January 28, 2017 at 12:41 am (Faith and Begorrah, Remedies and Medicine, Uncategorized)
Tags: A. M. Holzendorf, Alexander Holzendorf, Algernon S. Talley, Araminta Mississippi Holzendorf, Berrien County Prohibition Association, Butler Lodge No 211, Caleb Talley, Cumberland Island GA, Dr. William Blalock, Edward L. Padrick, Effie C. Talley, Hamilton M. Talley, Huffman Harroll, J. H. Bostic, J. J. Knight, James W. Talley, John W. Turner, Junius Vanvechton Talley, Lelia H. Talley, Louisville Medical College, Mary I. Talley, Mary Little, Medical College of Georgia, Milltown GA, Nathan Talley, Savannah Medical College, William T. Talley, Zabot Little
The Talley family has a long history in Berrien County, GA. Reverend Nathan Talley came, from Greene County, GA to Berrien County with his wife, Martha Travis some time in the 1850s. The Methodist minister resided in the vicinity of Ray’s Mill. He was a neighbor of Keziah Knight, daughter of William Anderson Knight, and her husband Allen Jones. Also residing with the Talleys was Dr. John W. Turner.
Two of Reverend Talley’s own sons were physicians.
Dr. Hamilton M. Talley practiced medicine in Nashville and Valdosta, and also called on residents of Ray’s Mill (now Ray City), GA. In the Civil War, Dr. H.M. Talley served as Captain of Company E, 54th Georgia Regiment, one of the infantry units raised in Berrien County.
Dr. James W. Talley, born had a medical practice in Milltown (now Lakeland), GA.
Dr. James W. Talley, of Milltown (now Lakeland), GA
The following biographical sketch of James W. Talley was written just before his death:
James W. Talley, M.D., was born February 22, 1826 in Henry county, GA, not far from Atlanta, and is of English ancestry. His grandfather, with two brothers, came to this country, and the former, Caleb Talley, after serving during the revolutionary war, settled in Virginia. He was the father of seven sons, five of whom were Methodist ministers. One of these, Rev. Nathan Talley, of Green County, GA, was the father of James W. Talley. The later received a good academic education, and in 1850 began the study of medicine under Dr. William Blalock, of Fayetteville, GA. In 1851, he entered the Medical College of Georgia, at Augusta, but took his degree from Savannah Medical College.
Savannah Medical College, 1867.
He located in Milltown, Berrien, Co., where he has built up one of the most successful and extensive country practices in the state. During the war, Dr. Talley was exempted from military duty on account of his profession. Politically he is a democrat. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of lodge No. 211, has been grand master, and is now past master. One of Dr. Talley’s brothers, H. M. Talley, is also a physician at Valdosta. Another, A.S. [Algernon] Talley, is a real estate agent in Atlanta. For his first wife, Dr. Talley married Miss Mary Little, daughter of Zabot Little, of Henry county. She died in 1867, and he afterward married Miss M. [Araminta Mississippi] Holzendorf, daughter of Alexander Holzendorf, of Cumberland Island, one of the best known planters in the state. [Her brother, Robert Stafford Holzendorf married Satira Lovejoy Lamb, widow of Major John C. Lamb who commanded the 29th Georgia Regiment during the War.]
Dr. Talley’s family consists of two sons and four daughters. His eldest son, Junius V., born May 8, 1872, graduated from the Louisville Medical college in June 1894; William T., born August 30, 1875, at home, attending school. The eldest daughter, born in 1854, is the wife of Huffman Harroll, a merchant of Valdosta; Mary I., born in 1864, married J.H. Bostwick [Bostic], a manufacturer of naval stores in Berrien county [and a trustee of Oaklawn Academy]; Effie C., born November 5, 1870; Lelia H., born September 6, 1873, is the wife of J.J. Knight, a merchant of Milltown.
Dr. J. W. Talley’s son, Dr. Junius V. “June” Talley, after graduating from Louisville Medical College returned to Milltown (now Lakeland), GA where he also took up practice.
In October 1894, Dr. J.W. Talley was elected to the executive committee of the short lived Berrien County Prohibition Association.
Dr. James W. Talley died November 25, 1895. An obituary was published in the Tifton Gazette.
Obituary of Dr. James W. Talley, Tifton Gazette, November 29, 1895
November 29, 1895
Dr. J. W. Talley Dead
Death has again visited our community, and claimed as its victim Dr. J. W. Talley. Dr. Talley came to this country in the year 1856, and has been a practicing physician here ever since. He was an exemplary citizen and a Christian gentleman, having joined the Methodist church in early boyhood, and leaves a large circle of relatives, friends and acquaintances, who were present today at his burial. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. L. Padrick and Rev. Wm. Talley, who read a short history of the deceased’s life. The bereaved wife and children have the deepest sympathy of the entire community. BUTTERFLY.
Grave of James W. Talley, died November 25, 1895. Old City Cemetery, Lakeland, GA. Image source: Ed Hightower
September 19, 2015 at 4:56 am (Faith and Begorrah)
Tags: Cat Creek GA, Cheefoo China, Lowndes County GA, MS Gripsholm, Pearl Allene Todd, Pearl Harbor, Pearl Todd Baptist Retreat, Ray City GA, Ray City School, Southern Baptist Conference, WW II
Pearl Todd, a Southern Baptist missionary from Hahira, GA, served many years in China. While in the U.S. in 1939, she spoke to many audiences, including sharing her China experiences with students at the Ray City School. Pearl Todd was back in China when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred.
Pearl Todd, taken POW by the Japanese in China, returned to Lowndes County in 1942.
Friday September 18, 1942
More Mission Work in China Is Seen ‘Later’
Returned Missionary at Valdosta Tells of Jap ‘Take-Over.’
VALDOSTA, Ga., Sept. 17. The constructive work of missionaries in conquered sections of China has not been lost and it will survive Japan’s “new order,” says a missionary who spent 20 years in China.
The missionary, Miss Pearl Todd, of Lowndes county, added confidently:
“We will take up our work when the World War chaos has been ended.”
Miss Todd returned recently on the Gripsholm, diplomatic exchange ship. She told of one rather severe brush with Japanese authorities after they took over mission schools along with other property at Cheefoo, Shantung province, following the attack on Pearl Harbor.
It involved “signing away” some properties of the Southern Baptist Conference. With a twinkle of humor in her eye, she added:
They already had the property, and I signed under duress.”
She feared the loss of her typewriter, which had a mission report in it. Miss Todd said Japanese soldiers who inspected it apparently could not read English and they left it. She said there were some sentences on the sheet in the typewriter which were not complimentary to the Japs.
In the 1940s, the Pearl Todd Baptist Retreat operated in the Cat Creek Community about 8 miles southwest of Ray City, GA.
Pearl Todd Baptist Retreat, located near the Cat Creek Community, operated from the 1940s to 1970s.
Pearl Todd Baptist Retreat, located near the Cat Creek Community, operated from the 1940s to 1970s.
“Nashville” and “Adel” dormitories at Pearl Todd Baptist Retreat.
August 27, 2015 at 1:00 am (Faith and Begorrah)
Tags: Chefoo, 烟台, Edward Todd, Emma Todd, Fukuoka, Kuni Anazawa Wada, New Bethel Church, Pearl Allene Todd, Ray City School, Southern Baptist Missionaries, Williams Memorial Girls School, Yantai China
In the Spring of 1939, renowned Missionary, Pearl Todd, came to visit the students of the Ray City School.
“Miss Pearl Allene Todd, was born in Hahira, GA, on November 2, 1890, to Rev. Edward and Emma Todd, one of five children. She came to Christ at the age of thirteen and was baptized in Plant City, Florida. Later, she graduated from Tift College with a degree in Classical Studies in 1913.” – Pearl Allene Todd – Missionary to China.
Pearl Todd became a Southern Baptist Missionary and went to China in 1919. Upon arriving in Shantung , she was stationed in the port city of Chefoo where she served as the principal of Williams Memorial Girls School. Chefoo (now “Yantai” 烟台) is one of two major port cities in the Shantung Province and is the city in which Miss Todd spent her missionary career teaching women, only taking furloughs from May 14, 1927, to July 18, 1931 during Chiang Kai-shek’s Northern Expedition, then from May 29, 1938, to August 19, 1939.
It was while on furlough in the Spring of 1939 that Pearl Todd came to Ray City to visit with students at the Ray City School. Miss Todd told the students of life in China sharing with them her many experiences with the Chinese people, and taught them to sing a children’s song in the Chinese language.
In August, 1939, Pearl Todd returned to China. Her work was interrupted in 1941 when she was taken prisoner at the onset of World War II.
After being repatriated in 1942, she spent seven years completing deputation work stateside, after which she returned to the Foreign Missionary Board to serve seven years in Fukuoka, Japan, from Jan 7, 1950, to her retirement on August 21, 1957.
Grave of Pearl Allene Todd, New Bethel Church near Ray City, GA. She was Southern Baptist Missionary in China and Japan. She visited with students at the Ray City School in 1939.
