsequent days, engagements were fought at Brushy Creek, Little River, Grand Bay, Troublesome Ford, Warrior Creek and Cow Creek.
About Dr. Motte…
Young Jacob Rhett Motte, descendant of two distinguished and colorful South Carolinian families, graduated with an A .B. degree from Harvard University in 1832. Disappointed at his failure to receive an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point, he returned to his home in Charleston. There he entered the Medical College of South Carolina and served his apprenticeship under the direction of a Doctor J. E. Holbrook. Upon the completion of his medical studies he became a citizen M. D. at the United States Government Arsenal in Augusta, Georgia. A yearning for a military career finally led the young physician to Baltimore where in March, 1836, he was examined by the Army Medical Board. His application for a commission as Assistant Surgeon was approved on March 21, and around the first of June he was ordered to active duty with the Army in the Creek Nation. For seven months he participated in the so-called Second Creek War in Georgia and Alabama-an action which was nothing more than the employment of about 10,000 regular and volunteer troops in a giant round-up of the demoralized and dispossessed Creek Indians. Early in 1837 he was transferred to the Army in Florida and for the next fourteen months took part in the campaigns against the Seminole Indians.
During his period of service with the Army in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida, Motte faithfully kept a journal in which he recorded, in a fascinating style, his travels, experiences, activities, observations and impressions.
-James F. Sunderman
According to The Army Medical Department, 1818-1865,
President Jackson decided that it was necessary to move Army units into Georgia, Alabama, and Florida to force the removal of the Seminoles and Creeks, a step that had the added effect of intimidating the most reluctant members of the other three tribes. Although the Creeks put up less resistance to removal than the Seminoles, the possibility of wholesale active resistance caused the Army to order sixteen companies of regular troops from artillery and infantry regiments, more than 1,000 men, south by mid-1836 to assist over 9,000 state troops in rounding up the reluctant members of this tribe in preparation for their removal. In the course of the following six months, over 14,000 Creeks left the area under Army escort.
The Medical Department provided medical supplies for some of those going west, including the Cherokees, Choctaws, and Chickasaws, for which it was reimbursed from a special fund by the “Indian department,” and medical officers also vaccinated large groups from the various tribes for smallpox. At least one Army surgeon, Eugene Abadie, was sent with the Creeks and specifically designated “Surgeon to Emigrating Indians” although, except for surgeons assigned to Army escorts, physicians accompanying groups of migrating Indians were apparently usually civilians. Abadie reported that many Indians fell sick during their march, fevers, dysentery, and diarrhea being the most common ills, and that many died, especially the very old and the very young. Abadie appears to have left the Creeks shortly after their arrival in the West, for he was at Fort Brooke, Florida, in August 1837.
Some of those whose duty it was to assist in the removal of the members of these tribes were well aware of the tragedy involved. Although he was not assigned to accompany the Creeks as they moved west, Assistant Surgeon Jacob Rhett Motte, who was then attached to one of the artillery units in the territory of the Creeks, studied their language and learned to respect them as a people. He watched at least 500 Creeks being brought in chains to Fort Mitchell, Alabama, and deplored the melancholy spectacle as these proud monarchs of the soil were marched off from their native land to a distant country, which to their anticipations presented all the horrors of the infernal regions. There were several who committed suicide rather than endure the sorrow of leaving the spot where rested the bones of their ancestors. The failure of his attempt to escape the round-up drove one warrior to self destruction; the fact that the only weapon at his disposal was an extremely dull knife did not deter him. With it he made several ineffectual efforts to cut his throat, but it not proving sharp enough, he with both hands forced it into his chest over the breast bone, and his successive violent thrusts succeeded in dividing the main artery, when he bled to death.
The troops based at Fort Mitchell during the Creek removal suffered primarily from dysentery and diarrhea, which Motte blamed on “the rotten limestone water of the country.” The sick were sheltered in two small buildings, each with a ten-foot wide piazza shading it from the summer’s sun. Both structures were in poor condition, with split floor boards and rooms without ceilings. Neither had been intended to serve as a hospital, but the building constructed for this purpose was on private land and had been taken over as a home, apparently by the family owning the land. The diseases endured by the men who came to the facility were, for the most part, fevers, probably malarial, and, in hot weather, diarrhea and dysentery. An epidemic of measles broke out in the fall of 1836, and the surgeon was occasionally called upon to treat the victims of delirium tremens or even of poison ivy. By the summer of 1836 the facility was serving as a general hospital, taking in both Regular Army patients from the garrison and men from the Alabama volunteers, recently back from Florida and the war against the Seminoles.
Character of the Second Seminole War
A brief show of strength served to eliminate Creek resistance, but an increasing number of attacks on white families and ambushes of small Army units emphasized the determination of the Seminoles never to leave their homes. In the last weeks of 1835, the conflict erupted into open warfare. In the guerrilla struggle that followed, Army regulars and members of various state units sent to subdue the Seminoles fought in an unfamiliar and dangerous land, “healthy in winter but sickly in summer; . . . a most hideous region,” where insects and bacteria alike throve and multiplied.”
January 28, 2015 at 12:09 am (Clements Family, Fender Family, Gaskins Family)
Tags: A B Surrency, Abner Sirmans, Albert B. Surrency, Anne Donald Clements, Arrin Horn Guthrie, Beaverdam burial grounds, Beaverdam Creek, Berrien County GA, Berrien Minute Men, Bettie Kirkland, Betty, Bill Jack Knight, Captain Knight's Company, Captain Levi J. Knight's Company, Chester Nobles, Clinch County GA, David G. Clements, Dooly County GA, Elizabeth Clements, Elizabeth Roena Patten, Elizabeth Sirmans, Etheldred Dryden Newbern, Fisher Gaskins, Frank Gallagher, George W. Fender, Gincey Sirmans, Harmon Gaskins, Henry D. Bennett, Henry Studstill, Henry Warren Clements, Indian Wars, Influenza, James W. Suggs, John B. Fountain, John C. Clements, John Gaskins, Josiah, Josiah Sirmans, L.E. Lastinger, Lacy Beagles, Levi J. Clements, Levi J. Knight, Lowndes County GA, Lula Bell Smith, Lula Fender, Malinda Ammon, Mary Ann Clements, Mary Evelyn Gaskins, New Ramah Cemetery, Parnell Knight, Phil McGowan, Ray City GA, Sarah Malinda Clements, Sherrod Winfield Fender, Wayne County GA, William Anderson Knight, William Clements, William Gaskins, William H. Gaskins, William J. Knight, Wright Suggs
Sarah Malinda Clements (1862-1947)
Sarah Malinda Clements was born March 12, 1862 in Berrien County, GA. She was the youngest of 13 children born to David G. Clements and Gincey Sirmans. She was a sister of Levi Jordan Clements, who was the patriarch of the Clements sawmill business at Ray City.
Sarah’s parents were pioneer settlers of the area. They were married in Lowndes County, GA on January 1, 1835. Her father came with his parents to Lowndes County about 1832. Her grandfather William Clements and William A. Knight had been neighbors in Wayne County, GA, and her aunt Anne Donald Clements had married Levi J. Knight in 1827. Her mother was Gincey Sirmans, a daughter of Abner Sirmans and Bettie Kirkland. Abner Sirmans, his brothers, and father, Josiah Sirmans, were among the first permanent settlers of Clinch County, GA, having arrived there in 1822. Her aunt Elizabeth “Betsy” Sirmans married Etheldred Dryden Newbern, another pioneer settler of Berrien County.
Sarah’s father and both of her grandfathers, fought under the command of their friend and neighbor Levi J. Knight in the Indian Wars of 1836-1838. David G. Clements, William Clements and Abner Sirmans all served with Captain Knight’s Independent Company. David Clements was among those who took part in the Battle of Brushy Creek, one of the last real engagements with the Creek Indians in this region.
Soon after marriage, David G. Clements acquired lot of land 406, 10th district, on which he lived and farmed until his death. He was cut into Berrien out of Lowndes County, 1856. In Berrien County, the Clements home place was in the 1144th Georgia Militia District just north of Ray’s Mill (now Ray City), GA.
In 1854, Sarah’s sister, Elizabeth Clements, married William Gaskins. The Clements were neighbors of William Gaskins, son of Fisher Gaskins. The Gaskins were another of the early pioneer families of Berrien County. William Gaskins came to the area with his father and brothers, John Gaskins and Harmon Gaskins, with their large herds of cattle, about the same time the Knights and Clements were homesteading in the area around Beaverdam Creek (site of present day Ray City, GA).
