Troupville, Lowndes County, GA
From pioneer times to the present day, Ray City, GA , has been under the jurisdiction of three different counties and six different county seats of government. From 1825 to 1856 the community fell within the borders of Lowndes County. During that period, the county seat of government was first at Franklinville, GA, then briefly at Lowndesville, and in 1836 moved to the town of Troupville,GA.
Previous posts about Troupville GA:
- Reverend William A. Knight at old Troupville, GA
- More About Troupville, GA and the Withlacoochee River
- An Antebellum Trial at Troupville
- Bowling at old Troupville, Georgia
- Reverend John Slade of the Troupville Circuit
- Morz Swain was Innkeeper, Blacksmith, Sheriff & Jailor of old Troupville, GA
- Sheriff Swain and Legal Affairs in Old Troupville
- Morgan Goodgame Swain and the Estate of Canneth Swain
- Post Offices of the Old Berrien Pioneers
- Levi J. Knight and Lowndes First Superior Court
In its heydey, Troupville was the center of commerce and social activity for the region. Among the prominent pioneer settlers who frequented the town were the Knight family. Reverend William A. Knight, was the religious leader of many of the Primitive Baptist churches in the area and the father of Levi J. Knight, earliest settler at the site of present day Ray City, Berrien County, GA.
White’s Statistics of the State of Georgia, published 1849, describes Troupville thus:
Troupville is the [Lowndes County, GA] seat of justice, immediately in the fork made by the confluence of the Withlacoochee and Little rivers. It has the usual county buildings, three hotels, two churches, four stores, several mechanics’ shops, two physicians, and four lawyers. It is distant from Milledgeville 180 miles S.; 40 from Thomasville; 75 from Waresborough, and 75 from Irwinville. It is a healthy and pleasant village. Population about 20 families.
Here is a conceptual layout of 0ld Troupville adapted from a sketch of the town made by C. S. Morgan, and superimposed on a modern map of the confluence of the Withlacoochee River and the Little River .
In addition to the structures depicted on this map, the following Troupville property owners are known:
- Lot No. 1 “on the east side of the Courthouse” property of William McAuley prior to 1841
- Lot No. 2 1/2 acre “water lot”, Jesse Townsend, prior to 1846
- Lot No. 3 1/2 acre, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
- Lot No. 4 1/2 acre, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
- Lot No. 5 1/2 acre, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844; 1/4 acre “water lot” property of Jared Johnson, prior to 1846
- Lot No. 6 1/2 acre, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
- Lot No. 7 1/4 acre,Uriah Kemp, prior to 1839; south half (1/8 acre), Daniel S. Graham prior to 1841.
- Lot No. 8 Uriah Kemp, prior to 1839
- Lot No. 9 Uriah Kemp prior to 1839, Hiram Hall prior to 1842
- Lot No. 10 1/2 acre, Hiram Hall prior to 1842, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
- Lot No. 11 1/4 acre “well improved” lot owned by John Studstill up to 1845; Richard Allen after 1845
- Lot No. 13 south half (1/8 acre), James A. Boyet prior to 1842.
- Lot No. 14 “on the east side of the Courthouse” property of William McAuley prior to 1841
- Lot No. 15 1/4 acre “water lot”, Jesse Townsend, prior to 1846
- Lot No. 16 1/4 acre, William P. Murdoch prior to 1852
- Lot No. 17 Daniel W. Thomas – Ten Pin Alley
- Lot No. 21 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood prior to 1846.
- Lot No. 25 1/4 acre, William Lastinger prior to 1840; Hiram Hall prior to 1842, Burnett & Hall (Joseph S. Burnett and Hiram Hall) 1842 to 1843.
- Lot No. 28 1/4 acre mol, Thomas O. Townsend prior to 1847
- Lot No. 29 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood prior to 1844, Samuel Maulden, prior to 1847
- Lot No. 32 1/4 acre, Hiram Hall prior to 1842, Burnett & Hall (Joseph S. Burnett and Hiram Hall) 1842 to 1843; John J. Underwood, 1843 -1844; property of Hiram Hall, 1844 and described as ” the place whereon John J. Underwood now [Aug 13, 1844] lives.”
- Lot No. 34 property of William McAuley prior to 1841
- Lot No. 35 Henry J. Stewart, , prior to 1850. Stewart was an Attorney at Law and served as Postmaster in 1848.
- Lot No. 37 Joseph S. Burnett and Hiram Hall prior to 1841
- Lot No. 38 1/4 acre, William McDonald, prior to 1838
- Lot No. 39 1/4 acre, William D. Branch, prior to 1840
- Lot No. 42 1/4 acre, William D. Branch, prior to 1840
- Lot No. 45 5 acres mol (Wilson’s Survey), Mikel Myers, prior to 1848
- Lot No. 46 Peter K. Baillie, prior to 1842
- Lot No. 50 1/4 acre, “on which is situated the Methodist Episcopal Church,” property Duke K. Jimson prior to 1846.