June 20, 2015 at 12:56 am (Faith and Begorrah)
Tags: Audrey Nicholson, Beaver Dam Baptist Church - Ray City GA, Bell Pierce, Berta Sutton, Cedartown GA, chaplain of the Georgia House of Representatives, Charles Ennis Vizant, Eugenia Wilson, Frank Park, George Hires, Georgia Baptist Convention, Good Hope Baptist Church, Harold Wages, John Nicholson, Lakeland GA, Lithonia GA, Lula Sutton, Lynn Haven Baptist Church FL, Mary Knight, Mason, Milltown Baptist Church, Milltown GA, Naylor GA, New Shiloh Baptist Church, O. M. Cameron, Pavo GA, Ray City Baptist Church, Ray City GA, Rev. A. L. Colson, Rev. Dr. A. R. Faralane, Rev. E.D. McDaniel, Rev. L.J. Knight, Rev. Roy Powell, Rev. W. Harvey Wages, State Baptist Executive Committee of the Georgia Baptist Convention, Stockton Baptist Church, Thomas County GA, W. Harvey Wages, Will Williams, William Pierce, Wilson Family Cemetery
Reverend W. Harvey Wages
In the 1920s Reverend W. Harvey Wages served as pastor of the Ray City Baptist Church. He was tall and slender with blue eyes, an enthusiastic and talented young minister. Reverend Wages would go on to become a leading pastor of Georgia churches, a member of the State Baptist Executive Committee of the Georgia Baptist Convention, and chaplain of the Georgia House of Representatives.
W. Harvey Wages was born June 30, 1889 in Cedartown, Polk County, GA. Some time before 1907, the Wages came from Polk to Thomas County. On December 22, 1907, W. Harvey Wages married Eugenia Wilson in Thomas County. She was born December 24, 1891.
By 1915 W. Harvey Wages had taken up the Baptist ministry in Thomas County, and in 1920 he was serving as pastor of the Baptist church in Pavo, GA. About 1921, Reverend Wages moved his family to Ray City, GA where he took over as pastor of the Ray City Baptist Church. Within a few months, he was also serving as pastor of the Milltown Baptist Church.
In October, 1922, Reverend Wages gave up the Ray City Baptist Church.
Oct 28, 1922 pg 6
Milltown, Ga., October 26.-(Special.) – Rev. W. Harvey Wages, who resigned the pastorate of the Ray City Baptist church recently moved his family here this week that he may be able more carefully to look after the Milltown church. Mr. Wages has been living in Ray City about a year, during which time he was pastor of the Baptist church there. He has been pastor of the Baptist church in Milltown for several months.
By 1923, Reverend Wages was also serving as pastor of the Stockton Baptist Church. He continued to be quite active in many revivals throughout this section, as well as weddings, funerals, and other ceremonies. In 1923, Rev. Wages conducted a revival at Good Hope Baptist Church – Perry Thomas Knight had served as pastor of this church in 1909.
August 24, 1923 Pg 7
HOLD MANY REVIVALS NEAR MILLTOWN, GA
Milltown, Ga., August 23. — (special.)–The revival meeting season is still on in this section.
Rev. W. Harvey Wages, pastor of the local Baptist church, is conducting a revival meeting at Good Hope church in the southern part of Lanier county, near Naylor. Rev. Roy Powell, of Nashville, Ga., is the pastor of this church. The meeting began last Saturday and will go on through this week.
September 29, 1923
Many Weddings in Milltown.
Milltown, Ga., September 29. – Mrs. Lula Sutton has announced the marriage of her daughter, Berta Sutton to Charles Ennis Vizant, of Jacksonville, Fla., which occurred some days ago at the home of her cousin, O. M. Cameron, the ceremony being performed by Rev. E.D. McDaniel of Avondale Baptist church, Jacksonville. Mr. and Mrs. Vizant are at home to their friend at 1546 Roselle street, Jacksonville, Fla.
The many friends of Miss Mary Knight, who is well known in this state will be interested in the announcement by her father and mother, Rev. and Mrs. L. J. Knight, of Milltown, Ga., that Rev. Dr. A. R. Faralane, of Kansas City, Mo. and Miss Mary Knight, of Milltown, Ga., late of Independence, Mo. were married at Independence, Mo., Friday, September 7.
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Pierce, of East Lanier, announce the marriage of their daughter, Miss Bell Pierce to George Hires, of near Waycross, the ceremony being performed by Rev. W. Harvey Wages, of Milltown. They are living near Waycross.
Miss Audrey Nicholson, the attractive young daughter of Mr. John Nicholson, of Ousley, Ga., was married Sunday afternoon to Will Williams, of near Morven. The ceremony was performed by Rev. A. L. Colson, near Valdosta, being witnessed bu a few intimate friends. The young couple will make their home near Morven, in Brooks county.
– In 1928, Reverend W. Harvey Wages suffered the loss of his 11-year-old son, Harold Wages. The boy was buried at the New Shiloh Baptist Church cemetery,
June 9, 1928
Harold Wages Buried Near Thomasville, GA.
Thomasville, Ga., June 9. – Funeral services were held yesterday at New Shiloh Baptist Church, six miles north of Thomasville on the highway to Moultrie, for Harold Wages, 11-year-old son of Rev. and Mrs. W. Harvey Wages, who died Wednesday in Lithonia, Ga. Interment was in the church cemetery at New Shiloh.
Rev. Mr. Wages and his family resided here for some years, removing four years ago to Lithonia, where Mr. Wages is pastor of one of the churches. They have a number of relatives and friends in Thomas county and young Harold, when his family lived here, was popular with a large connection and regarded as a boy of many attractive qualities and fine intelligence. His death was the result of blood poisoning contracted only a few days before he died.
Reverend W. Harvey Wages was active with the Masons, July 23, 1915.
July 23, 1915
Thomas County Masons Meet.
Thomasville, Ga., July 22. – (Special.) The Thomas county Masonic convention which met yesterday with the Coolidge lodge was greatly enjoyed by the large number of Masons in attendance from all of the various lodges throughout the county. The speech of welcome was made by the Rev. Harvey Wages, and other short talks were made by visitors from the different lodges.
The chief feature of the convention was the address of Congressman Frank Park, whose subject, “Masonry, Exposed,” was treated in an able manner.
After a big picnic dinner there was work during the afternoon in the various degrees.
Congressman Frank Park owned a large plantation in Worth County, and had been responsible for organizing the great Possum Banquet, with ‘taters and persimmon beer for President Taft in Atlanta in 1909.
Reverend W. Harvey Wages later served as pastor of Lynn Haven Baptist Church, Panama City, FL. He died September 27, 1971. He was buried at the Wilson Family Cemetery, Thomas County, Georgia, USA. Eugenia Wilson Wages died June 5, 1977 and was buried next to her husband.
February 25, 2014 at 2:35 am (Faith and Begorrah, Knight Family)
Tags: Alapaha River, Ansel Parrish, B. P. Lovett, Beaver Dam Creek, Big Meeting, Burnt Church, Carter's Meeting House, Chattahoochee River, Creek Indians, E. R. Rhoden, Edmond Mathis, Elizabeth Patten, Fleming Bates, Flemming Bates, G. L. Robinson, Indian Wars, Irwin County GA, Isaac Delk Hutto, Isham Albert Wetherington, Isham Peacock, Israel G. Carter, J. A. Chitty, J. A. O'steen, J. D. Peters, J. L. Robertson, J. S. Shaw, Jacob Hughes, James Alfred Weaver, James L. Robinson, James Pattem, James Walker, Jesse Carter, John Lee, John P. Tomlinson, John Studstill, John T. Watson, Jonathan Knight, Joshua Lee, Joshua Sykes, Josiah Sirmans, Lanier County GA, Levi Drawdy, Levi J. Knight, Martha Lee, Matthew Albritton, Ochlocknee Primitive Baptist Association, Okefenokee Swamp, Orville A. Knight, Orville Knight, Owen Smith, Piedmont Primitive Baptist Association, Ray City GA, Richard H. Burkhalter, Salem Church, Suwannee Primitive Baptist Association, Timothy William Stallings, Union Church, Union Primitive Baptist Church, Unity Church, W. H. Lastinger, W. R. Rhoden, William Anderson Knight, William Giddens, William H. Tomlinson, William J. Knight, William Patten
Located in present day Lanier County, GA, the old Union Church lies about 10 miles east of where Levi J. Knight settled on Beaver Dam Creek (now Ray City, GA). It was the first church to serve the pioneer settlers of this region. L. J. Knight’s parents, Sarah and William Anderson Knight , were among the organizing members of the church. Built on land provided by Jesse Carter, the church was originally referred to as Carter’s Meeting House, and later designated Union Church.
The church and cemetery were on a trail used by the Creek Indians traveling between the Chattahoochee River and the Okefenokee Swamp. During the Indian Wars, 1836-1838, the church building was partially burned. The fire-damaged timbers were used in the reconstruction, and since that time Union Church has also been known as Burnt Church.
“Union Baptist Church, on the Alapaha River ….was constituted October 21, 1825, the first church in the old area of Irwin County. The original members William A. Knight; his wife, Sarah; Jonathan Knight; his wife, Elizabeth; Joshua Lee; his wife, Martha; James Patten; his wife, Elizabeth; Mary Knight; Josiah Sirmans, deacon. The Rev. Matthew Albritton served the church as its first minister.”