At the outset of the Civil War, Sarah’s father and brother, John C. Clements, answered the call of General Levi J. Knight to form a company of men for Confederate service; their names appear on an 1861 muster roll of the Berrien Minute Men. John C. Clements served with Company K, 29th Georgia Regiment; David G. Clements later appears on the 1864 census of southern men who were excluded from the draft on account of age.
Sarah, born during the Civil War, grew up on her father’s farm during the Reconstruction period in Georgia. She attended the local country schools and was educated through the 5th grade. It appears that she lived in her father’s home until his death in 1888.
Although Sarah married twice, she was not lucky in love. She did not marry until the age of 36.
In the Census of 1880, 18-year-old Sarah Ann Clements was enumerated by Census taker L.E. Lastinger in her father’s household. Also present was Sarah’s older sister Mary Ann, to whom she was devoted for life, and their siblings. Next door were Sarah’s sister, Elizabeth “Lizzie” Clements, and her husband William Gaskins. Also neighbors were William’s niece Mary Evelyn Gaskins and her husband George W. Fender.
On October 26, 1898 Sarah married William J. “Bill Jack” Knight. He was born in 1860, but otherwise little is known of his history. The ceremony was performed by Albert Benjamin Surrency in Berrien County, GA.
Sarah Clements and William J. Knight are enumerated together in the census of 1900 in their Rays Mill home. Sarah’s spinster sister, 59-year-old Mary Ann Clements, had also come to live in the Knight household. Sarah’s brother, John C. Clements, and his family remained as neighbors, as did George W. Fender.
William and Sarah owned their farm near Ray’s Mill free and clear of mortgage. Only one offspring was born of this union, but the child died young.
William J. Knight died on January 22, 1909 at his home near Ray’s Mill, GA.
Obituary of William J. Knight, husband of Sarah Malinda Clements
January 29, 1909
Information reached here Monday of the sudden death of Mr. “Bill Jack” Knight, a prominent resident of the Ray’s Mill district. Mr. Knight had been slightly indisposed for two or three days. After eating a light supper Friday night as he was sitting at the fireside he suddenly fell over and died. Mr. Knight was fifty years of age and was married about seven years ago to Miss Sarah Clements, of this place. He was laid to rest at the Beaverdam burial grounds. – Milltown News.
The widow Sarah Knight was enumerated (as Sarah Clements) in 1910 with her sister Mary Ann Clements in their home just east of Ray’s Mill. They were neighbors of John B. Fountain and Frank Gallagher.
Some time before 1920 Sarah married for a second time, joining in matrimony with James W. Suggs. He was from Dooly County, GA, a son of Malinda “Lynne” Ammon and Wright Suggs.
Sarah and James W. Suggs were enumerated together in the Census of 1920, at their farm on a settlement road near Ray’s Mill. Sarah’s sister and constant companion, Mary Ann Clements, resided with the Suggs. On adjacent farms were Parnell Knight and Henry D. Bennett.
The 1926 Influenza epidemic reached its peach in Georgia in March; 1926 was the worst flu year since the pandemics of 1918-1919 which had claimed 675,000 lives in the U.S. and more than 30 million worldwide. Sarah’s sister, Mary Ann Clements, at the age of 86, succumbed to Influenza, dying on March 26, 1926. She was attended by her nephew, Dr. Henry W. Clements, who was a son of Rowena Patten and Levi J. Clements. She was buried at Empire Church Cemetery.
Death certificate of Mary Ann Clements, March 26, 1926, Ray City, GA
Sometime between 1920 and 1930 James W. Suggs died, leaving Sarah widowed for the second time. Sarah, now on her own, boarded in the farm home of Sherrod Winfield Fender and his wife, Lula Bell Smith. Sherrod was a son of George W. Fender, and a neighbor of Henry Studstill, Arrin H. Guthrie, and Phil McGowan. Also lodging in the Fender household was Chester Nobles.
Sherrod W. Fender died in 1931, but Sarah continued to live with the widowed Lula Smith Fender. The 1940 census shows Sarah Suggs enumerated as a “companion” of Lula Fender.
1940 census enumeration of Sarah Clements Suggs in the Ray City, GA household of Lula Fender.
Sarah Malinda Clements Suggs died April 8, 1947. She was buried at New Ramah Cemetery at Ray City, GA. (Lula Fender was a member of the New Ramah Primitive Baptist Church.)
July 15, 2014 at 12:12 am (Battle of Brushy Creek)
Tags: Alapaha River, Barton Ferrell, Bartow Ferrell, Battle of Brushy Creek, Big Warrior Creek, Captain Henry Crawford Tucker, Captain James A. Newman, Captain John Pike, Charles Screven Gaulden, Chattahoochee River, Chickasawhatchee Swamp, Daniel McLane, Edwin Shanks, Hamilton Sharpe, Hamilton Sharpe's Company, Indian Wars, James Blackshear, Lasa Adams, Levi Arnold, Little River, Lowndes County GA, Michael Young, Pennywell Folsom, Roanoke GA, Robert N. Parrish, Tallokas GA, Tampa Bay, Thomas County GA, Thomas Edward Blackshear, Thomasville GA, Troublesome Ford, Wiley Swilley, William Drew, William Schley
Col. Thomas Edward Blackshear
Col. Thomas Edward Blackshear made an official report to Governor Schley about the engagement between whites and Indians that took place on Brushy Creek on July 14, 1836 in what is now Cook County, GA but at that time in Lowndes County. Image source: http://thomascountyhistory.org/antebellum-1825-1860/
Historian Folks Huxford said the Battle of Brushy Creek was, “An engagement between the whites and Indians took place on Brushy Creek in what is now Cook County but at that time (1836) in Lowndes County. This battleground is well known locally in Cook and Berrien counties and the whites consisted of the settlers who were serving in the militia, most of them living within 20 of 25 miles of where the battle took place.”
The Battle of Brushy Creek, GA in the summer of 1836 was part of the larger conflict between the Creek Indians and pioneer settlers of the Georgia frontier. Lasa Adams, who joined the Thomas county Militia in 1836 the week after the engagement at Brushy Creek, gave this synopsis of the escalation:
Mr. Adams gave a different origin of the War of 1836 than that generally understood, and wrote thus: “The Government was to send the Indians west; between three and five hundred of them were dissatisfied with the treaty and withdrew and though they would go and unite with the Seminoles in Florida near Tampa Bay; so they started and crossed over the Chattahoochee River and burned up a town called Roanoke, Georgia. The whites formed companies and went in pursuit and had a fight with them in Chickasawhatchee Swamp near Albany. The Indians were scattered and between 100 and 300 were in the gang in the Brushy Creek battle. Several more small squads went through the country, from fifteen to twenty in the squad, each in a different direction.”
A more immediate and local prelude to the Brushy Creek battle was the Skirmish at William Parker’s place on the Alapaha River, where Levi J. Knight’s company of militia fought with Indians on July 13, 1836. Knight’s company then marched toward Brushy Creek to join with militia companies there under the leadership of Major Michael Young (Thomas County), Capt. James A. Newman (Thomas County), Capt. John Pike (Lowndes County), Capt. Hamilton Sharpe (Lowndes County), and Capt. Henry Crawford Tucker. By the time Knight’s Company arrived at Brushy Creek, the fighting there had concluded and the burial of the dead (Pennywell Folsom) was in progress. Levi J. Knight’s official letter informing Governor Schley about the Skirmish at William Parker’s place was transcribed in a previous post; Levi J. Knight Reports Indian Fight of July 13, 1836.
The official report of the Battle of Brushy Creek was written by Col. Thomas E. Blackshear in a letter (transcribed below) to Governor William Schley on July 19, 1836, just days after the engagement was fought.
Col. Thomas E. Blackshear’s letter to Governor Schley reporting the Battle of Brushy Creek.
Milledgeville Federal Union
July 26, 1836
INDIANS IN THOMAS COUNTY
The following is a copy of a letter received by the Governor, on the 24th instant.
“His Excellency, Governor Schley,
“I have to inform your Excellency that on the night of the 11th inst., authentic information reached Thomasville that a party of Indians about fifteen in number were seen in the upperpart of Thomas County marching in the direction of Florida. By seven o’clock A. M. the next day, a company of men, forty-six in number, under the command of captain James A. Newman, was dispatched in pursuit of them. On Thursday thereafter, this company was joined by a company of about forty men from Lowndes County under the command of captain [John] Pike, when the companies elected Michael Young to take command of the battalion.