- Lot No. 53 1/4 acre, Duke K. Jameson; also Richard W. Kirkland prior to his death in 1848
- Lot No. 57 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood prior to 1846.
- Lot No. 58 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood prior to 1846.
- Lot No. 59 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood prior to 1844; Thomas O. Townsend prior to 1845
- Lot No. 60 Thomas O. Townsend prior to 1945
- Lot No. 61 1/4 acre, Duke Blackburn prior to 1838; Uriah Kemp, prior to 1839
- Lot No. 64 1/4 acre, Uriah Kemp, prior to 1839; John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
- Lot No. 65 Thomas O. Townsend prior to 1845
- Lot No. 66 Thomas O. Townsend prior to 1845
- Lot No. 67 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood prior to 1846.
- Lot No. 68 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood prior to 1846.
- Lot No. 69 1/2 acre, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
- Lot No. 70 1 1/2 acre, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
- Lot No. 72 Duncan Smith prior to 1846.
- Lot No. 73 2 acres mol, Lodowick Miller, prior to 1842
- Lot No. 91 1/4 acre, John J. Underwood, prior to 1844
SOME RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS OWNERS OF TROUPVILLE, GA
- John Ashley, attorney, 1848
- Sumner W. Baker, attorney, 1856
- George W. Behn, attorney, 1845
- M.J. Bennett
- W. B. Bennett, attorney, Associate Editor of the Thomasville Southern Enterprise, 1858
- M. B. Bennett, attorney
- James B. Bliss, jeweler, 1843
- Elisha Ward Bozeman – not a Troupville resident, but in the 1850s he was a “hack driver” who regularly drove carriages through the town on the route from Thomasville, GA to Monticello, FL. He was later a resident of Quitman, GA
- Henry Briggs, Doctor and apothecary shop owner.
- Anthony C. Bruner, Methodist Preacher in 1842
- Joseph S. Burnett, sheriff, 1839
- T.A. Caruth, 1857 pastor
- John B.Cashan, merchant
- Deborah Cashan, wife of John B. Cashan
- Children of John B. Cashan
Ann E. C. Cashan
Sarah J. Cashan
John B. Cashan, Jr.
James S. Cashan
Jones E. Cashan
- Albert Converse
- Mary Converse
- Reverend William B. Cooper, first pastor of Little River Baptist Church
- D. R. Creech, traveled to New York City, October 1857
- O.P.Dasher , traveled to New York City, October 1857
- William H. Dasher, Attorney at Law, 1852-56
- T. S. Davies, Attorney at Law, doing business as the firm Davies & Rockwell, 1846.
- William H. Goldwire, Attorney at Law, 1852
- A. Davis, Pastor 1858
- William Wesley Dowling, Farmer 1849-1854
- Ardelia Frier Dowling, Wife of William W. Dowling
- Children of Ardelia and William W. Dowling
John Moses Dowling
Sarah Elizabeth Ann Dowling
Ryan Eli Dowling
Henry Taylor Dowling
Mary Emily Dowling
- Thomas William Ellis, Doctor and druggist
- Piercy Dixon Ellis, wife of Dr. Ellis
- Elisabeth Ellis, daughter of Dr. Ellis
- Caroline Ellis, daughter of Dr. Ellis, married John B. Cashan in Dooly Co., 22 Jul, 1849
- Ryan Frier, minister of the Little River Baptist Church, 1842
- Reverend Jonathan Gaulden, organizing member of the Little River Baptist Church.
- William Oglethorpe Girardeau – of Monticello, FL, had a law office in Troupville, 1848, in partnership with Charles S. Rockwell
- William Godfrey, Grocery merchant circa 1850
Henrietta O. Goldwire, member of the Little River Baptist Church
- James O. Goldwire, constituting member and deacon of the Little River Baptist Church
- Marie I. Goldwire, member of Little River Baptist Church
- William H.Goldwire, second pastor of Little River Baptist Church, Attorney at Law, 1852
- Ann C. Goldwire, Wife of William H. Goldwire
- Children of Ann C. and William H. Goldwire
Matilda M. Goldwire
Sophia B. Goldwire
- Old Monday, a slave of the Goldwires
- Thomas Butler Griffin
- Jane Moore Griffin
- Children of Thomas Butler Griffin and Jane Moore Griffin
Marcus J. Griffin
Samuel Moore Griffin
Iverson Lamar Griffin
- W.W. Griffin, Methodist Episcopal preacher, 1843
- Joshua Griffith, Sales Agent for the Wiregrass Reporter (Thomas County newspaper)
- Barney Howell – in the 1840s “was mail carrier between this neighborhood [Thomasville] and Monticello, Florida, making the horseback journey with great regularity and going via Troupville, which was then county seat of Lowndes County.” He was a resident of Thomas County and a brother of Caswell Howell, who served as one of the early members of the Baptist Church at Milltown, GA.
