June 1, 2013 at 12:56 am (Baskin Family, Ray City Georgia, Uncategorized)
Tags: Armstrong B. Baskin, Bobby L. Pierce, Curtis Baskin, Georgia Teachers College, Helen Baskin, Howard Ray, John W. Baskin, Lakeland GA, Louie Baskin, Mary Frances Baskin, Michael J. Pierce, Minnie Lee Hancock, Moody Air Force Base, Ray City GA, Stokesville Baptist Church, Unity United Methodist Church Cemetery, W.Candler Pierce, Wilmont Pierce
Helen Baskin, born February 2, 1920, was a daughter of Minnie Lee Hancock Baskin and Armstrong B. “Bee” Baskin. In 1941, Helen Baskin was a sophomore at Georgia Teachers College (now Georgia Southern University). In 1943 she married Wilmont C. Pierce. After WWII, the couple made their home at Ray City, where Wilmont engaged in farming with Helen’s father. In 1968, the Pierces moved from Ray City to Valdosta, GA.
Obituary of Helen Baskin Pierce (1920-2004)
AXSON — Helen Baskin Pierce, 84, of Axson, passed away Tuesday, June 1, 2004, at South Georgia Medical Center, Valdosta, following a long illness. Mrs. Pierce was born on Feb. 2, 1920, growing up in Lanier County, the daughter of the late Armstrong B. Baskin and Minne Lee Hancock Baskin. She was preceded in death by her brothers and sister, John W. Baskin, Lakeland, Ga., Curtis L. Baskin, Groves, Texas, Louie Baskin, Alma, Ga., and Mary Frances Blalock, Atlanta.
She retired in June 1986, after serving 27 years as a civil service employee in Atlanta at Warner Robins Air Force Base and Moody Air Force Base. She served in various capacities at First Baptist Church, Ray City, Ga., her home church, before moving to Valdosta in 1968, where she was a member of First Baptist Church there. Currently, she resided in Coffee County and was a member of Stokesville Baptist Church.
Mrs. Pierce is survived by her husband of 61 years, Wilmont Candler Pierce, Axson; her sons, Michael J. Pierce, Olathe, Kan., W. Candler Pierce (Mary Ann), Richmond, R.I., Bobby L. Pierce (Kay), Axson; her grandchildren, Wade C. Pierce, Orlando, Fla., Keith H. Pierce, Tampa, Fla., M. Andrew Pierce, Bayminette, Ala., Jessica, Andrea and Justin Pierce Richmond, R.I., Lynn Eslinger (Jason), Cleveland, Tenn., Kim Hunter (Tim), Valdosta, and Krista L. Pierce, Valdosta, as well as three great-grandchildren. Her extended family included J.C. and Evelyn Pierce, Crawfordville, Ga., Howard and Dot Ray, Ray City, Jessie Hudson, Valdosta, McDonald and Betty Pierce and Dilmus and Burma Pierce, Lakeland, Vanelle Baskin, Gloria Baskin, Groves, Texas; 17 nieces and nephews.
The family will receive friends at Music Funeral Services, Lakeland, Ga., from 6-9 p.m. this evening. Mrs. Pierce will lie in state at First Baptist Church, Ray City, from 10-11 a.m. June 4, 2004. Memorial services will begin at 11 a.m. with the Rev. Lee Graham and the Rev. Bob L. Pierce officiating. Burial will follow in Unity United Methodist Church Cemetery near Lakeland, Ga. Sympathy may be expressed online at http://www.musicfuneralservices.com — Music Funeral Services of Lakeland
February 6, 2013 at 11:25 pm (Baskin Family, Clements Family, Fender Family, Hardie Family, Knight Family, Langford Family, Luckie Family, Swindle Family, Terry Family, Uncategorized, Webb Family)
Tags: A.L. Bridges, Anna Eliza Fender, Austin Lawrence Bridges, Beaver Dam Missionary Society, Charles Oscar Terry, David C. Clements, Dr. H.W. Clements, Eugenia Clements, Fannie Ellen Hagan, Fannie Lola Clements, Gordon Vancie Hardie, Henry Warren Clements, James B. Baskin, James S. Swindle, Jesse Thomas Webb, John L. Webb, Leslie Alma Langford, Lessie E. Carter, Lorenzo D. Carter, Luther Etheldred Langford, Martha J. Baskin, Martha J. Clements, Mary Ann Harrell, Mary Virginia Knight, Mary Webb, Nebbie Luckie, Nix & Miller Co., Ray's Mill GA, Roena Clements, Walter Aultman, Walter Greene Altman, William Etheldred Langford, William F. Luckie, William Henry Edward Terry, William Lawrence Swindle, William Manson Carter, Wilson W. Fender
Rays Mill news items appearing in the Feb 4, 1911 Valdosta Times were about the business and social scene in the new town.