“Scouting parties being dispatched, the Indians, fifteen in number, were discovered in the fork of the Big Warrior creek and Little River. The Battalion immediately proceeded across the River and scoured a very thick, muddy swamp about two miles wide and three long without making any discovery. A company of thirty-one men from Thomas County under the command of Captain Luckee and of thirty-one men, from Lowndes, commanded by Captain [Hamilton W] Sharpe then joined the battalion. The next morning Captain Sharpe was sent up the east side of the river to ascertain whether or not the Indians had crossed the river and left the swamp. Having found their trail he dispatched a messenger to the Battalion and proceeded to follow after the Indians. After pursuing them about three miles he came up with them, about sixty warriors and their families, a battle ensued in which he lost one killed (Mr. P. Folsom) and one wounded when he was forced to retreat.
“The Battalion hastened to his assistance, and in about three miles came up with them again, posted in a very advantageous position on a pine ridge, their rear protected by a cypress pond and in their front a wide, open, boggy meadow. A general engagement commenced about 9 o’clock A. M., and after a severe fight for about two hours, the Indians were completely routed, with a loss of twenty-two Indians and two negroes killed, that were seen, many wounded and eighteen of the women and children were taken prisoners.–
“The battle was fought over a distance of three miles, through several cypress ponds and bays and a very thick hurricane. The loss on the part of the whites were two killed (Barton Ferrell of Thomas county and Edmund Shanks of Lowndes,) and nine wounded. Several horses were killed, several ran off during the engagement and have not since been heard of. The prisoners have been confined in the county jail under a guard for their safety. Your Excellency will please direct what disposition to make of them. The expenses of the detachment will be furnished you as soon as the Quartermaster can make out his account.”
THOMAS E. BLACKSHEAR
Colonel commanding 69th R.G.M.
Lasa Adams, who joined the Thomas county Militia the week after the engagement at Brushy Creek listed among the wounded “Daniel McLean of Thomasville, William Drew of Lowndes (now Brooks), James Blackshear of Thomas County, Capt. Charles Screven Gaulden of Lowndes (now Brooks), and Robert N. Parrish of Lowndes (now Cook) County. Mr. Adams could not recall the others who were wounded, saying they were from Lowndes County and he did not know them personally. Mr. Adams said the Indians who were captured were kept in jail at Thomasville about a month and then sent west. He said there were eight or ten women and children.”
February 25, 2014 at 2:35 am (Faith and Begorrah, Knight Family)
Tags: Alapaha River, Ansel Parrish, B. P. Lovett, Beaver Dam Creek, Big Meeting, Burnt Church, Carter's Meeting House, Chattahoochee River, Creek Indians, E. R. Rhoden, Edmond Mathis, Elizabeth Patten, Fleming Bates, Flemming Bates, G. L. Robinson, Indian Wars, Irwin County GA, Isaac Delk Hutto, Isham Albert Wetherington, Isham Peacock, Israel G. Carter, J. A. Chitty, J. A. O'steen, J. D. Peters, J. L. Robertson, J. S. Shaw, Jacob Hughes, James Alfred Weaver, James L. Robinson, James Pattem, James Walker, Jesse Carter, John Lee, John P. Tomlinson, John Studstill, John T. Watson, Jonathan Knight, Joshua Lee, Joshua Sykes, Josiah Sirmans, Lanier County GA, Levi Drawdy, Levi J. Knight, Martha Lee, Matthew Albritton, Ochlocknee Primitive Baptist Association, Okefenokee Swamp, Orville A. Knight, Orville Knight, Owen Smith, Piedmont Primitive Baptist Association, Ray City GA, Richard H. Burkhalter, Salem Church, Suwannee Primitive Baptist Association, Timothy William Stallings, Union Church, Union Primitive Baptist Church, Unity Church, W. H. Lastinger, W. R. Rhoden, William Anderson Knight, William Giddens, William H. Tomlinson, William J. Knight, William Patten
Located in present day Lanier County, GA, the old Union Church lies about 10 miles east of where Levi J. Knight settled on Beaver Dam Creek (now Ray City, GA). It was the first church to serve the pioneer settlers of this region. L. J. Knight’s parents, Sarah and William Anderson Knight , were among the organizing members of the church. Built on land provided by Jesse Carter, the church was originally referred to as Carter’s Meeting House, and later designated Union Church.
The church and cemetery were on a trail used by the Creek Indians traveling between the Chattahoochee River and the Okefenokee Swamp. During the Indian Wars, 1836-1838, the church building was partially burned. The fire-damaged timbers were used in the reconstruction, and since that time Union Church has also been known as Burnt Church.
“Union Baptist Church, on the Alapaha River ….was constituted October 21, 1825, the first church in the old area of Irwin County. The original members William A. Knight; his wife, Sarah; Jonathan Knight; his wife, Elizabeth; Joshua Lee; his wife, Martha; James Patten; his wife, Elizabeth; Mary Knight; Josiah Sirmans, deacon. The Rev. Matthew Albritton served the church as its first minister.”
Union Church, Lanier County, GA
In Pines and pioneers: A history of Lowndes County, Georgia, 1825-1900, author J. T. Shelton gave the following description described a Big Meeting at Union church:
“The old church had a door on every side for easy access, a rostrum along one wall with seats facing it from three directions. The arrangement allowed the seating of slaves on one side. With feet planted firmly on the wide floor boards, the congregation sat on the pews, each a single plank. The women of the church had scrubbed down with potash and homemade soap both pews and flooring, and the wood had a soft, silvery sheen. The pulpit was seven feet long, twelve inches wide and two inches thick; three to five preachers sat on a long bench behind the pulpit until each had his turn to address the assembly. The exhorter then paced up and down the generous space provided, and he held forth for two hours before the next preacher had his chance. Listeners came and went; mothers carried out crying babies; little boys believed that they would starve to death before they could get outside to the loaded dinner tables that were as much a part of Big Meeting as the preaching.”
In 1928-30, The Clinch County News published a series of articles on the history of Union Church, portions of which are excerpted below:
HISTORY OF OLD UNION CHURCH
Union Primitive Baptist Church, the mother of all the churches of this faith in this immediate section of Georgia, was organized or constituted October 1st, 1825. The presbytery consisted of Elders Fleming Bates and Mathew Albritton.
As is well known, the church is located on the banks of the Alapaha River about 1 1/2 miles south of Lakeland formerly old Milltown. It stands to-day where it has always stood for the past 108 years (1933). The cemetery close by contains the graves of many pioneers and old citizens of east Lowndes, southeast Berrien and western Clinch counties. Baptisms have always taken place in the nearby river, it not being over one hundred yards from the church to the river. A high bluff with a sharp bend in the river’s course is the visitor’s introduction after he has passed the church. Several steady-flowing springs of fine drinking water are to be found on the banks, and eminating from the walls of the bluff. Part of the bluff slopes off to the river’s edge at the river bend thus making an ideal place for baptism purposes.
The little log-house which was the first building on the site of the present church, had come to be known as Carter’s Meeting House prior to the organization of the church. For some months prior it had been the scene of monthly meetings or services, and it was the expression of the desire of the settlers to have some kind of divine services in their midst, for there was not a church to be found of any denomination from the Altamaha River to the Florida and Alabama lines. The settlers in this immediate vicinity were more numerous than in most of the settlements, and many of them Carters. The meeting-house took its name from old man Jesse Carter and he probably gave the land and his boys had a hand in building the original log house to hold services in. The earliest settlers had only been living here four years at the time, while the most of them had not living here hardly a year. Knights, Carters, Giddens and Lees made up most of the settlers west of the river while on the east side of the river were to be found Tomlinsons, Sirmans and Fenders, Corbitts and Mathises. Further down the river could be found the Wetheringtons, Swilleys, Peters, Walkers, and Roberts.
Elder William A. Knight, at that time a layman, was one of the leading spirits in the formation of the church. As already stated it was Elders Bates and Albritton who presided at the organization of the church, but to “Old Father Knight” as many people called him in his lifetime, may be attribute more than anyone else the religious activities of the community in those days when the first settlers were moving in. He led in prayer and in song, and when the preacher failed to keep an appointment because of lurking Indians, high waters or other providential hindrances it was Bro. Knight who took charge and carried on the service. Five years after the church was organized he was licensed to preach the Gospel and two years later (1832) he was ordained to the full Gospel ministry.