Union Church, Lanier County, GA
In Pines and pioneers: A history of Lowndes County, Georgia, 1825-1900, author J. T. Shelton gave the following description described a Big Meeting at Union church:
“The old church had a door on every side for easy access, a rostrum along one wall with seats facing it from three directions. The arrangement allowed the seating of slaves on one side. With feet planted firmly on the wide floor boards, the congregation sat on the pews, each a single plank. The women of the church had scrubbed down with potash and homemade soap both pews and flooring, and the wood had a soft, silvery sheen. The pulpit was seven feet long, twelve inches wide and two inches thick; three to five preachers sat on a long bench behind the pulpit until each had his turn to address the assembly. The exhorter then paced up and down the generous space provided, and he held forth for two hours before the next preacher had his chance. Listeners came and went; mothers carried out crying babies; little boys believed that they would starve to death before they could get outside to the loaded dinner tables that were as much a part of Big Meeting as the preaching.”
In 1928-30, The Clinch County News published a series of articles on the history of Union Church, portions of which are excerpted below:
HISTORY OF OLD UNION CHURCH
Union Primitive Baptist Church, the mother of all the churches of this faith in this immediate section of Georgia, was organized or constituted October 1st, 1825. The presbytery consisted of Elders Fleming Bates and Mathew Albritton.
As is well known, the church is located on the banks of the Alapaha River about 1 1/2 miles south of Lakeland formerly old Milltown. It stands to-day where it has always stood for the past 108 years (1933). The cemetery close by contains the graves of many pioneers and old citizens of east Lowndes, southeast Berrien and western Clinch counties. Baptisms have always taken place in the nearby river, it not being over one hundred yards from the church to the river. A high bluff with a sharp bend in the river’s course is the visitor’s introduction after he has passed the church. Several steady-flowing springs of fine drinking water are to be found on the banks, and eminating from the walls of the bluff. Part of the bluff slopes off to the river’s edge at the river bend thus making an ideal place for baptism purposes.
The little log-house which was the first building on the site of the present church, had come to be known as Carter’s Meeting House prior to the organization of the church. For some months prior it had been the scene of monthly meetings or services, and it was the expression of the desire of the settlers to have some kind of divine services in their midst, for there was not a church to be found of any denomination from the Altamaha River to the Florida and Alabama lines. The settlers in this immediate vicinity were more numerous than in most of the settlements, and many of them Carters. The meeting-house took its name from old man Jesse Carter and he probably gave the land and his boys had a hand in building the original log house to hold services in. The earliest settlers had only been living here four years at the time, while the most of them had not living here hardly a year. Knights, Carters, Giddens and Lees made up most of the settlers west of the river while on the east side of the river were to be found Tomlinsons, Sirmans and Fenders, Corbitts and Mathises. Further down the river could be found the Wetheringtons, Swilleys, Peters, Walkers, and Roberts.
Elder William A. Knight, at that time a layman, was one of the leading spirits in the formation of the church. As already stated it was Elders Bates and Albritton who presided at the organization of the church, but to “Old Father Knight” as many people called him in his lifetime, may be attribute more than anyone else the religious activities of the community in those days when the first settlers were moving in. He led in prayer and in song, and when the preacher failed to keep an appointment because of lurking Indians, high waters or other providential hindrances it was Bro. Knight who took charge and carried on the service. Five years after the church was organized he was licensed to preach the Gospel and two years later (1832) he was ordained to the full Gospel ministry.
Union Church had been constituted under the auspices of the Piedmont Primitive Baptist Association, but by 1827 the establishment of a number of new churches prompted a desire to divide the association. Fleming Bates and Matthew Albritton, of Union Church, were appointe to lead the local organization of “seven Baptist churches situated between the Alapaha and Flint River” into the new Ochlocknee Primitive Baptist Association. The Ochlocknee Association grew rapidly and by 1833 included 35 churches and 1,010 members. William A. Knight was appointed to travel these new churches to instruct them on their duties and responsibilities to the Association. By 1835, when Union Church and other churches of south Georgia and north Florida again sought to divide from the Ochlocknee Primitive Baptist Association, Knight served on the presbytery in the organization of the new Suwannee Primitive Baptist Association.
Clinch County News
September 20, 1929
HISTORY OF OLD UNION CHURCH
As has been stated before, the minutes of the church from the beginning in 1825 to 1832 have been lost. We understand, however, that Rev. William A. Knight was the first pastor as well as the guiding hand of the church during these early years. It is certain that he was one of the charter members and the only ordained minister holding his membership with the church during that time. Assuming that he was pastor during those seven years, the list of pastors up to recently , is as follows:
If the writer could properly write the life of these earnest consecrated servants of the Lord, it would be equal to writing an account of the religious life of this section in the Primitive Baptist denomination. Fearless in fighting sin and bold in preaching Christ and faithful in contending for the Faith, they have served nobly and well and unborn generations will bear witness to the fruits of their work. With few exceptions the writer has not sufficient biographical data at hand now to write of their individual lives, but we know of their godly records. We hope to write later of the lives of these great preachers.
The clerks of the church likewise contain a list of fine men, known throughout their communities and counties for their good, upright lives, and their staunch Christian characters. We do not know who the first clerk was.
- Owen Smith September 7, 1832
- Joshua Sykes January 12, 1839
- Isaac D. Hutto April 13, 1845
- William Patten May 10, 1851
- William Lastinger July 8, 1854
- John Studstill Jan 9, 1858
- William Giddens May 7, 1863
- E. R. Rhoden October 8, 1891
- W. R. Rhoden November 10, 1894
- J. L. Robertson February 12, 1898
- Wm. J. Knight May 12, 1900
- J. A. Weaver August 10, 1901
- G. L. Robinson September 12, 1924
- J. A. Weaver September 12, 1925
- J. S. Shaw October 8, 1926
A good portion of the minutes is in the handwriting of assistant clerks. These assistant clerks were generally elected by the church, but of late years there have been no assistants. The list of assistant clerks is as follows:
- William A. Knight 1834-1837
- Levi Drawdy 1837-1848
- James Walker 1853-1854
- Richard H. Burkhalter 1861-1862
- John P. Tomlinson 1887-1900
- John T. Watson 1900-1902
The church has had but few deacons during its 105 years [as of 1929] of existence. There were apparently never over two at the time, and when elected they served for life unless sooner dismissed by letter or otherwise. The list given below is full of as fine men as ever lived in this section. We do not in the list make any attempt to show how long they served except in those cases where they died members of the church. We do not know who the first deacons of the church were. List follows:
Bro. Edmund Mathis, one of the deacons, having removed his membership, Bro. Joshua Lee was elected in his place March 10, 1833, and ordained April 13, 1833 by Elders Peacock, Friar and Knight.
September 6, 1839, Bro. Edmund Mathis was received back into the membership by letter from Concord church, Hamilton County, Fla., and acted as a deacon until dismissed again by letter April 10, 1841.
On June 13, 1841, brethren Jacob Hughes and John Lee were ordained deacons. Members of the presbytery not shown by minutes.
March 13, 1852, brethren Richard H. Burkhalter and J. D. Peters were elected deacons. They were ordained June 12, 1852 but the minutes do not show who constituted the presbytery. Bro. Burkhalter died in 1862 and Bro. Peters also died a member but we do not know when.
The minutes do not show any further ordination of deacons until 1891 when Bro. John P. Tomlinson was elected on May 9th. On June 13, 1891 he was ordained by Elders J. A. O’steen and T. W. Stallings.
On December 9, 1899, Bro. James L. Robinson was elected a deacon but was never ordained.
On November 10, 1906 Bro. Israel G. Carter was elected a deacon and ordained January 12, 1907 by Elders B.P. Lovett from Salem Church, I. A. Wetherington from Unity church, A. A. Knight , the pastor.
On October 9, 1909, Bro. J. A. Weaver was elected deacon, and ordained February 12, 1910 by Elders Wetherington, Chitty and A. A. Knight .
The minutes do not disclose that the church ever had any treasurer until 1909 whem on October 9th, Bro. J. A. Weaver was elected as such.
Historic Marker – Union Church, organized 1825. Sarah and William A. Knight were founding members.