The Valdosta Times
Saturday, February 4, 1911, page 7,
Rays Mill News Items
Mr. A.L. Bridges has moved into his new building here.
Mr. W. L. Swindle, of Nashville, has accepted a position with his brother, Mr. J.S. Swindle, of this place.
Miss Leslie Langford returned to Rays Mill Wednesday night from Vidalia.
Mrs. L. J. Clements is spending a few days in Milltown this week.
Mr. G. V. Hardee, druggist of this place, moved in his new building Wednesday.
Mr. I. Burkhalter made a business trip to Nashville Wednesday.
Mr. Floyd Fender, of Tifton, is visiting Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Fender for a few days.
Mrs. Baskin, Mrs. Terry, Mrs. Dr. Clements, Miss Fannie Clements and Miss Lessie Carter represented Beaver Dam Missionary Society at the missionary rally in Valdosta last Tuesday, January 31, and lunch was served at the Tabernacle. They report a good meeting, also a pleasant time for all who attended.
Mr. A. L. Taylor, of Nashville, has bought Mr. J.T. Webb’s store.
Mr. W. M. Carter, of Rays Mill, visited Tifton last Saturday returning Sunday night.
Mr. W. H. Terry made a business trip to Valdosta Wednesday.
Mr. George Norton spent a few days in Macon last week returning Monday night.
Ray City News appeared in The Valdosta Times, Feb 4, 1911.
Austin Lawrence Bridges was a merchant from who came to Ray City in 1909 with his bride, Della Pope. He bought a house on Jones Street and opened a dry goods store.
William Lawrence Swindle was a farmer of the Ray City area and former Sheriff of Berrien County. He was a brother of James S. Swindle, and son of James Swindle, Pioneer Settler.
Leslie Alma Langford was the daughter of William E. Langford and Mary Virginia Knight, and sister of Luther Etheldred Langford. In 1918 she married Walter Greene Altman. At the time he was a clerk working for Nix & Miller Company, a sawmill in Ray City, GA, but shortly thereafter he became an ice dealer. Later Walter owned a cafe where Leslie worked as a waitress.
Mrs. L. J. Clements was Eugenia Watkins Clements, wife of Lucius J. Clements. Her parents were Sarah and Thomas H. Watkins, of Whitesburg, Carroll County, GA. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from La Grange College in 1907.
Gordon Vancie Hardie was a druggist and entrepreneur of Ray City.
Isaac Burkhalter, Jr was born 1863 in Clinch County, GA just weeks before his father, Captain Isaac Burkhalter was killed at Gettysburg. Isaac Burkhalter, the son, made his home at Rays Mill some time before 1900 with his wife, Marentha Sirmans, where he engaged in farming until his death.
Wilson W. Fender was the owner of the Fender Hotel in Ray City. His wife Lena Fender was in millinery. His eldest son was telephone lineman Floyd Fender, of Tifton, and his younger son’s were Ike and Lutie. Ike Fender was a telephone operator and Lutie Fender was a soda jerk.
The Ladies of the Beaver Dam Missionary Society
- Mrs. Baskin mentioned in the story could have been one of several Baskin women: Mary Ann Harrell Baskin, second wife of James B. Baskin; her step-daughter, Fannie Ellen Hagan Baskin; or another of the Baskin wives. The Baskin family helped found the Baptist Church at Ray City.
- Mrs. Terry was Nebbie Luckie Terry. She was a daughter of William F. Luckie and wife of W. H. E. Terry, also mentioned in the article.
- Mrs. Dr. Clements was Pauline Nelson Clements, wife of Dr. Henry Warren Clements. Dr. Clements owned the second gasoline powered automobile in Berrien County, a Maxwell Doctor’s Roadster.
- Miss Fannie Lola Clements was a daughter of Martha J. Cements and David C. Clements.
- Miss Lessie E. Carter was a daughter of Lorenzo D. Carter and Anna Eliza Fender.