Union Church had been constituted under the auspices of the Piedmont Primitive Baptist Association, but by 1827 the establishment of a number of new churches prompted a desire to divide the association. Fleming Bates and Matthew Albritton, of Union Church, were appointe to lead the local organization of “seven Baptist churches situated between the Alapaha and Flint River” into the new Ochlocknee Primitive Baptist Association. The Ochlocknee Association grew rapidly and by 1833 included 35 churches and 1,010 members. William A. Knight was appointed to travel these new churches to instruct them on their duties and responsibilities to the Association. By 1835, when Union Church and other churches of south Georgia and north Florida again sought to divide from the Ochlocknee Primitive Baptist Association, Knight served on the presbytery in the organization of the new Suwannee Primitive Baptist Association.
Clinch County News
September 20, 1929
HISTORY OF OLD UNION CHURCH
As has been stated before, the minutes of the church from the beginning in 1825 to 1832 have been lost. We understand, however, that Rev. William A. Knight was the first pastor as well as the guiding hand of the church during these early years. It is certain that he was one of the charter members and the only ordained minister holding his membership with the church during that time. Assuming that he was pastor during those seven years, the list of pastors up to recently , is as follows:
If the writer could properly write the life of these earnest consecrated servants of the Lord, it would be equal to writing an account of the religious life of this section in the Primitive Baptist denomination. Fearless in fighting sin and bold in preaching Christ and faithful in contending for the Faith, they have served nobly and well and unborn generations will bear witness to the fruits of their work. With few exceptions the writer has not sufficient biographical data at hand now to write of their individual lives, but we know of their godly records. We hope to write later of the lives of these great preachers.
The clerks of the church likewise contain a list of fine men, known throughout their communities and counties for their good, upright lives, and their staunch Christian characters. We do not know who the first clerk was.
- Owen Smith September 7, 1832
- Joshua Sykes January 12, 1839
- Isaac D. Hutto April 13, 1845
- William Patten May 10, 1851
- William Lastinger July 8, 1854
- John Studstill Jan 9, 1858
- William Giddens May 7, 1863
- E. R. Rhoden October 8, 1891
- W. R. Rhoden November 10, 1894
- J. L. Robertson February 12, 1898
- Wm. J. Knight May 12, 1900
- J. A. Weaver August 10, 1901
- G. L. Robinson September 12, 1924
- J. A. Weaver September 12, 1925
- J. S. Shaw October 8, 1926
A good portion of the minutes is in the handwriting of assistant clerks. These assistant clerks were generally elected by the church, but of late years there have been no assistants. The list of assistant clerks is as follows:
- William A. Knight 1834-1837
- Levi Drawdy 1837-1848
- James Walker 1853-1854
- Richard H. Burkhalter 1861-1862
- John P. Tomlinson 1887-1900
- John T. Watson 1900-1902
The church has had but few deacons during its 105 years [as of 1929] of existence. There were apparently never over two at the time, and when elected they served for life unless sooner dismissed by letter or otherwise. The list given below is full of as fine men as ever lived in this section. We do not in the list make any attempt to show how long they served except in those cases where they died members of the church. We do not know who the first deacons of the church were. List follows:
Bro. Edmund Mathis, one of the deacons, having removed his membership, Bro. Joshua Lee was elected in his place March 10, 1833, and ordained April 13, 1833 by Elders Peacock, Friar and Knight.
September 6, 1839, Bro. Edmund Mathis was received back into the membership by letter from Concord church, Hamilton County, Fla., and acted as a deacon until dismissed again by letter April 10, 1841.
On June 13, 1841, brethren Jacob Hughes and John Lee were ordained deacons. Members of the presbytery not shown by minutes.
March 13, 1852, brethren Richard H. Burkhalter and J. D. Peters were elected deacons. They were ordained June 12, 1852 but the minutes do not show who constituted the presbytery. Bro. Burkhalter died in 1862 and Bro. Peters also died a member but we do not know when.
The minutes do not show any further ordination of deacons until 1891 when Bro. John P. Tomlinson was elected on May 9th. On June 13, 1891 he was ordained by Elders J. A. O’steen and T. W. Stallings.
On December 9, 1899, Bro. James L. Robinson was elected a deacon but was never ordained.
On November 10, 1906 Bro. Israel G. Carter was elected a deacon and ordained January 12, 1907 by Elders B.P. Lovett from Salem Church, I. A. Wetherington from Unity church, A. A. Knight , the pastor.
On October 9, 1909, Bro. J. A. Weaver was elected deacon, and ordained February 12, 1910 by Elders Wetherington, Chitty and A. A. Knight .
The minutes do not disclose that the church ever had any treasurer until 1909 whem on October 9th, Bro. J. A. Weaver was elected as such.
Historic Marker – Union Church, organized 1825. Sarah and William A. Knight were founding members.
Some other members of Union Church:
- William Hughes – joined by letter, December 8, 1838
- William Wesley Johnson – baptized August 10, 1839
- Amelia Sherley Johnson – baptized June 13, 1840
- John Lee – joined by letter, June 8, 1839
- Elender Wetherington Lee – joined by letter, June 8, 1838
- Joshua Lee – constituting member, October1, 1825
- Martha Ford Lee – constituting member, October1, 1825
- Moses C. Lee – baptized September 11, 1841
- Jincey Register Lee – baptized September 10, 1854
- Thomas Mathis – united 1839, dismissed by letter December 12, 1840
- Eady Mathis – united 1839, dismissed by letter December 12, 1840
- Tyre Mathis – joined by letter April 12, 1828, dismissed by letter December 11, 1847
- Nancy Lee Mathis – joined by letter April 12, 1828, dismissed by letter December 11, 1847
- Mehala Rice Monk – joined by letter 1838
- William Patten – baptized September 9, 1848, dismissed by letter March 11, 1854 to organize Empire Church
April 22, 2013 at 12:31 am (Governance & Civics, Uncategorized)
Tags: Andrew J. Harris, Ann Baillie Davies, Ann McIntosh, Augustin Harris Hansell, C. W. Fulwood, Charles J. Paine, Charles Paine Hansell, Constitutional Convention of 1877, Edward Davies, Frances B. Hansell, H. B. Peeples, Indian Wars, Iverson L. Harris, J. R. Singletary, J. W. A. Sanford, John A. Wilkes, John Mohr McIntosh, John William Augustine Sanford, Mary Ann Baillie, Mary Anne Baillie Paine, Mary H. Hansell, Mason, Milledgeville Lodge, O. M. Smith, R. G. Tison, R. K. Hines, Robert G. Mitchell, Sally H. Hansell, Susan Byne Harris, Susan V. Hansell, W. B. Bennett, W. M. Hammond, William Davies, William Young, William Young Hansell
Judge Augustin H. Hansell spent 50 years on the bench of the of Southern Circuit of Georgia during which he tried many, many cases in Berrien County (see The Misadventures of Mr. Stewart, The State vs Burrell Hamilton Bailey, and Trial and Incarceration of James Thomas Beagles.) He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of the of 1877, along with Ray’s Mill (now Ray City) resident Jonathan David Knight.
1907 Memorial to Judge Hansell
Feb. 8, 1907
Memorial to Judge Hansell
Memorial services in honor of the late Judge Augustine H. Hansell were held at Thomasville Monday afternoon. Judge Hansell presided over the Southern circuit for fifty years, and there was a large attendance of lawyers from all over the section. The memorial committee appointed by Judge Robert G. Mitchell to have charge of the exercises consisted of W. M. Hammond, of Thomas, chairman; W. B. Bennett, of Brooks; O. M. Smith, of Lowndes; H. B. Peeples, of Berrien; John A. Wilkes, of Colquitt; J. R. Singletary, of Grady; C. W. Fulwood, of Tift, and R. G. Tison, of Echols.
Captain Hammond, as chairman of the committee, delivered an eloquent eulogy – reciting the long public service of the honored judge. A handsome portrait of Judge Hansell adons the court room, where the service was held.
Augustin H. Hansell
The following sketch of the life of Judge Hansell is a composite of the memorial given in the Report of the Twenty-fourth Annual Session of the Georgia Bar Association, 1907 and biographical material contained in A History of Savannah and South Georgia, Volume 2, 1913.
JUDGE AUGUSTIN H. HANSELL.