- Thomas Hughes Hines, Attorney at Law, residing at Stansell’s hotel, 1850; doing business as the firm Nelson & Hines, 1852, and on his own account in 1853
- Seaborn Jones, died November 9, 1849, accidently shot by his nine-year-old son, William Jones
- Jonathan Knight, hotel operator circa 1840-1849
- D. B. Johnson, student at Troupeville Academy, circa 1849
- Isaac de Lyon, publisher of the South Georgia Watchman newspaper
- Leonoren de Lyon, editor of the South Georgia Watchman newspaper
- Robert Marlow, member of Little River Baptist Church
- R. J. McCook, Methodist Episcopal Preacher, 1856
- Charles C. Morgan
- David B. Morgan, Attorney
- William L. Morgan, Attorney at Law and Secretary of the Lowndes County Inferior Court, beekeeper, Solicitor General of the Southern Circuit (1843), representative to the 1845 Georgia Democratic Convention
- Thomas L. Nelson, Attorney at Law, doing business as the firm of Nelson & Hines.
- James W. Patterson, Attorney, 1854
- Dr. W. H. Perry, of Troupville, received his medical degree in Augusta in 1843.
- Henry Peeples, Merchant
- John Peeples
- Richard Augustin Peeples, Merchant, later mayor of Valdosta
- Tillman D. Penrifoy, Preacher, 1840
- Col. Ephriam H. Platt, Attorney and real estate agent, 1853 -1858.
- GeorgeRobie, Teacher, 1842
- Frances Barrett Robie, wife of George Robie
- Georgia A. Robie, daughter of George Robie, b. 1842 at Troupville, GA
- Charles S. Rockwell, Attorney at Law, doing business in 1846 as the firm of Davies & Rockwell, and in 1848 as the firm of Rockwell & Girardeau.
- John Slade, Methodist preacher riding on the Troupville circuit.
- William Smith, Innkeeper of Tranquil Hall and Postmaster of Troupville
- Aaron Smith – Storekeeper
- Duncan Smith, Clerk of court, 1851
- Henry H. Smith, head of Troupville Bible Society, 1856
- Mose Smith – Storekeeper, owned the first store in Troupville
- Moses Smith, Jr.
- S. Spencer, Attorney at Law, doing business as the firm of Spencer & Stewart, 1843
- H. S. Stewart, Attorney at Law, doing business as the firm of Spencer & Stewart, 1843
- George W.Stansell, Hotel keeper
- Eliza E. Stansell, wife of G. W. Stansell
- John Strickland
- Elizabeth Wooten Swain, 1st wife of Morgan Swain
- Children of Elizabeth Wooten and Morgan Swain
Joel Wooten Swain
Rachel Inman Swain
- Children of Elizabeth Wooten and Morgan Swain
- Rebecca Griffin Swain, 2nd wife of Morgan Swain
- Children of Rebecca Griffin & Morgan Swain
Morgan Swain, jr
- Children of Rebecca Griffin & Morgan Swain
- Morgan Swain, Innkeeper, jailor, blacksmith, and sheriff
- Tarlton Swain, brother of Morgan Swain
- Daniel W. Thomas, Shopkeeper, residing at Stansell’s hotel, 1850.
- John Towells, Sheriff, 1844
- Solomon W. Walker, Farmer
- Mary King Walker
- Children of Solomon W. Walker & Mary King Walker
Solomon Wesley Walker
Nancy Jane Walker
Henry Clay Walker
William Webster Walker
Isham F. Walker
- Lewis P. D. Warren, Attorney, admitted to the bar at Troupville, 1848
- Powhatan Whittle, Attorney
- William Wilder
- Sarah Wilder
Edward Gross Wilder
Sarah E Wilder
- Sarah Wilder
OTHER BUSINESSES AND COMMERCE OF TROUPVILLE, GA
- Farmers House – a tavern or inn owned by William P. Murdoch, 1852
- South Georgia Watchman newspaper
- St. John the Baptist Masonic Lodge, 1854
- Troupville Academy – was authorized by Georgia statutes in 1852.
- Little River Baptist Church – constituted June 21st, 1840, construction completed in 1842, although services were held earlier in the home of James O. Goldwire, in other homes and in the Court House. Name changed to Troupville Baptist church in 1844, eventually became First Baptist Church of Valdosta.
- Troupville Methodist Church – In 1842, Anthony C. Bruner was the Methodist Preacher at Troupville, Later, John Slade was a Methodist preacher riding on the Troupville circuit.