Jesse Thomas Webb, who sold his store in Rays Mill, was a son of Mary and John L. Webb, of the Connells Mill District. After selling his store in Rays Mill he moved to Tifton, GA and opened a store there.
William Manson Carter was a son of Lorenzo D. Carter and Anna Eliza Fender, and brother of Lessie E. Carter. In 1917 he worked as a druggist for C. O. Terry.
William Henry Edward Terry came to Ray City about 1910 and built the first brick building in the new town.
July 15, 2011 at 12:44 am (Baskin Family, Society and Leisure)
Tags: Armstrong B. Baskin, Helen Baskin, J. Milton Richardson, Louie D. Newton, Mary Frances Baskin, Minnie Lee Hancock, William L. Brady, William Lester Brady Jr
The engagement and wedding of Mary Frances Baskin may have been one of the most widely publicized society events in Ray City history. The story of her engagement announcement in the spring of 1943 was the subject of an earlier post (see Engagement of Mary Frances Baskin) and was closely followed in the Atlanta newspapers. The Baskin-Brady wedding took place at the Druid Hills Baptist Church in Atlanta.
Mary Frances Baskin grew up in Ray City, GA. In the late 1930s she was a school teacher at the Ray City School, and later she taught in the Atlanta school system.
The May 23, 1943 Atlanta Social Pages included the brief announcement of plans for a summer wedding:
May 23, 1943
Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong B. Baskin, of Ray City, announce the engagement of their daughter, Mary Frances, of Atlanta, to William Lester Brady Jr., of this city, the marriage to take place in the late summer at the Druid Hills Baptist church.
Druid Hills Baptist Church, Atlanta, GA, circa 1942.
Apparently plans changed and the wedding was postponed until the fall. The papers reported that prominent Baptist minister Dr. Louie D. Newton would perform the ceremony.
November 19, 1943
Baskin-Brady Wedding Planned
Miss Mary Frances Baskin and William L. Brady Jr. have planned their marriage for Monday at 11 a.m. in the study of Dr. Louie E. Newton, at the Druid Hills Baptist church.
Dr. Newton will officiate in the presence of only members of the two families and a small group of friends. Miss Helen Baskin, of Macon, will be maid of honor and only attendant for her sister, and Rev. J. Milton Richardson, rector of St. Luke’s Episcopal church, will be the best man. The couple will fly to New Orleans for their honeymoon.
Miss Baskin is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong B. Baskin, of Ray City, Ga., and her father will give her in marriage. She resides here, where she is a member of the Atlanta public school system. Mr. Brady is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William L. Brady, and is manager of the Paramount theater. The engagement of the young couple was announced last May.
Dr. Louie D. Newton
Dr. Louie De Votie Newton performed the marriage of Mary Frances Baskin to William L. Brady, Jr. in his study at the Druid Hills Baptist Church on November 23, 1943.
According to Wikipedia, Newton became pastor of Druid Hills Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia in 1929. He wrote a daily newspaper column for the Atlanta Constitution and Savannah Morning News, titled “Good Morning,” and weekly columns for the Christian Index. He was the author of several books, and did a radio show on WGST-Atlanta. In 1943 he was a co-founder of the Georgia Temperance League. In 1946, he was elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention. That summer he was invited by Stalin to visit with leaders of the Union of Evangelical Christians-Baptists in Russia. Upon his return, some accused him of being a communist sympathizer. Newton was president of the Georgia Baptist Convention in 1950 and 1951. Later he was vice president of the Baptist World Alliance. He retired as pastor of the Druid Hills Baptist Church in October 1968. He died of pneumonia in 1986 at the age of 94.
November 23, 1943
Miss Baskin Wed To W. L. Brady Jr. In Pastor’s Study
Miss Mary Frances Baskin and William L. Brady Jr., were married yesterday morning in the study of Dr. Louie D. Newton, pastor of the Druid Hills Baptist church. Dr. Newton officiated at 11 a.m. in the presence of only members of the two families and out-of-town guests.
Miss Helen Baskin, of Macon, was her sister’s maid of honor and only attendant. She was becomingly gowned in a model of navy blue and her flowers were gardenias. Rev. Milton Richardson, rector of St. Luke’s Episcopal church, was best man for Mr. Brady.