Augustin H. Hansell was born in Milledgeville, Georgia,, on the 26th day of August, 1817. He died in Thomasville, Georgia, on Sunday morning, February 11, 1907. If he had lived until August 26, 1907, he would have reached the age of ninety years. While it is rarely the case that the allotted life of man is extended to the extreme age which Judge Hansell reached, it is still more rare, even to being remarkable, that one who lived for a period approaching a century should have spent nearly the entire time of so long a life in constant activity and service. Judge Hansell was practically “in harness” from his early manhood until the date of his death. From the time he was eighteen years of age until within a few years of his death he was actively and constantly engaged in service to his State and to his people.
The father of Augustine Harris Hansell was William Young Hansell, a native of the Greenville district of South Carolina. When William Young Hansell was a child he lost his father, and at the age of twelve came to Georgia to make his home with his uncle, William Young. Making the best of his opportunities he acquired a common school education and then studied law in Milledgeville, and after admission to the bar engaged in practice there. He was one of the eminent attorneys of his time, and his name appears in the Georgia supreme court reports. His active practice continued until 1860, and he then lived retired until his death in 1867. The maiden name of his wife was Susan Byne Harris, representing another prominent family of this state. She was born on a plantation about two miles from Milledgeville, and her father, Augustin Harris, a native of Burke county, was directly descended from one of four brothers who came to America during early colonial times and settled in Virginia. Augustin Harris was a Baldwin county planter, having numerous slaves and being one of the prosperous men of his section. Susan (Harris) Hansell survived her husband until 1874, and she reared two sons, Andrew J. and Augustin H., and five daughters.”
Augustin Harris Hansell… being reared in one of the prosperous homes of Georgia, was given excellent advantages. Prof. Carlisle Beaman was one of his tutors in general subjects, and he studied law under R. K. Hines and Iverson L. Harris. After admission to the bar he began practice at Milledgeville, and for a time served as private secretary for Governor Gilmer.
At the age of eighteen Judge Hansell served with distinction in the War of the Creek Indians of 1836. He was on the staff of General J. W. A. Sanford, of Baldwin county, and by reason of meritorious service was offered the promotion to a Major by General Sanford, but declined such appointment.
Judge Hansell’s family relations were ideal. He was married to Miss Mary Anne Baillie Paine, of Milledgeville, on May 20, 1840. For sixty-six years they lived a perfectly happy married life. Her father was Charles J . Paine, a native of Petersburg, Virginia, and a physician. As a young man he came to Georgia and was engaged in practice at Milledgeville until his death in 1857. Her mother was Ann Baillie Davies, the daughter of William Davies, a native of Savannah, and granddaughter of Edward Davies, a native of Wales, who was one of the early settlers of Georgia. William Davies also conferred honor upon the legal profession of Georgia, and served as judge of the superior court and was mayor of the city of Savannah during the War of 1812. William Davies married Mary Ann Baillie, the maiden name of whose mother was Ann McIntosh, a daughter of John Mohr McIntosh, the immigrant ancestor of the noted McIntosh family.
The five children of Mary Anne Baillie Paine (1826-1906) and Augustin Harris Hansell (1917-1907) were as follows:
- Susan V. Hansell
- Charles Paine Hansell
- Mary H. Hansell
- Frances B. Hansell
- Sally H. Hansell
Judge Hansell was elected to the Georgia Legislature in 1845 and represented the County of Pulaski.
In 1847 he was elected Solicitor-General of the Southern Circuit and served for two years, at the end of which time he resigned to accept the position of Judge of the Superior Court of the Southern Circuit of Georgia, then embracing the greater part of south Georgia. Railroads had not yet penetrated to this region, and he journeyed from court to court in his private carriage.
For some years, until 1850, he was a resident of Hawkinsville, then in Scottsboro two years, and in November 1852 came to Thomasville, being one of the most prominent among the early settlers of this locality.
He resigned the position of Judge of the Southern Circuit in 1853, But went back on that bench in 1859.
Judge Hansell was a member of the Georgia Secession Convention in 1861 and took a prominent part in that historic body. He did not enter the Confederate service in the War between the States on account of the fact that he was Judge of the Superior Court of the Southern Circuit during such war. He, however, gave to the Confederate cause his earnest sympathy and support and actively rendered efficient service and help as Chairman of the Relief Committee from Thomas County. During the siege of Atlanta he went to that city and aided in the relief of the sick and wounded. He was a tower of strength to his people during the stormy days of Reconstruction.
He remained as Judge of this Circuit continuously until 1868, when he was removed from the bench by the Reconstruction Governor of Georgia, Rufus B. Bullock. He resumed private practice for four years, but in 1873 he was again elected Judge of the Southern Circuit and continued to serve in such capacity, being elected term after term without opposition, until January 1, 1903, a period of thirty continuous years in the service of his State.
He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1877 and did efficient work in that Convention in framing the State Constitution.
He took an active part in the various Conventions of Judges that compiled the rules of procedure and practice for the Superior Courts of the State. He was always present at these Conventions and was President of the last Convention held.
At January 1, 1903 he voluntarily resigned from the bench and retired to the well-earned quiet and rest of his home. During his long career on the bench he made many important decisions and such implicit confidence did litigants repose in his learning and his integrity that appeals were very rarely taken from his decisions. An examination of the cases where appeals were taken, shows that a very small percentage were reversed by the higher Courts.
No better or more accurate statement can be given of his service as a lawyer and Judge than the following, which was written by one who knew him and loved him as a life-long friend:
“Judge Hansell was one of the ablest lawyers in the State, and stood easily among the foremost of Georgia’s great judicial lights. With an unfaltering and unerring hand he held the scales of justice evenly poised, meting out justice without fear or favor to all, to rich and poor alike. With a mind richly stored with legal lore, he made the law so plain that all grasped and comprehended it as it fell from his lips. He was an upright and a just Judge. No higher encomium could be pronounced. He wore the ermine for half a century and laid it aside without blur, blot, blemish or wrinkle. The bar and people of the Southern Circuit, over which he presided so long, venerated and loved him as but few men have been venerated and loved. The highest type of the old-time Southern gentleman, he impressed juries and litigants with the purity of his motives and the fairness of his rulings and charges. To the younger members of the bar he was ever ready to lend a helping hand, ever ready to advise and guide them.
To the officers of his Courts he was courteous and kind at all times.”
During his life, Judge Hansell was chosen for office under every form of appointment and election that has existed in Georgia; gubernatorial, legislative and popular.
In the Report of the Twenty-sixth Annual Session of the Georgia Bar Association, 1909 , John D. Pope wrote, “I venture the assertion that any lawyer, who will undertake to look over the list of Judges appointed by Governors in time gone by, will agree with me that they were among the best that Georgia ever had, and these men were not changed on the Bench after their appointment except by their own will. Look at the lamented Judge A. H. Hansell on the Superior Court Bench for more than a half century! Where is the man in that circuit, or out of it, that knew him personally, or by reputation, who would have opposed him? Why? Because he was just and fearless, and every man knew, when he went before Judge Hansell he would get just what the law gave him, no more, no less: There was no politics there; it was a case of a great man administering the law!”
At the time of his death Judge Hansell was the oldest Mason in the State of Georgia. He always took a marked and active interest in the work of this great order. He was made a Master Mason in the Milledgeville Lodge in 1838. A few years later he became a Royal Arch Mason and a Knight Templar at Macon, Ga. He served as Master of the Hawkinsville Lodge, was High Priest in the Thomasville Chapter and was an officer of the State Grand Chapter. Just a short while before his death he attended the Thomas County Convention of Masons and made a speech that greatly affected his Masonic brothers.
The private life of Judge Hansell and that side of his character, which was known to his friends and his neighbors, is well expressed in the following tribute to his memory, written by the same friend referred to above:
“No citizen of Thomasville was ever held in higher regard or more universally esteemed. For half a century he lived here, going in and out among his neighbors, holding and retaining to the last hour of his earthly existence the respect, esteem and love of all, young and old. His kindness of heart, gentleness of spirit, and never-failing regard for others won for him, during his long and useful life, the sincere affection of all. His life was an inspiration to the young and his precepts and example all point to the loftiest type of good citizenship. He made the world better by having lived in it, and leaving it, left countless thousands to mourn his loss. Few men have left behind a more spotless record, or one more worthy of emulation. The golden rule was his guide through life. His memory will long be cherished by those who knew him, and cherished longest by those who knew him best. The good that he did will still live. It can not be entombed. The rising generation will be pointed to the life and character of this model citizen as an example to be followed, as an incentive for correct and upright living. Surely this is a rich legacy he has left behind him, a legacy far more valuable than sordid wealth.”