Some other members of Union Church:
- William Hughes – joined by letter, December 8, 1838
- William Wesley Johnson – baptized August 10, 1839
- Amelia Sherley Johnson – baptized June 13, 1840
- John Lee – joined by letter, June 8, 1839
- Elender Wetherington Lee – joined by letter, June 8, 1838
- Joshua Lee – constituting member, October1, 1825
- Martha Ford Lee – constituting member, October1, 1825
- Moses C. Lee – baptized September 11, 1841
- Jincey Register Lee – baptized September 10, 1854
- Thomas Mathis – united 1839, dismissed by letter December 12, 1840
- Eady Mathis – united 1839, dismissed by letter December 12, 1840
- Tyre Mathis – joined by letter April 12, 1828, dismissed by letter December 11, 1847
- Nancy Lee Mathis – joined by letter April 12, 1828, dismissed by letter December 11, 1847
- Mehala Rice Monk – joined by letter 1838
- William Patten – baptized September 9, 1848, dismissed by letter March 11, 1854 to organize Empire Church
May 18, 2013 at 12:16 am (Education In the Wiregrass, Faith and Begorrah, Knight Family)
Tags: A. C. Pyle, Addie Stansell, Annie Hall, Annie May Arnold, Belle Brinson, Berrien County GA, Brushy Creek Church, Dr. W. S. Patten, Elizabeth Morgan, Ethel Jones, Etna Shaw, Ewell Brown, Fannie Clements, Good Hope Baptist Church, Graham Forrester, H. D. Warnock, J. A. Lott, J. H. Bostic, J. W. Garbutt;, James Cuthbert Wilkinson, Jessie Elliot, John E. Barnard, Kitty Watson, L. R. Christie, Leila Connell, Lizzie Morgan, Lizzie T. Bennett, Lucius M. Stanfill, Luther Rice Christie, M. W. Bargeron, Marcus Warland Bargeron, Milltown GA, Naylor GA, Oaklawn Academy, Oaklawn Baptist Academy, Orrie Brown, Ossie H. Burruss, Perry Thomas Knight, Ray City GA, Ruth Smith, S. K. Patten, Thomas H. Jeffries, Valdosta Baptist Association, W. O. Young, Waresboro Church, Willie Chism
Perry Thomas Knight, subject of previous posts, studied the ministry at Oaklawn Baptist Academy in Milltown (now Lakeland), GA. Perry T. Knight was the son of George Washington Knight and Rhoda (Futch) Knight, and the grandson of Aaron and Nancy (Sloan) Knight, and of John M. and Phoebe (Mathis) Futch. Knight grew up in Ray City and became prominent in local and state government.
Perry Thomas Knight image detail. Original image courtesy of berriencountyga.com
While a ministerial student at Oaklawn Baptist Academy in 1909, Perry Thomas Knight was already a popular preacher.
Young Preachers’ Good Work
Milltown, Ga., April 28 – Rev. P. T. Knight, one of the ministerial students of the Oaklawn Baptist college, who is pastor of Good Hope Baptist church, near Naylor, is having phenominal success in his church work, Rev. Knight at almost every service gets an accession to his church. In addition to being pastor of Good Hope Baptist church, Rev. Knight is also pastor of Brushy Creek church, near Nashville, Lois church and Waresboro church, near Waycross. H. D. Warnock, W. O. Young, Willie Chism, other ministerial students of the same college are doing great work as missionaries for the Baptist cause.
Work began on the school in 1905 and the construction progressed rapidly.
The Valdosta Times
June 23, 1906 pg 7
Work on Milltown School
Work has been progressing bravely upon the Milltown college, a large force of hands being already at work. The construction is being pushed as rapidly as possible on account of the desire to be ready to open the school as soon as possible. The original plans called for the construction of three large buildings, though it is thought now that five buildings will be erected. The building grounds are said to be the handsomest in the state and the college campus will be one of the prettiest in the south when it is completed. It contains fifteen acres and a pretty creek runs through the groves making it easy to convert them into a beautiful park.
The Atlanta Constitution
August 20, 1907
NEW EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION IS BEING BUILT UP AT MILLTOWN
The new buildings of the High school of the Valdosta Baptist association, at Milltown, Ga….are rapidly nearing completion and will soon be ready for occupancy. The larger building in the center, in which the classrooms will be located, is practically finished. It will easily accommodate four or five hundred students. The smaller buildings on each side are the dormitories, one for boys and one for girls, each having accommodations for practically one hundred. The large building and one of the dormitories have been erected on small subscriptions, not a single give of more than $1,000 having been received. The other dormitory is the gift of one man, who agreed to furnish the money for it, if enough to completely pay the cost of the other two buildings was raised. Of this amount only $10.000 is now lacking and strenuous efforts are being made by the Valdosta Baptist association to raise this sum. Rev. Graham Forrester, formerly one of the most prominent lawyers of the state, but now missionary of the Valdosta Baptist association, which includes portions of Lowndes, Berrien, Echols, Coffee, Ware, and Clinch counties, with headquarters in Valdosta, has been put in charge of the work of raising this money and is now in Atlanta for that purpose. Mr. Forrester, in speaking of the school, said that it was one of the most promising institutions in South Georgia, ideally located, and with no other school of like character in its immediate section. Its graduates are fitted for the sophomore classes of the large colleges. The school is situated at Milltown, in Berrien county, owns 15 acres of land, through which a beautiful stream runs, and which is heavily wooded with water oaks. The institution had last year, when it was run in connection with the Milltown public school, an attendance of 200 and an increase is looked for this term. Mr. Forrester declared his intention of staying in north Georgia until he got his $10,000, “for,” said he, “south Georgia has been contributing to north Georgia educational institutions for years and it is now north Georgia’s time to help us.”
By fall of 1906 construction had progressed to the point where classes could begin. The school opened September 17, 1906. A partial list of the administrators and faculty who served at the school has been gleaned from newspaper accounts.
Board of Trustees
Dr. John E. Barnard, President
Dr. W. S. Patten
S. K. Patten
J. H. Bostic
Lucius M. Stanfill
J. W. Garbutt
Reverend A. C. Pyle, 1909
1906-1911 James Cuthbert Wilkinson, Science and English Bible
1911 J. A. Lott
1911 Sidney J. Underwood
1916-1921 J.A. Lott, Jr.
Reverend L. R. Christie
M. W. Bargeron
Miss Annie Hall, A.B. – English and History
Miss Ossie H. Burruss, A.B. – Latin and Greek
Miss Leila Connell, A.B. Mathematics
Miss Annie May Arnold, A.B., B.M. – Piano and Coronet
Miss Belle Brinson, A.B., B.M. – Violin and Preparatory
Miss Elizabeth Morgan – Preparatory
Miss Davis, Oratory
Miss Lizzie Morgan
Miss Jessie Elliot, Elocution
Miss Lizzie T. Bennett, Latin and English
Miss Etna Shaw, Principal of 6th, 7th, and 8th grades
Miss Fannie Clements, Primary Grades
Miss Ethel Jones, Instrumental and Vocal Music
Miss Kitty Watson, Oratory
Miss Orrie Brown, Shorthand and Typewriting
Ruth Smith, Expression
Miss Addie Stansell
Miss Wells, Music
Construction on the school continued for years, sometimes in the face of financial challenges. By spring of 1909 the main building was nearing completion.
The Atlanta Constitution
April 24, 1909
Big Time at Milltown
Milltown, Ga., April 23. – (Special.) – The local Masonic Lodge is figuring on having a big time on the completion of the main building of the Oaklawn Baptist college situated at this place. The Masons will lay the cornerstone with the usual Masonic ceremonies. They expect to have Grand Master Jeffries and Grand Senior Warden Henry Banks and, possibly some other men who stand high in Masonry. The Oaklawn school will also have, on the opening day, several prominent speakers, and together with the Masons, they expect to have a big time. The date for this big occasion will be announced later, as the carpenters and painters are putting the finishing touches on the building now.
November 15, 2012 at 12:50 am (Faith and Begorrah, Troupville of Old Lowndes County, Wiregrass Methodists)
Tags: Adam Graham, Beech Branch South Carolina, Benjamin C. Clay, Charles H. Howell, Duncan Lodge, Ephriam H. Platt, Fleming Bates, Flemming Bates, J. T. C. Adams, James H. Carroll, John B. Cashan, John Brown, John Hagan, John J. Triggs, John Slade, l, Levi J. Knight, Malachi Hagan, Mary Bell, Mason, Morgan G. Swain, Norman Campbell, St. John the Baptist Lodge No. 184, Swain's Hotel, Tallahassee Florida, Tallahassee Mission, Thomas Ellis, Thomas W. Ellis, Troupville Circuit, Troupville GA, Wakulla Methodist Church, William Anderson Knight, William C. Newbern, William H. Dasher, William J. Mabry, William T. Roberts
Reverend John Slade, Methodist minister, came to the Wiregrass to take up preaching around 1821 and he was a familiar figure throughout South Georgia and Northern Florida. “He was tall, with an athletic build, high forehead and a strong, clear, musical voice. He was described as being very striking in appearance, and it was said that he possessed an intellect of high order and that he resembled Andrew Jackson,” according to the history of Wakulla Methodist Church where he later served as pastor. On July 31, 1825 Reverend Slade married a Tallahassee, FL girl whom descendants say was Mary Bell. Her brothers founded the town of Bellville, TX.
In 1826 Reverend Slade rode the Tallahassee Mission which encompassed a vast area of north Florida and South Georgia, including the newly created Lowndes County. Lowndes then included the areas of present day Berrien, Lanier, Brooks, Cook and Tift counties.There were few settlers and very few, if any, churches in this territory. About 1832, a Methodist church was established at the site of Troupville, Lowndes county, but the population of Methodist churches in Lowndes was not sufficient to sustain a pastor preaching on a regular circuit until 1841. In 1847 and 1854 Reverend Slade was the circuit-rider on the Troupville circuit.
Quoting from Hamilton W. Sharpe’s reminiscences in the Wesleyan Christian Advocate in 1884:
“I recall the Rev. John Slade, one of the first preachers of this section. He was a good man, powerful in prayer, and a clear exponent of Gospel truth; is long since gone. At a session of the Florida Conference in Thomasville presided over by Bishop Early, the Bishop was so impressed with Brother Slade’s prayers that he seldom called on any other brother to lead in prayer.”