The bride, who is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong B. Baskin, of Ray City, Ga., was given in marriage by her father. A lovely brunette, she was handsomely gowned in her traveling suit of aquamarine wool, worn with harmonizing accessories. She carried a bouquet of orchids.
Mrs. Baskin, the brides mother, wore black crepe with black accessories, and her flowers were gardenias. Mrs. Brady, the groom’s mother, was also in black and wore gardenias.
After the ceremony, the bridal couple left by plane for New Orleans where they will spend their honeymoon. Upon their return they will reside at 878 Drewry street.
Out-of-town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Baskin and Mrs. J.B. Baskin, of Ray City; Miss Mary Davis, Buchanan; Mrs. Arlie D. Tucker, Auburn, Ala.; Mr. and Mrs. Harris Dill, Ocilla; Miss Helen Baskin, Macon; Mrs. Allie Hayes Richardson, Rome; Mrs. Etta Ramsay, Toccoa; Mrs. Ida H. Moseley, Albany.
December 1, 1943
Mr. and Mrs. William L. Brady have returned from New Orleans, La., where they spent their honeymoon. Mrs. Brady is the former Miss Mary Frances Baskin and her marriage to Mr. Brady was an event of November 22.
April 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm (Baskin Family, Faith and Begorrah)
Tags: Beaver Dam Cemetery, Berrien County GA, Frances Bell, Georgia Ann Baskin, J.D. Evans, James Madison Baskin, Lowndes County GA, Martha J. Baskin, Mary Ann Harrell, Mary Ray, New Bethel Church, Ray City GA, Ray's Mill GA, Sarah E. Baskin, Thomas M. Ray, Troupville Baptist Church, W.A. Bridges
Baskin monument, Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA.
Frances Bell and James Madison Baskin were among the pioneer families that settled in the Ray City, GA area.
Frances was a member of the Troupville Baptist Church (now the First Baptist Church of Valdosta). After the New Bethel Church, Lowndes County, was organized 1871, Frances and James were united with it.
Three of their daughters, Georgia Ann Baskin, Martha J. Baskin, and Sarah E. Baskin were among founding members of Beaverdam Church who met in the home of Mary and Thomas M. Ray, Sr. with Reverend J. D. Evans on September 20, 1874 to organize the church. While the minutes of that September meeting do not show their father, James Madison Baskin, present at the organizational meeting, he is listed on the plaque honoring charter members along with W.A. Bridges. James and Frances remained members of the Ray City church for life.
In October 1874 J.M. Baskin was elected first deacon of the church , becoming ordained on March 21, 1875. He served on the committee that selected and procured the site for the construction of the church building. According to notes written by Mary A. Ray, James M. Baskin and W.A. Bridges were the builders of the church building. Construction began in January of 1875. Baskin and Bridges hand hewed out all the timber to frame the church. Windows and sawn lumber were purchased but had to be dressed by hand. The pulpit, table and pews were all built on site. J.M. Baskin made the doors himself. He continued to serve as a deacon of the church until 1903 when dismissed by letter.
Frances Bell Baskin died on June 3, 1885 in Rays Mill, Berrien County, Georgia. James Baskin was a widower, 56 years old, the youngest of his 11 children just 9 years old. He decided to re-marry. Just six months later, on Dec 30 1885 he married Mary Ann Harrell. She was a native of Lowndes County, born in Nov. 29, 1859. At 27, she was a prominent citizen experienced in public service, and a former Ordinary (probate judge) of Lowndes county. This union produced six children.
James Madison Baskin lived on his land near Ray City with his second wife until his death on July 7, 1913 . He and both of his wives are buried at Beaver Dam Cemetery in Ray City.
Gravemarker of Frances J. Baskin, Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA. The inscription reads, “Wife of J.M. Baskin” and “with him an organizing member of Beaver Dam Baptist Church.”
Gravemarker of James Madison Baskin, Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA. The inscription reads, “Pioneer settler, organizing member and one of the first deacons of the Beaver Dam Baptist Church.”
Gravemarker of Mary A. Baskin, Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA.
The graves of James Madison Baskin (1829-1913) and his two wives, Frances J. Baskin (1833-1885) and Mary A. Baskin (1859-1917). Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA.
Baskin monument, Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA.
