Henry Warren Clements, M.D. (1877-1952)
Henry W. Clements was a Physician who lived and practiced in Ray City, Georgia during the early days of the town. He was one of the many Medical Men of Ray’s Mill (now Ray City), who served the community over the years.
Henry W. Clements went into medical practice for a short time in Rays Mill, GA after graduating from the Medical College of Georgia in 1900. A clipping from the Tifton Gazette shows he soon moved to Hahira, and in 1901 he moved again to Lenox, GA
In 1908 Dr. Clements was admitted to the Medical Association of Georgia. The Census of 1910 places him in Lenox, GA, but newspaper mentions show he and his wife, Pauline Nelson Clements, were back in Ray City by early 1911. Dr. Clements was a self-employed physician in general practice in Ray City. His bookkeeper was Robert Tombs Harrell and he also employed Floyd Lafayette Blanton in farming. According to the 1920 Census, Dr. Clements owned a home in Ray City on North Street, next door to his father, Levi J. Clements.
Dr. Clements practiced in Hahira, Lenox, and Ray City until the early 1920’s. Transportation for these years was by horse and buggy and his stable full of horses is well known. Prior to World War I, the second gas vehicle in Berrien County was a Maxwell proudly owned by Dr. Clements.
The Maxwell Motor Company produced a model called the Doctor’s Roadster, marketed especially to medical men, as seen in this advertisement from The Medical World magazine.
W.P. Tittle & Co., a Nashville, GA firm from 1911 to around 1925, was the first automobile dealer in Berrien County and handled the Maxwell line of cars. The firm was owned by W.P. Tittle, C.G. Starling, and D.D. Tittle.
With the growing popularity of the automobile, Dr. Clements found that in addition to treating the sick and delivering babies, he was now treating accident victims. In 1923 when his cousin, Homer Clements, broke an arm while hand cranking his car, Dr. Clements may have set the “Ford Fracture.”
Dr. H.W. Clements lived in Ray City, GA and kept his medical practice there until he moved to Adel, GA in 1922. Adel is just 10 miles west of Ray City; Homer could have made the trip in 1923 to get his arm treated.
On the night of January 17, 1929 Dr. Clements was called for an emergency response when Rema Sirmans was ejected from a Ford roadster in a one car accident near Sparks, Ga. No doubt, Dr. Clements treated many other automobile accident victims over the years.
Tragically, his own daughter, Hilda Clements, and son-in-law would be killed in an automobile accident at a bridge near Ray City, on December 21, 1941.
Children of Henry W. Clements and Mary Pauline Nelson (1881 – 1954):
- Henry G. Clements 1903 – 1948
- Harvey J Clements 1905 – 1927
- Jaunita P Clements 1913 –
- Fred Nelson Clements 1918 – 1987
- Hilda Clements 1921 – 1941
- Lakeland Newlyweds Killed in Auto Smashup at Ray City
- Ray City/Adel Boys Wreck Automobile Near Sparks, GA
- Homer Clements and the Ford Fracture
- Levi J. Clements
- WWI Boom for Clements Lumber Company at Ray City, GA
- Ray City Citizens Fought Creation of Lanier County
- Medical Men of Ray’s Mill