Reverend Slade was superannuated by the South Carolina Conference in 1829 on account of exposures suffered by him while in this frontier section…
Circuit riding Methodist preacher.
The following facts about Reverend Slade come from The History of Jefferson County, FL:
Searching available records for the earliest establishment of Methodism in Florida, it is found that in 1821 the Reverend John J. Triggs was in charge of Allapaha mission in the southern part of Georgia. During the year he amplified his work, and extended his labors southward. In all probability he was the first Methodist minister to preach in middle Florida, after it became American Territory. Associated with him in the work of evangelizing the newer south, was the Reverend John Slade, hardy pioneer of the faith, who prosecuted his mission of extending the Gospel with such ardor and success that he has been called the “Father of Methodism in Florida.”
Reverend John Slade, along with Reverend Fleming Bates and Thomas Ellis, witnessed the Last Will and Testament of John Hagan, dated Oct. 28, 1822 and probated Nov. 4, 1822, Camden County, GA. Reverend Bates was an Elder in the Primitive Baptist faith, and of the original presbytery that constituted Union Church, the mother of all the Primitive Baptist churches in this section. The Executors of Hagan’s estate were Malachi Hagan and William Anderson Knight, Primitive Baptist and father of Ray City settler Levi J. Knight.
In The History of Georgia Methodism from 1786 to 1866, Reverend George Smith writes about Slade’s first experience as a circuit riding preacher.
…a mission in the southwest of the new purchase was organized, to which two preachers were sent, John J. Triggs and John Slade. To reach this appointment they had to ride through the Indian nation for a long distance, and had to ride in all four hundred miles from the conference.
Triggs had gone out from the last conference, to organize the mission, and now an assistant was sent to him, John Slade, who was recognized as the father of Florida Methodism, though he was not the first to preach the Gospel in the new territory.
He was born in South Carolina, and was now thirty-three years old. He had travelled one year as a supply before 1823, but now for the first time entered the travelling connection, and was appointed to the Chattahoochee Mission.
After travelling about seven years he located, and gave useful labor as a local preacher, to the building up of the Church in Florida. He re- entered the Florida Conference in 1845, and travelled in it till his death in 1854. He was a fine specimen of a man. He was tall, well proportioned, with a fine face. He sang well and preached with power. The country in which Triggs and Slade preached was in the corner of three States, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Their circuit was an immense one. The people were perhaps the rudest in the States, and though now and then, on the better lands, they found some thrifty settlers, generally they were the poorest and most ignorant class of stock-raisers.
Fredrick Smallwood, church historian for the Attapulgus, GA United Methodist Church wrote of Reverend Slade in 2002. Slade is believed to have founded the church at Attapulgus about 1830.
“Rev. John Slade did serve (as circuit riding preacher) with John T. Trigg on the Chattahoochee Mission of the Oconee District of the South Carolina Conference in 1823. The Georgia Conference didn’t come into existence until 1830. The life of a Circuit Riding Preacher was a hard life. He traveled by horseback, as there were no roads and few towns. He would travel as far as his horse could take him each day, in all kinds of weather, spend the night at the house where he found himself when nightfall caught him. He would usually preach to this house and neighbors, if there were some close by. He usually made his circuit once a month. He was also paid very little and usually these preachers were not married nor owned homes of their own for obvious reasons. Due to the toll on his health, he was required to “locate”; that means not ride the circuit but stay in one place. Since he didn’t ride a circuit, he didn’t get paid either.”
Reverend John Slade was a Mason and when a lodge was formed at Troupville, GA he became a member there. The lodge met on the first and third Tuesday nights upstairs in Swains Hotel, situated on the banks of Little River and owned by Morgan G. Swain. According to the History of Lowndes County, GA, the new lodge was St. John the Baptist Lodge No. 184, constituted at Troupville on November 2, 1854 with the following officers and charter members:
Reverend Thomas W. Ellis, Worshipful Master; Ephriam H. Platt, Senior Warden; Benjamin C. Clay, Junior Warden; Charles H. Howell, Secretary; John Brown, Treasurer; William H. Dasher, Senior Deacon; J. T. C. Adams, Junior Deacon; John B. Cashan, Tyler.
Other members in addition to Reverend Slade were: Norman Campbell, William C. Newbern, William T. Roberts, James H. Carroll, Adam Graham, Thomas Moore, William Dees, Daniel Mathis, Thomas D. Wilkes, S. D. Smith, James Harrell, J. N. Waddy. William J. Mabry, George Brown, William Jones, J. C. Pautelle, J. R. M. Smith, Reverend F. R. C. Ellis, Robert B. Hester, Andrew J. Liles, William Godfrey, W. D. M. Howell, Hustice Moore, J. Harris, W. H. Carter, William A. Sanford, Willis Allen, Jeremiah Williams, William A. Carter, John R. Walker, William D. Martin, J. E. Stephens, R. W. Leverertt, L. M. Ayers, S. Manning, James Carter, Willis Roland, John W. Clark, James A. Darsey, the Entered Apprentices Judge Richard A. Peeples, William Ashley, J. J. Goldwire, snd Fellowcrafts William T. Roberts and Moses Smith.
One of Slade’s fellow lodge members at Troupville was William J. Mabry, who in 1856 moved to Nashville, GA, seat of the newly created Berrien County, where he built the first Berrien court house in 1857 and also became the first Worshipful Master of Duncan Lodge No. 3. Later, the St. John the Baptist Lodge No. 184 was moved from Troupville to Valdosta, GA.
The following sketch of John Slade is from Annals of the American pulpit : or, Commemorative notices of distinguished American clergymen of various denominations : from the early settlement of the country to the close of the year eighteen hundred and fifty-five : with historical introductions published in 1859:
OF THE FLORIDA CONFERENCE.
John Slade was born on Beech Branch, Beaufort District, S. C, on the 7th of April, 1790. He was brought up in comparative obscurity, with very limited advantages for education. When he was about thirty years of age, he became hopefully a subject of renewing grace, and connected himself with the Methodist Episcopal Church, in Camden County, Ga. He attributed his conversion, instrumentally, to the influence of his grandmother, an eminently pious person, who took great pains to give a right direction to his youthful mind, not only instructing him in the truths of religion, but often taking him with her, when he was a mere child, into the place of her private devotions, and earnestly supplicating for him the blessing of a renovated heart. After he had reached manhood, the good seed which had been thus early sown, germinated, and ultimately matured into a rich harvest of Christian virtues and graces.
Soon after he joined the Church, his brethren were so much impressed by his talents and piety that they gave him license to exhort. In 1822, he commenced his labours with the Rev. John J. Triggs, who had been appointed to the ” Early Mission and adjacent settlements.” After being thus engaged a short time, the Church licensed him to preach, and recommended him to the travelling connection. In 1823, he was admitted on trial in the South Carolina Conference, and appointed junior preacher (the Rev. J. J. Triggs, in charge) on the Chatahoochee Mission, embracing a large field in the Southwestern part of Georgia, and a portion of Alabama. In 1824, he was appointed in charge of the Early Mission, embracing in part the ground occupied the previous year, and quite an extent of territory in Florida. In 1825, he was admitted to full connection in the South Carolina Conference, ordained a Deacon by Bishop Roberts, and appointed in charge of the Appling circuit, in the Southeastern part of Georgia. On the 31st of July of this year he was married.
In 1826, he travelled the Tallahassee Mission, embracing a portion of Southern Georgia, and a large territory of wilderness country in Florida.
In 1827, he was appointed in charge of the Choopee circuit, in Georgia. On the 10th of February, 1828, he was ordained an Elder by Bishop Soule, at Catuden, S. C. His health having now become much impaired by manifold labours and exposures, he was placed on the superannuated list. This relation he sustained two years. At the Conference held at Columbia, S. C, in January, 1830, he asked for and obtained a location.
In this capacity he laboured in the Southern part of Georgia and in Florida, struggling not only with feeble health but with poverty, for fifteen years. In 1845, his health was so far restored that, upon the organization of the Florida Conference, in Tallahassee, he was re-admitted into the travelling connection, and appointed in charge of the Bainbridge circuit. In 1846, he travelled the Blakeley circuit; in 1847, the Troupville circuit; in 1848, the Warrior Mission. In 1849, he was returned to the Bainbridge circuit. In 1850, he was in charge of the Irwin circuit. In 1851, he travelled the Holmesville Mission. In 1852, he was appointed in charge of the Wakulla circuit. In 1853, he was returned to the Troupville circuit. In 1854, he was appointed to the Thomasville circuit, where he closed his labours and his life.
On the 17th of June, 1854, he attended an appointment at Spring Hill, and, while taking his horse from his buggy in the church-yard, was suddenly stricken down with paralysis. It was hoped, for some time, that he might recover; and, on the 24th, he preached a short sermon to his congregation, from Rev. xv, 2, 3. The effort completely prostrated him, so that it now became manifest to all that his course was nearly run. He died the next evening, ” strong in faith, giving glory to God.” He was in the sixty-fifth year of his age, and had spent thirty-four years in the vocation of a Christian minister. He left a widow and two daughters.