April 24, 2011 at 7:15 am (Baskin Family, Civil War)
Tags: 54th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Berrien County GA, Frances Bell, H. M. Talley, J.H. Evans, James B. Baskin, James Madison Baskin, Mary Ann Harrell, Ray City GA
James M. Baskin, early settler of the Ray City area, fought in the Civil War. He owned many slaves who worked at his farm, cotton gin and other enterprises. At the start of the war he was about 32 years of age, and like other able-bodied southern men he joined the Confederate army. He left behind his wife, Frances Bell Knox Baskin, to care for their young family and to administer the Baskin farm and business interests.
On May 6, 1862 he enlisted at Nashville, GA and was organized along with other recruits into the 54th Georgia Volunteer Infantry at Savannah, Georgia on June 5. James Baskin became a private in Company E, a company of men from Berrien County under the command of Captains J. H. Evans and H. M. Tally. The regiment served for some time in the department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. From January-February, 1863 they were south of Savannah, with Company E stationed at Coffee Bluff. The orders from March 1863 show they were among the troops assigned to the Savannah River Batteries and other defenses. In July of 1863, Company E and other infantry units of the 54th Regiment were moved up to the Charleston area, where they were involved in numerous engagements. On July 16th, they fought in the engagement near Grimball’s Landing, James Island, South Carolina. From mid-July to September 1863 they were involved in the defense of Charleston Harbor at Battery Wagner on Morris Island.
James M. Baskin may have returned home some time around June of 1863 as his wife, Frances, delivered the couple’s first son, James B. Baskin, on February 9, 1864. Or perhaps Frances traveled to Savannah to visit him that summer of 1863. Martha Guthrie and other housewives of Berrien County are known to have made this trip to see their husbands the following year.
The 54th Georgia Regiment was reconstituted on April 22, 1864. They moved to Dalton, GA arriving on May 2, 1864 and went into action in the Atlanta Campaign. They fought almost daily engagements: from May 7-13 demonstrations at Rocky Face Ridge; May 14-15 actions at Lay’s Ferry, Oostenaula River, GA.; May 17 engagement at Adairesville,Ga.; May 19 combat near Cassville,GA.; May 25-26 Battle of New Hope Church.
On May 25-June 5 the 54th Regiment was participating in operations on the line of Pumpkin Vine Creek, Paulding County, just north of the town of Dallas, GA.
On June 10-July 3 Operations about Marietta and the Pine Mountain-Lost Mountain line; June 27 Battle of Kennesaw Mountain; July 5-July 17 Operations on the line of the Chattahoochee River; July 20 Battle of Peachtree Creek.
During the Battle of Atlanta, on July 22, 1864 , James M. Baskin was wounded in the hip – one of 83 casualties the Regiment suffered in that engagement.
“He lay all night on the ground. The next day he heard a rustling in the grass and called out. He was rescued by a Yankee soldier.”
He spent time in hospital in Lagrange, GA until in April 1865 he was furloughed ‘wounded’ and returned to his home to Berrien County. While James was away, Frances ran the Baskin farm and cotton gin. With the end of the war, James Baskin returned to farm life. After the Baskin’s slaves were freed, most made their homes on the farm and lived out their lives there
While working in the gin Frances had contracted a form of tuberculosis. She died on June 3, 1885 in Rays Mill (now known as Ray City), Berrien County, Georgia.
The widower James Baskin, with minor children still at home, decided to re-marry. On December 30, 1885 he married Mary Ann Harrell of Lowndes County. This union produced six children.
In his old age, James M. Baskin applied for and received an annual Indigent Soldier’s pension. His applications stated that he applied on account of “age and poverty.” He was in bad physical condition and suffered from rheumatism. His application stated his wife owned a small farm where they lived with five children, and up until that time he was “trying to farm” and “made a scant living.’