February 28, 2013 at 12:19 am (Families of Ray City, Uncategorized)
Tags: Alapaha River, Amy Walker Drawdy, Berrien County GA, Captain Jesse Carter's Company, Charles R. Green, Christina Drawdy Wetherington, Daniel Drawdy, Delilah Ann Hinson, Delilah Drawdy, Dr. Pleasant H. Askew, Elijah Carter Sr, Elizabeth Green, Elizabeth Green Touchton, Fairiby Drawdy, Frances Steward, Frankie Angeline Green, Houston H. Green, Indian Wars, J. H. May, James Green, John B. Green, John Drawdy, King Hinson, Kiziah Drawdy Rhoden, Levi Drawdy, Levi Drawdy Jr, Little Saltketcher Creek, Lot 389 11th District, Milltown GA, Noah Green, Perry Drawdy, Rays Mill Georgia, Rebecca Carter, REO car, REO Motor Car Company, Sarah Ann Green, Sarah Drawdy Chitty, Sarah Green Cox, Sparks Eagle, Susannah Green, Sylvester M. Drawdy, Union Church, William Green, William Hiram Green
Feb. 28, 1913
Berrien News Item, Feb 28, 1913 – Delilah Drawdy
Berrien county boasts of a lady resident 102 years old, Mrs. Delilah Drawdy, says the Sparks Eagle. She has over three hundred grand-children and moved to Georgia from North Carolina. She can thread a needle without glasses; has a good number of quilts she made herself; is able to do house work; goes whereever she wishes; enjoys her meals, and can talk very interestingly of the changes in the modes of travel during her century and more of life.
Dr. P. H. Askew and Delilah Hinson Drawdy, circa 1904. Image courtesy of berriencountyga.com
Ridin’ in a REO–In what is believed to be the first car in Berrien County, Dr. P.H. Askew and Mrs. Delilah Drawdy ride in style in a REO two-seater. Dr. Askew wanted Mrs. Drawdy to be his first passenger in his new car, and when asked if she was afraid to go for a ride in the REO, she replied, “Why should I be? I’ll have a doctor driving?”
The photo was taken about 1904, the first year the REO Motor Car Company produced automobiles.
Dr. Pleasant H. Askew was a prominent physician, businessman and landowner of Nashville, GA. In the 1920s he purchased a farm from Sullivan J. Knight along Cat Creek about five miles north of Ray City, GA; it was one of several Berrien County properties he owned.
Delilah Drawdy died in March, 1914
Obituary of Delilah Drawdy
March 27, 1914
Died at Age of 102.
Adel, March 17. Mrs. Delilah Drawdy, who died at the age of 102 at Rays Mill Sunday, removed one of the most remarkable women in the state. She married Noah Green when she was 15, and to them was born 10 children, five of whom are still living. The oldest child is eighty-four years of age, and the youngest is sixty-four. Mrs. Drawdy was twice married, her second husband being Levy Drawdy, with whom she lived twenty-five years. Two sons were born to them, one of which survives her. Her grand children, great grand children and great great grandchildren number over 400.
Mrs. Drawdy was a grand mother of sheriff J. M. Shaw’s first wife. She retained her faculties well, despite her age and remembered when the “stars fell.”
Other remembrances included:
Mrs. Drawdy, probably the oldest woman in the State of Georgia died at her home in Rays Mill Sunday. She was 102 years old, and was the grandmother of J. H. May and Mrs. J. M. Shaw of Adel…. She was able to sit up and sew until a few weeks before her death , and at the age of 101, she made a quilt for her grandson, J. H. May. Her eyesight and hearing were good and she maintained her metal faculties until the last. She joined the Primitive Baptist Church in 1852. Burial took place at Milltown Monday. She was born in North Carolina and moved to Georgia when she was 15 years old. Surviving children, William Green of Stockton, Mrs. Baten of Sparks, Mrs. D. M. Drawdy of Rays Mill, H. H. Green of Rays Mill, Mrs. H. Cox of Dupont and S. M. Drawdy of Hahira.
Affectionately known as “Dillie, her maiden name was Delilah Ann Hinson. She was born on Christmas Day, 1812 in Anson County, North Carolina a daughter of Frances Steward and Charles “King” Hinson. As a young woman she came with her father to Pulaski County, GA. About 1827 she married Noah Green, also of North Carolina. Census records for Noah Green show he and Dillie made their household in Captain Lenam’s District, Pulaski County, GA.
Children of Delilah A. Hinson and Noah Green:
- William Hiram Green (1834-1916)
- Elizabeth Green (1834-1886)
- James Green (1836-)
- Frankie Angeline Green (1840-1922)
- Charles R Green (1842-)
- John B Green (1843-)
- Susannah Green(1846-)
- Houston H Green (1849-1925)
- Sarah Ann Green(1853-1945)
Family tradition says about 1854-55 Noah Green relocated his household to that part of Lowndes county which was soon to be cut into the new county of Berrien. But almost at the moment of arrival at the new homestead, Noah Green suffered a heart attack and died, leaving the widowed Dillie to raise a family on her own.
Within a year or two Delilah Hinson Green married again. Her second husband was the widower Levi Drawdy, a prosperous farmer in Berrien County. He was a son of John Drawdy, born October 15, 1803, in the Barnwell District of South Carolina. His uncle Daniel Drawdy was a veteran of the Revolutionary War. Drawdy’s first wife, Rebecca Carter, was a daughter of Elijah Carter, Sr., who lived on Little Saltketcher Creek on the Barnwell-Colleton line in South Carolina. Levi and Rebecca Drawdy made their home in Barnwell county until 1834 when they moved to settle on land on the west side of the Alapaha River in present day Lanier County, GA. Many of the Carter family connection had already come from South Carolina to settle in the same area. On June 7, 1834 Drawdy and his wife Rebecca were baptized into the membership of Union Church. He served as a private in 1838 in the Indian War, in Capt. Jesse Carter’s Company of Lowndes County militia. In 1853, Rebecca Carter Drawdy died and was buried at Union Church near their home. She was survived by her husband and ten children.
About 1854, the widower Levi Drawdy and the widow Delilah Ann Hinson Green were married. The couple made a blended household out of their large families. At the time of marriage they had 18 children between the two of them. Their union produced two more.
Children of Delilah Hinson and Levi Drawdy:
- Sylvester M. Drawy
- Perry Drawdy
Mr. Drawdy was buried at Union Church. He left a will dated July 25, 1864, which was probated August 25, 1881, in Lowndes Court of Ordinary. His son, Daniel, was designated as executor. His home place and farm, Lot of Land No. 389 in 11th district of Lowndes, was divided among the wife and surviving children: Daniel Drawdy, Levi Drawdy, Jr., Sylvester M. Drawdy, Mrs. Christina Drawdy Wetherington, Mrs. Elizabeth Green Touchston, Mrs. Kiziah Drawdy Rhoden, Mrs. Sarah Drawdy Chitty, and Fairiby Drawdy.
Delilah Ann Hinson Green Drawdy died in 1914. She is buried along with other members of the Green and Drawdy families in the cemetery at Union Church.
February 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm (Lee Family)
Tags: Amanda Clements, Camilla Spence, cane syrup, Captain Levi J. Knight's Company, Elender Wetherington, Ellen D. Lee, Fletcher Turner, Indian Wars, Jennie Lee, John F. Clements, John Levi Lee, John Thomas Brantley, John Vinson Lee, Lint Miller, Miller Hardware, Miller Hardware & Furniture Company, Moses C. Lee, Moses Corby Lee, Moses Lee, Nancy Patten, Randolph Graham, Rice, Rice in the Wiregrass, Samuel Irvin Watson, William D. Lee, William Rufus Smith
Moses C. Lee (1853-1926) was an outstanding farmer of Berrien County, GA.
He was a son of John Levy Lee and nephew of Moses Corby Lee (1808-1884), both pioneer settlers and prominent land owners of old Berrien. His father and uncle were veterans of the Indian Wars of 1838 and fought with Levi J. Knight’s Militia Company in the last Indian fight in Berrien County, GA. His mother was Elender Wetherington (1813-1889). He was the father-in-law of Lint Miller and one of the investors in the Miller Hardware & Furniture Company.
Born July 12, 1853, Moses C. Lee (1853-1926) was sometimes referred to as M.C. Lee, Jr. to distinguish him from his uncle. Moses C. Lee, the subject, first appears at age six in Census records in the 1860 enumeration of his father’s household in Berrien County, GA. His father’s real estate was valued at 3500 and personal estate at $3800.