FROM THE REV. PEYTON P. SMITH OF THE FLORIDA CONFERENCE.
Albany, Ga., January 24, 1860.
Rev. and Dear Sir: My personal acquaintance with the Rev. John Slade commenced in Tallahassee, Fla., in the year 1839. From that time until his death, I was in the most intimate relations with him, both as a man and a minister. As a preacher in charge, he frequently served on circuits in districts over which I presided. In his travels, he often lodged under my roof, and knelt with me and mine around the family altar. I knew him long—I knew him well; and I knew him only to love him as a friend and faithful brother in the Lord.
In personal appearance John Slade was a noble specimen of a man. He was full six feet, two inches in height, of a large muscular frame, well-proportioned, strong and athletic, and weighing, in his prime, at least two hundred pounds. When I first saw him, he was considerably advanced in life, and by no means in robust health; the consequence of which was that his face presented a somewhat bony appearance, though his countenance was still ruddy, and his form dignified and commanding. He had a large, well-developed head, with a voice for both public speaking and singing, not inferior, on the whole, to that of any man whom I have ever known. In his general aspect and bearing, he always reminded me of the likenesses of General Jackson—he looked as though he was every way competent to be placed at the head of an army.
Mr. Slade possessed an intellect of a high order; and if he had enjoyed the advantages of a thorough intellectual training, he might have reached an eminence which was gained by few of his contemporaries. He possessed great courage, both physical and moral, and no privations and hardships were so great, and no dangers so appalling, but that he resolutely, cheerfully encountered them, whenever he met them in what he believed to be the path of duty.
As a Preacher, Mr. Slade adhered most closely to what he believed to be the teachings of the Bible. His views were strictly in accordance with those which form the accredited system of the Methodist Church; and he knew how to sustain them by forcible and appropriate argument. I cannot say that he devoted as much time to theological reading as some of his brethren; and yet his preaching betrayed no lack of familiarity with theological subjects. He wielded the sword of the Spirit with great energy, and sometimes with prodigious effect. I remember hearing him preach once at a Camp-meeting in Hamilton County, Fla., on the ” Divinity of Christ, and the triumphs of his Gospel;” and there was a sublimity, both in what he said and in his manner of saying it, worthy of the most distinguished of our pulpit orators. Not unfrequently his sermons carried with them revival fire, and would strike conviction to many a previously careless heart.
In 1840, while a local preacher, he held a meeting, in company with another preacher, which continued for ten days. The greater part of the preaching devolved upon him; and his sermons, though exceedingly plain, were characterized by great power, and breathed a truly apostolic spirit. Not only did many of the common people who listened to them receive the Gospel gladly, but not a small number of the rich, the proud, the fashionable, were deeply impressed under them, and bowed in penitence at the foot of the Cross. After the meeting closed, he baptized twenty-seven by affusion, and seventeen by immersion. But the very next day he was overtaken by a severe bodily affliction, by means of which he was taken off from his labours for a long time.
Soon after his recovery, an incident occurred, which may be referred to as illustrating his great zeal in the cause of his Master. He met a congregation, according to appointment, but they had failed to get their house covered. Not at all disconcerted by the circumstance, he stood, Bible in hand, beneath the burning rays of a summer’s sun, and preached Christ crucified to a handful of sinners, with three or four Christians, with as much fervour as if he had been addressing a large congregation. On this spot there now stands a large church edifice, with a proportionally large membership. Some who heard him on that occasion, still live, to testify to the unction with which he spoke, and to cherish his faithful labours in their grateful remembrances.
Allow me to add the testimony of one who was present at the organization of the Florida Conference Missionary Society, at which Mr. Slade, when far advanced in life, was also present:—
” To crown the interest of this novel and exciting scene, just at this moment, a hoary-headed man, of plain and unpretending exterior, was seen wending his way along the aisle of the Church, towards the altar. He was leaning, like Jacob, upon his staff—still there was something of elasticity about his step; the fire of his eye was yet undimmed, and, as he looked around him, a smile of holy triumph played across his manly features. Who was that timehonoured one? It was the Rev. Mr. Slade,—the first man who planted the standard of the Cross in Florida, when this fair land was a voiceless solitude. He it was, who, fired by the same zeal which still throws its unquenched halo around his declining years, left the abodes of civilization to bear the glad tidings of the Gospel to the few straggling settlers who had penetrated the haunts of the red man in these Southern wilds; a pioneer, bold, fearless, and strong in the Lord, who stood up in the wigwam, in the low-roofed cottage, or under the sheltering branches of some primeval oak, and mingled the voice of praise and thanksgiving with the hoarse murmurings of the wilderness, the roaring of the distant waterfall, and the desert howlings of the savage Indian. What must have been the feelings of that toil-worn veteran of the Cross, as he drew a contrast between those fading reminiscences of the past and the living realities of the present! What a tide of associations must have rolled across his mind, as he remembered the little cloud of witnesses, not larger than a man’s hand, that used to hover about his pathway in the days of his first sojourn in Florida, and beheld it now, with its magnificent folds extended along the face of the whole heavens, casting forth its alternate showers and shade upon the sunburnt soil, and causing the joyless desert to bloom and ‘ blossom as the rose!’ “
I will only add that Mr. Slade was distinguished for his humility, his selfdenial, his devotedness to Christ, his fidelity to all his Christian obligations. He cared not for the wealth or honour of the world, but was willing to ” count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus his Lord.” His great desire was to do good; and to this he devoted all his powers of both body and mind. Salvation was his theme on the road, around the fireside, wherever he could gain the ear of a human being. He lived preeminently to glorify his Master, and the light of his example still lingers on earth, though he has gone to his reward.
I am very truly yours,
P. P. SMITH.
October 31, 2012 at 12:11 am (Faith and Begorrah)
Tags: Elethia Fain, Emory College, Hahira GA, James Carr Walker, James Edward Fain, Jefferson Payne Walker, Jewell Fain, John Stanford, Kansas City MO, Kansas City National Training Shool for Deaconesses & Missionaries, Laura Fain, Mary Ann Fain, Mary Fain, Mary McCord, New York TX, Ona Fain, Oxford GA, R. P. Fain, Ray's Mill GA, Remmie Carolyn Howell, Reverend Ed Fain, Robert L. Fain, Robert Payne Fain, William Howell Fain
In the summer of 1911 The Valdosta Times reported that Reverend Robert Payne Fain was seeking souls in Ray’s Mill, now Ray City, GA. Along with Reverend Fain was Miss McCord, who had just come from the Kansas City National Training School for Deaconesses and Missionaries.
The Valdosta Times
June 10, 1911
Around Ray’s Mill
Rev. R. P. Fain is holding a tent meeting here [Ray City] now. He began Saturday, holding his first service Saturday Evening. Miss McCord, who is just from the Kansas City training school, lectured Sunday afternoon. They had three services today, but only two in the week, at four o’clock in the afternoon and 7:30 in the evening.
Born Jefferson Payne Walker (1860-1921) in Texas, it is said he changed his name to Robert Payne Fain about 1883 after being falsely accused of theft. His father was James Carr Walker, a Methodist minister who was one of the original settlers of the community of New York, TX. His mother was Mary Ann Fain.
Robert Payne Fain left Texas to attend Emory College in Oxford, GA., and became a Methodist Minister in the South Georgia Conference. On October 27, 1889 he married Remmie Carolyn Howell in Lowndes County, Georgia. The Fains made their home in the 1300 Georgia Militia District, in present Lanier County.
Tifton Gazette, September 9, 1908
Children of Robert Payne Fain and Remmie Carolyn Howell:
- Laura Fain 1892 –
- Robert L Fain 1894 –
- James Edward FAIN 1896 – 1960
- William Howell Fain 1898 –
- Mary Fane 1900 –
- Ona Fain 1902 –
- Elethia Fain 1906 –
- Jewell Fain 1909 –
Robert Payne Fain, aka Jefferson Fain Walker, died January 6, 1921 while attending a meeting at Hahira, Georgia.
Death of R. P. Fain
Strange death of Reverend R. P. Fain. This account appeared in the El Paso Herald, El Paso Texas
El Paso Herald
Minister Left For Dead Resucitated By Another Pastor
Valdosta, Ga., Jan. 7. – Stricken with acute indigestion, the Rev. R. P. Fain was given up for dead while attending a ministers’ meeting at Hahira, Ga., and laid out in the church while his son went to inform the family. Meantime, Rev. John Stanford arrived and, pressing on the “body” with his knees, resuscited the minister.
Death of Reverend R. P. Fain reported in the Thomasville Times-Enterprise.
DEAD, THEN ALIVE THEN DEAD AGAIN CASE OF MINISTER
Peculiar Experience in Valdosta When Minister Died, Was Revived and Apparently Well and Then Died a Short Time Later.
Valdosta, Ga., Jan. 7. – Rev. R. P. Fain, of Hahira, a well known minister of South Georgia, was the victim of suspended animation in a church there during a meeting of ministers Wednesday, and died last night after going to the station to bid departing preachers farewell. He was stricken on the street and died before he could be removed to his home.