April 23, 2011 at 5:54 am (Baskin Family)
Tags: 54th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Alonzo L. Baskin, Alton Knox, Beaver Dam Baptist Church, Beaver Dam Creek, Bell House, Callie D. Baskin, Coffee Road, Corine Rodriguez, David C. Clements, Emma Baskin, Fannie E. Baskin, Fannie Ellen Hagan, Fannie Ellen Hagin, Frances Bell, George T. Patten, Georgia Ann Baskin, James B. Baskin, James G. Baskin, James Madison Baskin, James W. Lovejoy, John Holmes Baskin, John T. Smith, John W. Hagan, L.H. Dasher, Laura Hall Sweat, Leonard L. Roberts, Levi J. Knight, Lowndes County Georgia, Maggie May Baskin, Mamie Harrell, Martha J. Baskin, Mary Ann Harrell, Mary J. Baskin, Ollie Baskin, Ray City Baptist Church, Ray City GA, Robert L. Patten, Ruby Baskin, Ruth Baskin, Sarah E. Baskin, Sarah Goode, Thomas M. Ray Jr., Ulysses A. Knight, Verdie Baskin, Walter M. Shaw, William A.K. Giddens, William H Baskin
James Madison Baskin, first of the Baskin family to settle in the Ray City area, came to Berrien county about the time it was created in 1856. He was the grandfather of Armstrong B. Baskin, and great grandfather of Mary Frances Baskin. James M. Baskin was born 6 April 1829 in Houston County, GA, one of thirteen children born to Sarah Goode and James G. Baskin. His father was born 1792 in Abbeville District, SC. and came to Georgia as a child.
When grown to adulthood, James M. Baskin left his family home with two slaves given to him by his father. These slaves were experienced in construction, and James went into business as a building contractor.
While on a stay in Atlanta, James M. Baskin resided at the Bell House, a boarding house said to be the first hotel in Atlanta. There, he met the proprietor’s daughter, Frances Bell Knox. She was a widow with a three-year-old son, Alton Knox. (The 1850 Dekalb County census records show that by the age of 17 she was married to Joseph Knox, age 28, and that the couple had a one year old son named Alton.)
About 1852, Frances Bell Knox and James Madison Baskin were married in Houston County. In 1853, Frances gave James a daughter, Fannie E. Baskin. Another daughter, Sarah “Sallie” E., followed in 1856.
James M. Baskin’s father died in 1856. About that time he decided to move his family from their home in Houston County. His adopted son was now seven years old, his daughter three. His wife was probably either pregnant or was caring for their second infant daughter Sarah “Sallie” E., who was born that same year. Who knows his reasons for uprooting his young family? The Indian wars were over – south Georgia was secure. The Coffee Road provided a migration route and there was a steady southward flow of settlers. Perhaps the disposition of his father’s estate incited him to move. Perhaps he foresaw the coming war and wanted his family farther from north Georgia military objectives, or perhaps he saw more opportunities in the new counties being opened in southern Georgia.
It was in 1856 that Berrien County was cut out of Lowndes County; Levi J. Knight and others were setting boundaries and surveying the new county. James M. Baskin brought his family to the area of Beaverdam Creek in the southernmost part of the new county. He settled about a mile outside of present day Ray City, GA on land Lots 470 and 471 in the 10th land district. Tax records from the 1870s show James M. Baskin owned 1080 acres pf land in Berrien county, relatively valuable land appraised at $1.85 per acre.
1869 Berrien County Map detail showing location of land lots #470 and 471.
Over the next five years three more daughters were added to the Baskin family: Georgia Ann (1857), Martha J. (1859), and Mary J. (1861)
The Civil War came along and James M. Baskin joined the Confederate army, enlisting as a private in the 54th Georgia Infantry. He fought throughout the war and was wounded in the Battle of Atlanta.
After the war, James Baskin returned to farm life. Over the next ten years he and Frances had five more children. In all, James M. Baskin and Frances Bell had 11 children. James and Frances Baskin, and some of their children, were active in the formation of Beaver Dam Baptist church, now known as Ray City Baptist Church.
Children of James Madison Baskin and Frances Bell:
- Baskin, Fannie E. (1853 – 1892) m. William A. K. Giddens
- Baskin, Sarah “Sallie” E. (1856 – ) m. Thomas M. Ray, Jr.
- Baskin, Georgia Ann (1857 – 1934) m. Leonard L. Roberts
- Baskin, Martha J. (1859 – 1950) m. David C. Clements, Dec. 22, 1881
- Baskin, Mary J. (1861 – 1902) m. Ulysses A. Knight
- Baskin, James B. (1864 – 1943) m. Fannie Ellen Hagan, dau. of John W. Hagan, Dec. 15, 1887
- Baskin, Callie D. (1866 – 1890) m. John T. Smith
- Baskin, William H. (1869 – ) m. Mamie Harrell, dau. of John W.
- Baskin, Emma (1872 – ) m. George T. Patten
- Baskin, Maggie May (1874 – 1898) m. Robert L. Patten
- Baskin, Ollie (1876 – ) m. L. H. Dasher
Frances Bell Knox Baskin died on June 3, 1885 at Rays Mill (now Ray City), Berrien County, Georgia.