On November 1879, Moses C. Lee married Amanda Clements in Berrien County, GA. Born Sarah Amanda Clements, she was a daughter of John F. Clements and Nancy Patten, and a sister of John Miles Clements.
The newlyweds made their home in a house on the farm of Moses’ father, John Levy (or Levi) Lee, where they were enumerated in the Census of 1880.
After the death of his father, John Levy Lee, in 1884, Moses Lee carried on working his Berrien County farm. Moses Lee’s residence was known as “Stoney Hill,” according to William Green Avera. The Lee place was situated on the road “from Milltown to Tyson Ferry on the Alapaha River just east of the present site of Alapaha.” This road passed the residences of John Studstill, first Sheriff of Berrien County; Judge J. H. Rowan; and Keefe and Bullocks Turpentine Still.
By 1896 Moses Lee was recognized as one of the leading farmers in this section.
Tifton Gazette, March 7, 1896 praises the work of Berrien County, GA farmer Moses Lee.
Well, I have the results of what Mr. Mose Lee, has stored away, for another specimen of what can be obtained in the wiregrass region. Will take corn first. On his farm he housed between 1500 and 2,000 bushels of “little cob” corn, and some where near 11,000 pounds of well cured fodder. He dug and housed 12,000 bushels of sweet potatoes, and left enough in the patch to fatten 100 head of hogs. Cotton! cotton! He raised nineteen bales of cotton, averaging four hundred pounds each, which amounts to 7,600 pounds, and has jugged and barreled 750 gallons of syrup, of the finest that can be made. He killed enough porkers to amount to 12,000 pounds and from them he obtained about 1,650 pounds of lard. Hay he housed enough to winter 50 or 60 head of cows, beside old “Buck”. As it was a bad year for oats and rice he only housed about 5,000 bundles of oats and 80 or 100 bushels of rice.
He has enlarged his farm this year, by adding 40 acres of new land. He is only going to use ten tons of guano this year.
We hear some folks crying hard times, but all they have to do is to work with energy and vote for Hammond. If anyone thinks that I have exaggerated in stating the above facts, I can only refer them to Mr. Lee, Milltown, Ga.
In 1917, M. C. Lee was employing Randolph Graham, John Thomas Brantley and Fletcher Turner to farm his land.
Children of Moses C. Lee and Amanda Clements Lee:
- William David Lee (1880 – 1967) married Mollie Clements
- Jennie L Lee (1882 – 1974) married Sam I Watson, 1900
- Ellen D Lee (1883 – 1907) married William R. Smith; died of measles April 30, 1907
- John Vinson Lee (1885 – 1947) married Camilla Spence
- L. Chester Lee (1887 –1908) died of typhoid fever December 14, 1908
- Winnie Lee (1888-1891)
- Lena A Lee (1891 – 1971) married Willis Linton “Lint” Miller, 1913
- Remer E Lee (1893 – 1901) died of blood poisoning
- Mary Emma Lee (1895 –1986) married 1) Virgil Shingler; 2) J.Crawford Dasher
- Infant Lee – born and died July 22, 1897
November 19, 2012 at 12:59 am (Register Family, Skinner Family)
Tags: Alapaha River, Appling County GA, Atlantic & Gulf Railroad, Battle of Brushy Creek, Battle of San Felasco Hammock, Bellamy Road, Bulloch County GA, Clay's Landing, Dade Massacre, David Register, Dock Shaw, Dorcas Register, Eady Register, East Florida Volunteer Militia, Elizabeth Cowart, Elizabeth Register, Elizabeth Skinner, Fort Gilleland, Francis Langhorn Dade, Guilford Register, Harriet Brown, Hillery Cowart, Hillery P. Mathis, Indian Wars, Ivy Register, Jacksonville Road, James B. Johnson, Jesse Shelby Shaw, Jincy Register, John J. Johnson, John Jumper, John Register, John Tomlinson, Joseph Henry Pascal Johnson, Josephine Guthrie, Lavinia Arnold, Leta Lee, Levi J. Knight, Lowndes, Luraney Harnage, Martha Register, Mary Ann Fiveash, Mary Hutto, Matilda McDaniel, Moses C. Lee, Newnansville FL, patten, Phoebe Register, Possum Branch, Priscilla Ann DeVane, Ray City GA, Rebecca Register, Registerville GA, Reubin Register, Samuel E. Register, Samuel Register, Samuel Register Jr, Savannah Albany & Gulf Railroad, Screven GA, Seaborn Lastinger, Seminole Indian Wars, Seminoles, Seneth Lee, Stockton GA, Stockton Georgia, Thomas J. Jessup, Thomas Mathis, Thomasville GA, Troupville GA, W. Wall, War of 1812, William J. Mills, William Parker, William Patten, William Register, Young Johnson, Zachariah Lee, Zilpha Register
According to Folks Huxford, Samuel Register came from Appling County to Lowndes County about 1826 and settled in the 10th Land District near Possum Branch, not too far from the homestead of Levi J. Knight and the future site of Ray City, GA. Samuel Register’s place later became the farm of Jesse Shelby “Dock” Shaw.
Samuel Register was born in Sampson County, North Carolina on December 1, 1786, almost three years before that state would ratify the U.S. Constitution. He was a son of Dorcas and John Register.
Some time before 1804 Samuel Register came with his family to Bulloch County, GA where he apparently made his home for some 20 years, although there is no records to show that he ever owned land there. In April of 1806 he married Elizabeth Skinner, a native of South Carolina.
When the U.S. went to war with Britain from 1812-1815 in response to British actions against American expansion and trade, it appears that Samuel Register, like other Wiregrass pioneers (see Dryden Newbern) joined the Georgia Militia. In the War of 1812 the Georgia Militia was occupied with three main theaters of operation: the Creek War of 1813-14, the British blockade, and the British occupation of St. Marys and Cumberland Island in 1814-15. British control of St. Marys, GA would have disturbed the economy of the entire Wiregrass region, interrupting trade on the Alachua Trail which ran from the Altamaha River through Centerville, GA, then across the St. Marys River and into East Florida. The resistance of the Georgia Militia against the British incursions is described in the New Georgia Encyclopedia article on the War of 1812.
After the War of 1812, Samuel and Elizabeth remained in Bulloch county until about 1824 when they moved to Appling County, and then on to Lowndes county in 1826. In 1827, Samuel Register received a draw in the land lotteries for his service as a soldier in the War of 1812.
The land lotteries, legitimized by questionable and coercive treaties, continued the encroachment by settlers on the ancestral lands of Native Americans in Georgia, inevitably leading to conflict. In Florida, hostilities were greatly escalated in December 1835 by the Dade Massacre, where Seminole Indians resisting forced removal to the West wiped out a force of 110 regular army troops under the command of Major Francis Langhorn Dade. When conflict between the Wiregrass pioneers and the resistant Indians erupted in 1836, local militia fought engagements in Berrien county.
In the summer of 1836, a company of militia under Capt. Levi J. Knight of near Ray City was sent to protect the settlers from marauding Indians on their way to join the Seminoles in Florida. When a party of Indians plundered the plantation of William Parker, near Milltown, the militia pursued them N. E. across the county overtaking them near Gaskins Pond not far from the Alapaha River. Several were killed and some injured as the Indians fled across the river. A few days later the militia encountered more Indians at Brushy Creek and ran them off. That was the last real battle with the Indians in this section.
Across the state line in Florida, actions against Indians were being fought by militia on a regular basis. The Battle of San Felasco Hammock was fought September 18, 1836, when a force of 25 US Army Regulars and 100 horse-mounted militia from Fort Gilleland, with 25 armed residents of Newnansville, FL engaged and routed about 300 Indians led by Seminole Chief John Jumper. Fort Gilleland, a picketed fortification located south of the Santa Fe River at Newnansville in present day Alachua County, FL, was one of a string of forts stretching from Jacksonville, FL to Clay’s Landing, at the mouth of the Suwanee River. Newnansville, the largest inland town in East Florida, was strategically located at the junction of the Jacksonville road and the Bellamy Road which ran from St. Augustine west to Tallahassee and Pensacola. Newnansville was about about 80 miles southeast of Troupville, in Lowndes County, GA.
In the spring of 1837 militia troops from Lowndes county were sent across the state line to join the forces at Fort Gilleland:
Jacksonville, May 11, 1837
—Extract of a letter from Col. Mills, to the Editor, dated Fort Gilliland, May 8.