Second death was fatal to Reverend R. P. Fain, Americus Times-Recorder, Jan 13, 1921
SECOND ‘DEATH’ IS FATAL TO PASTOR
Hahira Minister Succumbs After Being Revived From Spell
Valdosta, Jan. 7. – Rev. R. P. Fain, of Hahira, well known minister of South Georgia, who was a victim of suspended animation in church there during a meeting of ministers Wednesday, died last night after going to the station to bid the departing preachers farewell. He was stricken on the street and died before he could be removed to his home.
Mr. Fain was the pastor of the Methodist church at Hahira, and had been very actively engaged in helping to entertain the visiting ministers, comprising all of the preachers of the Valdosta district.
About 11 o’clock Wednesday while the ministerial conference was in session, he was stricken. Some of the ministers present saw him tottering and about to fall and rushed to his rescue. They held him up until he was, apparently, dead, then laid him out. In a few minutes his body was cold, his face black, and rigor mortis had apparently set in. His son, Rev Ed Fain, as well as other ministers present, gave him up for dead, and the younger Mr. Fain went to the house to inform his mother of his father’s death.
After fifteen or twenty minutes Rev. John Stanford, of Adel, decided that an effort should be made to revive him; so he jumped on the prostrate form with his knees and began to work his arms violently, to see if his respiratory organs would not begin to function. After a few minutes the stricken preacher gave one breath and later on he revived so that he could be carried to his home.
Later on in the day he was able to disrobe himself and go to bed. Yesterday morning he was able to return to the church and resume his work among the preachers. It seems that he had a very violent attack of acute indigestion.
February 26, 2012 at 3:48 am (Faith and Begorrah, Johnson Family, Skinner Family)
Tags: A. M. Ray, Aaron Anderson Knight, Ada Gaskins, Annie Leola Crews, B. H. Sirmans, C. B. Herring, C. C. Smith, C. H. Vickers, Carrie Peters, Cassie Lee Hall, Chloe Gardner, Daniel Wiley Townsend, David Jackson Skinner, Delia Bennett, Della Spells, E. B. Clements, E. Lindsey, E. R. Blanton, Eliza Knight, Empire Church, Eva Moore, Fannie Gaskins, Gilford Stalvey, H. W. Parrish, Henry Thomas Cersey, Henry William Parrish, Isham Albert Wetherington, James Wilson Conner, Jimmie Taylor, John Burkholtz, Joseph W. Spells, K.S. Bennett, Kiziah Corbitt, Kizzie Woodard, L. L. Blanton, Lacy Lester Shaw, Laura Chitty, Lila Allen, Lillie Spells, Lizzie Smith, Lula Fender, Lula Kendrick, Marcus Peavy, Mary Allen, Mary Cersey, Mary Sirmans, Mary Skinner, Minnie Herrin, Nettie Skinner, New Ramah Church, Ora Blanton, Orie Blanton, Otis Willie Mikell, Payton Shelton Skinner, Payton Skinner, Pearlie Peavy, Pleasant Church, Pleasant Hill Church, qw, Ray's Mill GA, Robert Burkholtz, Roen, S. G. Gaskins, Salem Church, Ty Ty Church, Unity Primitive Baptist Church, W. F. Rayaln, Willie Green
New Ramah Primitive Baptist Church (1913 – 2010)
New Ramah Primitive Baptist Church, Ray City, Berrien County, GA was founded in 1913. The church building was dismantled in 2010.
New Ramah Church was located on the southwest side of Ray City, between Park Street and Cat Creek. The primitive baptist church was organized August 30, 1913, and built by four Knight brothers who were the descendants of William A. Knight. Aaron Anderson Knight was called as the first pastor and served until his death in 1925.
Upon the constitution of New Ramah Church, the minutes of the church recorded this initial entry:
State of Georgia, Berrien, Co.
August 30, 1913
By the Goodness of God, now when names are after written, having been Baptized upon a Profession of faith by the Lord Jesus Christ having here to fore been members of different Churches did consent on the propriety of becoming a Constituted body near Rays Mill, Ga.
Believing it to be expedient, finding a fellowship with each other, jointly chosen to set apart this day for Constitution.
Petitioning Salem, Empire, Unity & Pleasant Churches for Ministerial aid as a presbatry (Presbytery) which has granted Eld. I. A. Wetherington from Unity Church, Eld. H. W. Parrish from Salem Church, Eld. A. A. Knight from Pleasant Church, Eld. E. R. Blanton from Pleasant Hill Church and Eld. E. Lindsey from Ty Ty Church were clothed with church authority and gave theyr attenuance and letter of dismission being presented and no deficiency appearing, being sound in the facts and principals of the Gospel, that is to say believing that the scriptures of the Old and the New Testament are the Word of God and contains everything necessary for the faith and practice, Particular the existence of one true God, the fall of Man and his inability to recover himself, God’s savoring [sovereign] choices, of his people in Christ, theyr Covenant head from before the foundation of the world effectual calling purification by the imputed righteousness of Christ alone, The final perseverance of the saints in grace, and eternal salvation in Glory, the duty of baptism by immersion, and the Lords Supper. Thus pronouncing to be upon above principals.
And having this day being the 30th day of August, 1913, been pronounced a Church of Christ in order
having united upon equal terms and here after be called and known by the name of New Ramah Church, and for this end deliberately solemly give our selves to the Lord, and to each other by the will of God, Independent of any religious body or congregation what ever, covenanting and promising each other to live to gether as becomes brethering in Gospel hands for the maintaining of Christian fellowship and gospel discipline agreeable to the holy scripture and as true yoke fellows agreed to stand or fall together in order, for which we do agree to receive, and adopt the following plan of or form of Decorum and Rule of practice.
New Ramah Church
1st – – – – —— —— or Conference shall be —– —– —- —– every member must —- —- —– —— —– —–
2nd Church meetings shall begin and end with Divine worship.
3rd Church members failing to attend two Conferences in succession it shall be theyr duty to make known to the Church the reason of theyr absence at the next conference, and the Church judge of the same, but if the failure happen without the Church having knowledge of there being laudable reasons, she shall have him cited and Judge of such failure.
4th The Pastor of the Church shall preside as moderator when present unless some objections be made in which case the Church shall choose another
5th At the opening of every Conference it shall be the duty of the moderator to invite visiting brethering & Sisters of Sister Churches to seats with the Brethern of this Church, and then make known to the Congregation that a door of the Church is open for the reception of members the proceed to take up all Reference as they stand in order and all business that comes before the Church in order
6th The moderator shall in his Power preserve order, Shall explain and put questions. He shall have an assistant (when present) if needed but in his absence a moderator protem shall be appointed.
7th The Moderator shall have the same right of speech as another member but shall not vote unless the body be equally divided.
8th The Church shall have a Clerk who shall keep a fair record of theyr proceedings and sign theyr order before the Conference rises. Minutes taken by the Clerk shall be read and amended before the conference rises if necessary.
9th In debate, only one person shall speak at the same time, who shall rise from his seat and address the Moderator in an orderly manner.
10th The person speaking shall strictly attend to the subject in debate, shall not reflect on the person that spoke before him by making remarks on his slips, or imperfections, but convey his own ideas.
11th The person speaking shall not be interrupted unless he breaks through these rules. Then the moderator shall call to order if dissatisfied he shall —- the voice of the conference.
12th No person shall speak more than twice to the same proposition till every one choosing to speak has spoken.
The Church minutes of New Ramah Primitive Baptist Church provide the list of male and female members below. Notations next to the names were updated by the Clerk with the status by which the member joined and departed the congregation. Many notations were too faint to be legible for transcription.
February 24, 2012 at 12:55 am (Faith and Begorrah, Knight Family, Parrish Family, Uncategorized)
Tags: 50th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Alderman B. Parrish, Amanda Celestia Parrish, Ansel Parrish, Cat Creek Primitive Baptist Church, E. J. Williams, Elizabeth L. Parrish, Ezekiel Crofford Parrish, Ezekiel J. Williams, Friendship Church, Henry Parrish, J. B. Smith, J. E. W. Smith, James W. Parrish, Jesse A. Parrish, John A. Parrish, Josiah Allen Jones Parrish, Lowndes County Georgia, Mary Eleanor Parrish, Mattie Martha Parrish, Molcy Knight, Moorna Parrish, Nancy E. Parrish, Nancy Parrish, Naomi Parrish, Pleasant Church, primitive baptist, Rachel E. Parrish, Salem Church, Sarah Laura Parrish, Union Church, William A. Knight, William Cone Knight, William Henry Parrish, Wiregrass Georgia
Ansel Parrish (1824 -1891)
Elder Ansel Parrish, of Berrien County, GA was one of the ablest and best known Primitive Baptist preachers of his time. Ansel Parrish joined Pleasant Church at the age of 19, and thereafter dedicated his life to the service of the Primitive Baptist faith. During the Civil War he ministered to the confederate soldiers in 50th Georgia Regiment at their encampment near Savannah, GA. He became a leader among the Primitive Baptists, and preached at many of the churches in the area. From the death of Elder William A. Knight in 1860 until 1865, the close of the Civil War, Ansel Parrish served as pastor of Union Church, the mother church of all the Primitive Baptist churches in this section.
Recognized throughout the Wiregrass, “he was considered a great power in the church as well as out of the church”.