James Baskin was a widower, 56 years old, the youngest of his 11 children just 9 years old. He decided to re-marry. Just six months later, on Dec 30 1885 he wed Mary Ann Harrell. She was a native of Lowndes County, born in Nov. 29, 1859. At 27, she was a prominent citizen experienced in public service, and a former Ordinary (probate judge) of Lowndes county.
Children of James Madison Baskin and Mary Ann Harrell, – m. 30 DEC 1885 in Lowndes County, Georgia
- Baskin, Alonzo L. (1886 – ) b. Nov. 17, 1886, m. Corine Rodriguez
- Baskin, Verdie (1888 – ) b. Dec. 17, 1888, m. James W. Lovejoy
- Baskin, Infant (1891 – 1891)
- Baskin, Ruby (1893 – ) b. May 16, 1893, m. Walter M. Shaw
- Baskin, Ruth (1894 – 1922) b. Dec. 15, 1894, died single, age 22 years
- Baskin, John Holmes (1897 – ) b. Oct. 8, 1897, m. Mrs. Laura Hall Sweat of Waycross
James Madison Baskin lived on his land near Ray City with his second wife until his death on July 7, 1913. Mary Ann Harrell Baskin died April 29, 1917.
He and both of his wives are buried in the Ray City Cemetery.
April 21, 2011 at 12:30 am (Baskin Family, Society and Leisure)
Tags: Armstrong B. Baskin, Berrien County GA, Bessie Tift College, Curtis Baskin, E.L. Hancock, Helen Baskin, J.H. Baskin, Jane Paulk Brown, John Brown, John W. Baskin, Lanier County Georgia, Luther Hayes Brady, Mary Brown, Mary Frances Baskin, Minnie Lee Hancock, Ray City Baptist Church, Ray City GA
Mary Frances Baskin was born about 1918 and raised at Ray City, Berrien County, GA. Her parents were long time residents of Ray City. At the time of her birth her parents had a house in Ray City on Pauline Street, just north of Johnson Street, near the present day location of the Ray City Community Library. The Baskins also maintained a residence out at the old Baskin home place located in present day Lanier County.
Mary Frances’ father, Armstrong B. Baskin, was known as “B” Baskin. He was one of the more affluent members of the Ray City Baptist Church and was very active in the church. Later, he served on the Lanier County Board of Education. Mary Frances’ mother, Minnie Lee Hancock Baskin, was a school teacher in Lanier County for 21 years. In 1958, Minnie Lee received national attention when she lost her job after allowing a white child to ride with African-American children on a segregated school bus (Education: The Crime of Minnie Lee).
Mary Frances Baskin grew up to become a school teacher, herself, and taught at the Ray City School in the late 1930s. Later, she taught in the Atlanta School System. In 1943, the Atlanta newspapers announced her engagement to William Lester Brady, Jr.
May 23, 1943
Miss Mary Frances Baskin To Wed William L. Brady Jr.
RAY CITY, Ga., May 22. – Wide social interest centers in an announcement made today by Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong B. Baskin, of Ray City, of the engagement of their daughter, Miss Mary Frances Baskin, of Atlanta, to William Lester Brady Jr., of Atlanta, the marriage to be a fashionable event taking place at the Druid Hills Baptist church in the late summer, the exact date and wedding plans to be announced later.
The beautiful bride-elect is the sister of Miss Helen Baskin, of Macon, and her brothers are Quartermaster Sergeant John W. Baskin, Parris Island, S.C., Curtis Baskin, and Louis Baskin, both of Ray City.
Miss Baskin’s mother is the former Miss Minnie Lee Hancock, of Nashville, daughter of E.L. Hancock and the late Mrs. Hancock, who was before her marriage Miss Mary Brown, daughter of John Brown and Jane Paulk Brown, John Brown being a casualty of the War Between the States. Her paternal grandparents are the late James Baskin and Mrs. Baskin of Ray City.
Miss Baskin received an A.B. degree from Bessie Tift College in the class of ’37. She was a member of the Sigma Delta Chi sorority. In 1938 she did post graduate work in library science at the University of Georgia. She is a teacher in the Atlanta public schools and is a talented pianist. In Atlanta she resides with her uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Baskin.
