James Swindle was a pioneer of the Wiregrass area of Georgia. He was born in 1830 in South Carolina, and by the 1850s he was living in Liberty County. James Swindle moved his family to Berrien County some time in the 1860’s. The Swindle farm was located about two miles outside Ray’s Mill, GA [now Ray City, GA].
On November 22, 1855 at age 25 James Swindle married Nancy Jane Parker in Liberty Co, GA. Nancy Jane Parker was the daughter of Solomon Parker and Harriet Baxter. She was born January 2, 1837 in Liberty County, GA.
Children of Nancy Jane Parker and James Swindle:
- William Lawrence Swindle, b. September 8, 1856, Liberty County, GA; died 1915
- George Emory Swindle, b. April 5, 1859, Liberty County, GA.
- Ann Eliza Swindle, b. July 4, 1861, Liberty County, GA.
- Marietta Swindle, b. June 12, 1865, Liberty County, GA.
- James S. Swindle, b. July 13, 1867, Liberty County, GA.
- Catherine Ardella Swindle, b. April 13, 1870, Liberty County, GA; d. 1882.
- Harriet Swindle, b. December 26, 1871, Liberty County, GA.
- Martha Ada Swindle, b. March 18, 1877, Berrien County, GA; d. April 16, 1957, Valdosta Lowndes
- Obituary of Sheriff W. L. Swindle
- George Emory Swindle Sought Cure at Buffalo Lithia Springs, VA
- Harriet Swindle Moore ~ First Lady of Ray City
- Death of Catherine Ardella Swindle, May 11, 1882
- James Henry Swindle and the Georgia Official and Statistical Register