The Thomasville Times
August 16, 1884
The yearly meeting of the Primitive Baptists at Barber’s church, three miles east of here, came off last week. The attendance was large, Elder Ancil Parrish, one of the old landmarks, was present. Uncle Ancil bids fair to weather the storms of several winters yet. The creed of these people may be at fault, or not, I don’t pretend to say; but the predominant idea of their lives seems to be embodied in the maxim: “Be honest, industrious and attend to your own business, and they endeavor to carry out this proposition with might and main.
Ansel Parrish married Molcy Knight on December 15, 1842.
Following the death of Ansel Parrish on January 16, 1891, Eulogies appeared in The Valdosta Times:
The Valdosta Times
Saturday, January 24, 1891
He Will Be Missed.
Many of our readers knew a man, now gone from view, whose plain and simple life, unadorned with the polish of modern culture, illustrated in a striking degree many of the higher and nobler attributes of manhood; whose life-work stamped him a man of power. Although denied in his youth the benefits of the ordinary high schools of the country, and necessarily therefore a stranger to theological seminaries, yet he had the gift of oratory, and the force of strong convictions. He expounded the Scriptures as he understood them, and labored to make men better. He was not skilled in the arts of the modern doctors of divinity, nor was he a juggler with words. He was a plain blunt man. To him there shone a light through the clouds of the letter of the word which fired his heart and loosened his tongue. He went out among his people and taught them justice and the ways of peace. He was a law-giver of the old-time type. When brothers quarreled he called them together, heard the testimony, settled the dispute, and sent them away reconciled. He always kept them out of the Courthouse when he could, but if he failed he followed them to the bar of the court, and there exercised a wonderful influence in the settlement of the case. The people believed his heart was pure and his judgment was sound, and seldom a jury was found which would not accept his convictions and make them their own verdict, in spite of the pleadings of the lawyers. It was his custom on such occasions to take a seat within the bar of the court room, and when the lawyers on his side opposed to his convictions would rise to address the jury he would sit dumb and motionless. It is said the lawyers, knowing his power, would often address much of their speech to him, hoping to draw some token of assent, but he could not be coaxed or driven from his position. But when the other side – the right side – was being presented to the jurors, his face would show his sympathy; and repeatedly, and unconsciously, as it were, when strong points were being driven home by the logic of the speaker, or when important quotations bearing on the case would be drawn from the evidence, he would nod assent, and give audible tokens of approval. He was always in touch with the juries, and the verdicts always came right.
It has been often said by lawyers practicing in that court that he was more greatly to be feared, if he was against their client, than the logic and eloquence of the most astute practitioner in the circuit.
This good old man – simple and home-spun in his ways – was a power in the region about him. If he drove to the county town, or to a railway station, a crowd would gather round his buggy before he could get out, and two or three would begin unhitching his horse.
He asked no money for his preaching, but he always had plenty – the product of a well-tilled farm; and no widow, or other deserving poor person in the neighborhood, went unprovided for if he knew of their want. It is said that he studiously avoided giving publicity to his charities, and that the beneficiaries were often ignorant as to the identity of their benefactor.
The fame of this man went beyond the limits of his neighborhood and county. Wherever those of his faith and order assembled in Wiregrass Georgia or Florida he was known, and his name was reverently mentioned. If he was present he was a leader; if absent, his absence was felt.
Such a man was Elder Ansel Parrish, the old Primitive Baptist preacher of Berrien County, as seen by one who was neither his partisan nor his parishioner.
When news of his fatal illness spread over the country hundreds of his devoted friends and followers journeyed to the bedside of the dying preacher to get a last look into the depths of those great grey eyes before the light went out and the old-time fire burnt down in their sockets. And when they laid his body away in the old family burying ground, a great concourse of people gathered to mingle their tears with the sod in the new made mound.
A week later, The Valdosta Times followed up with a tribute to Elder Parrish.
The Valdosta Times
Saturday, January 31, 1891
A Brief Biographical Sketch Of One Who Will Be Missed. “Oh for the touch of a vanished hand, and the sound of a voice that is still.” Elder Ansel Parrish was born in Bulloch County, Ga., July 7th, 1824, and died at his home seven miles southwest of Nashville in Berrien County January 16th, 1891.
Elder Ansel was the fourth son of Henry and Nancy Parrish, who moved from Bulloch to Lowndes, now Berrien County, in 1825, and the future preacher learned to take his first toddling steps at a camp fire on the road while his parents were moving here.
He grew up with the meager opportunities common to our country and his literary attainments were therefore meager. Of a calm temper he was early separated from the wild life of the country and joined the Primitive Baptist Church in 1843, being in his nineteenth year, and was ordained an Elder March 18th, 1854. He was married to Miss Mollsey Knight, whose father was William Knight and her mother a daughter of Jesse Carter, thus uniting the two largest family connections in Lowndes County. To write of him as a neighbor and friend, a husband and father would be out of place here. Those who knew him best loved him most.
It is as a minister of the Gospel of Jesus I would fain write most, and then, he was so widely known that the task will alas fall short of his merit. The writer heard him preach first and most frequently at Salem (Adel) Church of which he was one of the Pastors for a long number of years, assisted by his uncle, brother and co-worker the late lamented Elder Ezekiel J. Williams. As a preacher he was earnest in the faith as he interpreted the word of God, yet not harsh, ever bearing in mind the faith of others. He devoted his early and mature manhood to his Master’s service and when the infirmities of age began to creep on him he seemed to not regard them as an excuse to satisfy self ease, but labored on, and when he could not stand in the sacred desk to deliver his message he preached seated. For all this work and work in physical pain, he never, to my knowledge, asked a dollar as a reward.
A good substantial farmer, he was not only self sustaining but ever ready to open his hand to the needy when his already open heart heard the cry of distress. Seventeen children, 14 of whom are living, 7 sons and 7 daughters were born to him. He leaves 80 living grandchildren, and 24 dead, preceded him of his 8 brothers and 2 sisters, only the venerable Josiah Parrish of Ava, and Absalom of Arkansas survive him.
Elder Parrish was at the time of his death Pastor of the following Churches: Pleasant and Cat Creek, literally falling in the line of duty. May his fidelity to his Master’s cause be taken as an example by those whom he has so long and faithfully warned. In him his family has lost all that goes to make a husband and father, and his Church its wisest counselor.
The archives of the US GenWeb project provide the following biography:
Biography of Elder Ansel Parrish
Elder ANSEL PARRISH was one of the ablest and best known Primitive Baptist mininsters in his day for over 35 years prior to his death. He was considered a great power in the church as well as out of the church. He was born in Bullock County, July 7, 1824, a son of Henry and Nancy Parrish.
He was married Dec. 15, 1842, in Lowndes (now Berrien) County, to Molcy Knight, born Nov. 7, 1826, daughter of William Cone Knight.
Elder Parrish was first converted and united with Pleasant Church in Lowndes County, Aug. 19, 1843, and was baptized. Mrs. Parrish followed him into the church and was baptized November, 1847. He was ordained a deacon in his church, Feb. 2, 1848, and served in this office until he was licensed to preach, Jan. 17, 1852. Two years later, March 19, 1854, he was ordained to the full Gospel Ministry by a presbytery composed of Elders Wm. A. Knight, J. B. Smith and J.E.W. Smith. From then until his death, Jan. 16, 1891, his was a very busy and fruitful ministry among the Primitive Baptist Churches in Berrien and adjoining counties. His first cousin, Elder E. J. Williams, was Pastor of Pleasant Church when he (Elder Parrish) was ordained and continued as such until 1881 when he declined re-election; thereupon Elder Parrish was called. He continued as Pastor of his home hurch until his death. At the time (1881), he was already serving Cat Creek Church in Lowndes County, and in April, 1881, he was called as Pastor by Friendship Church near Hahira, also Salem Church in Adel. These four Churches he continued to serve as pastor until his death 13 years later. He also served as Moderator of the Union Association several years. Elder Parrish owned a large tract of land in Berrien County and gave each of his sons a farm when they married. Mrs. Parrish died June 25, 1897. She and her husband were buried in the Lois Cemetery near Pleasant Church.
Grave of Ansel Parrish (1824 – 1891), Pleasant Cemetery, Berrien County, GA. Image source: FindAGrave.com
Children of Molcy Knight and Ansel Parrish
- Rachel E Parrish 1844 –
- Elizabeth L Parrish 1845 – 1928, married Marion Register
- James W Parrish 1847 – 1916
- Nancy E Parrish 1848 – 1924
- Mary Eleanor Parrish 1849 – 1909, married John Lee
- Henry William Parrish 1851 – 1928
- John A Parrish 1853 – 1914
- Sarah Laura Parrish 1854 – 1933
- Ezekiel Crofford Parrish 1856 – 1924
- Martha M. “Mattie” Parrish 1860 – 1942, married Aaron A. Knight
- Josiah Allen Jones Parrish 1861 – 1929
- Jesse A Parrish 1864 – 1938
- Amanda Celestia Parrish 1866 – 1900
- Naomi Parrish 1867 – 1886
- Moorna Parrish 1868 –
- Child Parrish 1869 –
- Alderman B Parrish 1871 – 1932
« Older entries