Like his bride-to-be, Mr. Brady is a descendant of prominent families. He is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. William Lester Brady, of Atlanta. His mother, before her marriage was Miss Bertha Vileeta Hayes, of Toccoa. His maternal grandparents were the late Mr. and Mrs. William Jasper Hayes, of Toccoa. His paternal grandparents were the late Mr. and Mrs. George Thomas Brady, of Harrisburg, Pa. A brother, Joseph Vickery Brady, is completing training at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Great Neck, N.Y. Another brother, Luther Hayes Brady, was reported missing in action by the Navy last September.
The groom-elect is a graduate of Atlanta Boys’ High school. He attended Emory University where he majored in public affairs. While at Emory he was a manager of the Emory Glee Club, editor of the Emory Wheel, member of D.V.S. senior honor society, a Rhodes Scholarship nominee, and was listed in “Who’s who in American College and Universities.” He is a member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and is director of the Young People’s Training Union of the Druid Hills Baptist church. He is now advertising director of the Rialto theater.
The Baskin-Brady wedding took place in Atlanta.
December 15, 2010 at 1:00 am (Baskin Family, Faith and Begorrah, Uncategorized)
Tags: Armstrong B. Baskin, Ernest L. Baskin Jr, Ernest Leo Baskin, Fannie Ellen Hagin, First Baptist Church of Sylvester, Howard Boyett, J. Hagan Baskin, James B. Baskin, James Groom Baskin, Luttie Chappell, Mary P. Groom, Mercer University, Michael F. Groom, Milltown High School, Ray City GA, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
Ernest Leo Baskin was born Oct 12, 1890 near Rays Mill (nka Ray City), GA. He was the son of Fannie Ellen Hagan and James B. Baskin.
Childhood home of Ernest L. Baskin, circa 1900. The home was located near Ray City, GA in that part of Berrien County that was later cut into Lanier County, on the lot of land that became known as the Howard Boyett farm. Left to right: Armstrong B., J Hagan, Ernest L, Fannie and James B. Baskin. Image courtesy of http://berriencounty.smugmug.com
In the 1934 History of Worth County, GA author L.M. Grubbs gave this sketch of Ernest L. Baskins:
REV. ERNEST L. BASKIN
Among the earnest, successful and popular ministers of Southern Georgia, Rev. Ernest L. Baskin takes high rank, and as Pastor of the First Baptist Church at Sylvester he has exerted a most beneficent influence throughout the community. A native of Ray City, Berrien County, Georgia, he was born and reared on the farm of his parents, James B. and Fannie (Hagan) Baskin, both of whom are living in Ray City, the father being now retired.
After graduating from the Milltown High School in 1908, Ernest L. Baskin entered Mercer University, where he was graduated in 1912 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and then went to the Southern Baptist Seminary where he received the degree of Master of Theology in 1916. Then, after one year of postgraduate work in New Testament research he accepted the pastorate of the First Baptist church, Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina, where he built a fine new church edifice at a cost of about one hundred and thirty thousand dollars. In 1924 he came to Sylvester as pastor of the First Baptist Church. He has stimulated the congregation to greater activity in all of its departments and it is now one of the most active, aggressive, and prosperous religious societies in this section of the county. The church has a membership of four hundred, with a Sunday School of three hundred and seventy-five members. Its auxiliary societies include a fully graded Woman’s Missionary Union and a Baptist Young People’s Union. Rev. Baskin set the pace for his people and, and because of his earnest labor for the upbuilding of the church, his splendid ability and his genial nature, he has won an enviable standing among the representative residents of the community. As a speaker Mr. Baskin is eloquent, forceful, and convincing and he has proven a tremendous power for good in this locality where his ability and devotion are fully appreciated. He is a member of the Georgia Baptist Association, Moderator of the Mallary Association, and is a member of the Kiwanis Club at Sylvester, in which work he is deeply interested.
Rev. Baskin wedded Miss Mary P. Groom, of Kansas City, Missouri, daughter of Michael F. and Luttie (Chappell) Groom.
Mrs. Baskin was educated in the Kearny Public Schools and the Southern Baptist W.M.U. Training School at Louisville, where she met her future husband. After graduating she served as Secretary of the Missouri State Board of Missions for a period of two years. She has been to her husband a help-mate in the truest sense of the term, aiding him very materially in his pastoral work by her quiet charm, commendable tact and gracious personality. They are the parents of two children, Ernest L. Jr., and James Groom.