“Major Staniford, with two companies of the 2d Infantry, arrived here yesterday in obedience to orders from Maj. Gen. Jesup, from Lowndes county, Georgia, and are here encamped, awaiting orders.”
The following summer, in 1837, Samuel Register and other Lowndes county men went south to join the East Florida Volunteer militia to fight against the Indians on the Florida frontier. According to the records of the Florida Department of Military Affairs, Register traveled first to Fort Palmetto, on the Suwanee River at Fanning Springs, FL.
Samuel Register and his sons, David and John, served with “Captain John J. Johnson’s Company of the 2nd Regiment, East Florida Mounted Volunteers, commanded by Colonel William J. Mills, ordered into the service of the United States by Major General Thomas J. Jessup under the Act of Congress approved May 23d 1836, for six months from the 16th day of June 1837 to the 18th day of December 1837. Company enrolled at Fort Palmetto, Florida, and marched sixty miles to place of rendezvous at Fort Gilliland, Fla. Company mustered in by Lieutenant W. Wall, 3d Artillery.”
His son-in-law, John Tomlinson, and two other Registers in this same service and company: Samuel Register Jr and John Register, Jr.. Seaborn Lastinger, of Lowndes County, served as a private; he would be shot for desertion during the Civil War. James B. Johnson and Young Johnson , grand uncles of JHP Johnson of Ray City, served in the Florida Drafted Mounted Militia.
Muster Roll of East Florida Volunteers
Muster Roll of Captain John J. Johnson’s Mounted Company of the 2d Regiment of East Florida Volunteers, 2d Brigade of Florida Militia, Commanded by Colonel William J. Mills.
Muster Roll of Captain John J. Johnson’s Mounted Company of the 2d Regiment of East Florida Volunteers, 2d Brigade of Florida Militia, Commanded by Colonel William J. Mills.
Samuel Register was honorably discharged at Newnansville in December, 1837. He subsequently “served another enlistment in the Indian War under the same Capt Johnson (April 1, 1838-July 31, 1838). He also served a third term under this same Capt Johnson in the Georgia mounted Militia (Aug 25, 1840-Oct 18, 1840). On his Bounty Land application dated Nov 23, 1850, he was granted 160 acres of land for this service. His son-in-law John Tomlinson (husband of Zilpha) who served in the same military unit was granted 80 acres of land for his services”
Between 1840 and 1842, Samuel Register sold out his home-place in the 10th District, and moved from Possum Branch to the 11th Land District where he acquired Land Lot 500. This lot was in that part of Lowndes county that was cut into the new county of Clinch in 1850, and in 1920 was cut out of Clinch into Lanier County.
In 1856, it was a great boon to Register when the Atlantic & Gulf railroad was charted to run from a connection with the Savannah, Albany & Gulf railroad at Screven, by way of his land to Thomasville. But when the surveyors for the new railroad selected a route through Valdosta bypassing Troupville, that old town was doomed. Register had a portion of Lot 500 platted into town lots and founded the town of “Registerville.” Although when the railroad people came through, they changed the name to “Stockton”, in honor of one of their contractors, a Mr. Stockton, who had charge of the road construction.
Children of Samuel Register and Elizabeth Skinner:
- Zilpha Register, born Feb. 4, 1807, married her first cousin John Tomlinson.
- Eady (Edith) Register, born Mar. 1, 1809, married Thomas Mathis Nov. 1, 1826 in Lowndes County.
- Guilford Register, born Jan. 7, 1811, married Priscilla Ann DeVane.
- David Register, born Apr. 10, 1813, married Matilda McDaniel of Bulloch County.
- William Register, born Sept. 24, 1814, married Luraney Harnage from Liberty County.
- John Register, born June 10, 1819, married 1st Elizabeth Cowart, 2nd.Mary Ann Fiveash.
- Rebecca Register, born Apr. 5, 1821, married Reverend Hillery Cowart of Echols County.
- Phoebe Register, born Aug. 15, 1823, married Zachariah Lee of Clinch County.
- Jincy Register, born June 15, 1824, married Moses C. Lee of Berrien County.
- Ivy Register, born Apr. 22, 1825, married 1st Leta Lee, married 2nd Lavinia Arnold
- Samuel E. Register, born Sept. 16, 1826, married 1st Seneth Lee, married 2nd Mary Hutto, married 3rd Josephine Guthrie, lived in Berrien County.
- Elizabeth Register, born Aug. 21, 1828, married William Patten of present Lanier County.
- Reubin Register, born Nov. 25, 1830, married Harriet Brown, lived in present Berrien co.
- Martha Register, born Dec. 18, 1831, married Hillery P. Mathis of present Lanier co.
March 11, 2012 at 12:23 am (Gardner Family, Johnson Family)
Tags: Celeta Gardner, Charles Leon Bryan, Chloe Ann Folsom, Chloe Gardner, David H. Stewart, Dupont GA, Elroy Langdale, Emma Gardner, Floyd B. Johnson, Geraldine Blanche Johnson, Hamilton County FL, Indian Wars, J. D. Langdale, Jennie Gardner, Joseph Flournoy Gardner, Joseph Henry Pascal Johnson, Joseph Wallace Johnson, Lawton Walker Johnson, Martha Ann McCall, Martha Leona Gardner, Mary Gardner, Mildred Lee Johnson, Nashville GA, Pennywell Folsom, Ponce de Leon Gardner, Ray City GA, Robert Bruce Johnson, Rowan Glenn Johnson
Chloe Ann Gardner Johnson
Chloe Ann Gardner Johnson and her husband, Joseph Henry Pascal Johnson, were residents of Ray City, GA for more than 40 years. They were well known in the community and operated businesses in Ray City and Nashville.
Chloe Ann Gardner and Joseph Henry Pascal Johnson on their wedding day, December 17, 1899. They were married at the Methodist Church in DuPont, GA. Image courtesy of Julie Hutson.
Chloe Ann Gardner was born November 11, 1879, a daughter of Martha Ann McCall and Joseph Flournoy Gardner. She was named after her grandmother, Chloe Ann Folsom. Her great grandfather, Pennywell Folsom fell at Brushy Creek during the Indian War of 1836.
Chloe’s father, Joseph Flournoy Gardner (1856-1947), was from Alabama. As a young man he moved to Bartow in Hamilton County, FL. This community, now lost, was perhaps about 50 miles south of Ray’s Mill, GA. There, he married Chloe’s mother, Martha Ann McCall (1856-1932).
Chloe grew up in Hamilton County, FL. Some time before 1900 her parents had moved farther south to central Florida. In 1899, Chloe married Joseph Henry Pascal “Joe” Johnson of DuPont, GA. They were married in the Methodist Church in Dupont.
Chloe Ann Gardner Johnson with her children, parents and siblings, circa 1909. Left to right, top row: sisters Emma Gardner Langdale, Celeta Gardner, Jennie Gardner. Middle row: Elroy Langdale with son J. D. Langdale, Joseph Flourney Gardner, Ponce de Leon Gardner, Martha Ann McCall Gardner, Chloe Ann Gardner Johnson with son Lawton Johnson. Front row: Martha Leona Gardner, Charles “Charlie” Leon Bryan, Chloe’s children – Floyd B. Johnson, Rowan Glenn Johnson, Mildred “Dish” Lee Johnson, Joseph Wallace Johnson. Then David H Stewart, his son Elton Stewart, and Mary Gardner Stewart. Image courtesy of Julie Hutson.
Children of Chloe Ann Gardner Johnson and Joseph Henry Pascal Johnson:
- Rowan Glenn Johnson 1901 – 1962
- Joseph Wallace Johnson 1903 – 1986
- Mildred “Dish” Lee Johnson 1905 – 1989
- Floyd B Johnson 1906 – 1982
- Lawton Walker Johnson 1908 – 1945
- Bess “Bessie” Gardner Johnson 1911 – 2005
- Geraldine Blanche Johnson 1915 – 1989
- James Howard Pascal Johnson 1918 – 1988
- Robert Bruce Johnson 1919 – 2008
- Max Maurice Johnson 1922 – 2012
For several years, the Johnsons, JHP and Chloe, made their home in Dupont, but some time before 1918 moved to Ray City, GA where they remained for the rest of their lives.
50th wedding anniversary of Chloe Ann Gardner and Joseph Henry Pascal Johnson, 1949. Image courtesy of Julie Hutson.
« Older entries