South Georgia State Normal College For Young Ladies

In 1913, South Georgia State Normal College opened at Valdosta, GA. The school became Georgia State Woman’s College in 1922 , Valdosta State College in 1950, and Valdosta State University in 1993.

 

ANNOUNCEMENT

1913

SOUTH GEORGIA

STATE

NORMAL COLLEGE

For Young Ladies

VALDOSTA, GEORGIA

 

ARCHITECT’S DRAWING OF FIRST BUILDING.

Architectural rendering of the first building to be built on the campus of the South Georgia State Normal College, Valdosta, GA

Architectural rendering of the first building to be built on the campus of the South Georgia State Normal College, Valdosta, GA

 

The Board of Trustees

Hon. W. S. West, Chr.               Valdosta, Ga.
Hon. W. L, Converse, Sect.       Valdosta, Ga.
Hon. C. R. Ashley, Treas.           Valdosta, Ga.
Hon. A. C Ward, Jr.                   Douglas, Ga.
Hon. E. H. Beck                        Barney, Ga.
Hon H. M. Mcintosh                Albany, Ga.
Dr. R. C. Woodard                   Adel, Ga.
Hon. H. H. Tift                         Tifton, Ga.
Hon. J. Hansell Merrill             Thomasville, Ga.

EX OFFICIO

Dr. D. C. Barrow, Chancellor of the University of Georgia Athens, Ga.

Hon. M. L. Brittain, State Superintendent
of Schools Atlanta, Ga.

The Faculty

The President
Mr R. H. Powell

Professor of Pedagogy and History of Education.
Mr. J. M. Guilliams

Superintendent of the Training School
Miss Lillian Rule

Professor of Mathematics and Physics
Mr. J. F. Wood

Professor of English and History
Mr. W. J. Bradley

Professor of Domestic Science and Arts
Miss M. Katherine Christian

Director of Agriculture and Manager of the
Boarding Department
Mr. J. E. Creel

Associate Professor of English and History
Miss Elizabeth McElreath

Teacher of Art and Manual Training
Miss Frances Ruth Carpenter

The Faculty (Continued)

Teacher of Nature Study and Geography
Miss Alice Pritchard

Teacher of School Music
To be elected

Assistant Teacher in English and Latin
Miss Nell E. Brimberry

Training Teacher, Third and Fifth Grades
To be elected

Training Teacher, 1st Grade,
To be elected

Matron
Mrs. R. H. Patterson

Secretary and Bookkeeper
Mr. W. P. Yarbrough

Introductory

On Thursday, January the Second, 1913, the South Georgia State Normal College will open for its first term’s work. The handsome building is nearing completion and will be ready for occupancy. A permanent maintenance fund has been appropriated by the Legislature. A strong faculty is being organized; and every ting is being done to guarantee from the start a normal college of highest efficiency — the equal of any in the South. Though the school opens its first year in January, it is believed that owing to the relatively small classes at first and the consequent greater personal attention, and to the exceptionally high average of training and experience of the faculty it will not be long before the classes are fully abreast of the yearly program of studies.

Location

The school is situated in Valdosta, at one of the most easily accessible points in South Georgia. The campus of sixty acres faces 2,100 feet on Patterson Street, the principal residence street of the city, and occupies a gently sloping hillside, which gives perfect drainage and affords an ideal school site. At the foot of the hill a small stream flows through a natural park of handsome trees, and at the top of the hill is a beautiful grove of virgin pines. The school has a campus of exceptional natural beauty.

Health and Sanitation

Valdosta enjoys an enviable reputation for health. The fall, winter and spring climate (when school is in session) is ideal. The school will be amply supplied with pure artesian water from the city waterworks;
and the sewerage system is of the most modern and thorough design. Every precaution has been taken to protect the health of the students.

The Faculty

The heart of any school is its faculty. The faculty of this school is being very carefully selected, and several members have already been employed. The names of those who have been elected appear at the beginning of these announcements. Most of them are well known in the State, and all are known for exceptional character and ability in their special lines. It is the determination of the Board of Trustees to leave nothing undone to secure for the South Georgia State Normal College as able teachers as are to be found in any school of its kind.

The Course of Study

The charter of the College defines one of the chief functions of the school as being “to prepare teachers for the public schools of Georgia.” The Board frankly accepts this function, and the course of study will be based largely on this purpose.

In grade, the school will extend about two or three years above schools of the rank of our best accredited high schools. Graduates of accredited schools of Group A will be admitted to the Junior year without examination (though with conditions in one or two required subjects); and students from other groups of accredited schools will be graded accordingly. Graduates from most accredited schools will enter the Sophomore Class. All other students will be admitted on examinations and previous records.

As to course of study, the work will be broad and thorough. Besides the professional work necessary to the training of teachers, there will be thorough and vital training in the usual academic studies and in the subjects pertaining to home activities and arts. It is, in a word, the purpose of the school to train for teaching by training for life.

The Building

Before the first brick was laid, a plan was made for all reasonable future development of the school, and prospective buildings are given their positions once for all. The general style of architecture adopted is a very beautiful form of Spanish Mission. As is indicated in the accompanying picture, the light colored walls, the great overhanging roof of rich, red tile, the open terraces, and abundant windows, give great beauty and comfort. The first building to be erected is a combination dormitory and administration building. It will eventually be used entirely for dormitory purposes. It is only two stories high, thus preventing the injury of much climbing of stairs. The rooms are all well ventilated. There is running water, hot and cold, in every room. Ample toilet and bath facilities are conveniently placed. The furniture, though simple, is neat and specially adapted to dormitory purposes. In short, the building is planned on most modern principles, by an architect of very wide and successful experience in school and dormitory building. It is sincerely believed that there is not a better building of its kind in the South.

Home Life

In the dormitory there are thirty bed rooms furnishing accommodations for about 65 students. Most of the rooms, thirteen by fifteen feet, will be occupied by two students. A few rooms, somewhat larger, will be occupied by three. The dining room and kitchen are planned with the same regard for health and comfort as are the bed rooms. The dormitory will be under an experienced matron, who has charge of the girls in all matters of their school-home life. The dining room will be in charge of one who knows the principles of foods and is experienced in providing wholesome and palatable meals.

No pains or expense will be spared to make the home life of the students comfortable, healthy and content.

Arrangements have been made with certain families in the city to take students as boarders; and where students have responsible relatives in the city, they may, with the approval of the president, arrange to board with them. Students in private homes will be required to conform to the same general rules as do those in the dormitory.

The Uniform

All students will be required to wear a uniform. Experts are now at work on the problem of a neat, serviceable, higienic, and economical uniform. Details may be had on request, about December first.

Religious Life

It is a fundamental principle of the school that the public institutions of a Christian State are or ought to be Christian institutions. While the school is wholly undenominational, every incentive will be given to the development of wholesome Christian sentiment and noble Christian character. The religious life of the students will be in every way encouraged. Students will be expected to attend the churches of their own membership or of that of their parent’s choice.

Expenses

Matriculation fee per year $10.00

(This year $5.00.)

Books, Stationery, etc $8.00 to $12.00

Board, Lodging and Laundry in Dormitory, per month $12.00

Clothes, about $35,00

Laboratory and Domestic Science Fees $1.00 to $4.00

The Matriculation fee is payable when the student enters each year.

Books, Stationery, etc., are paid for when purchased.

Of the board and lodging fee, $24.00 is payable January 2nd, and $36.00 March 1st.
Laboratory and Domestic Science fees are payable at the beginning of the course.

Students from other states may be admitted upon payment of $50.00 tuition in addition to the foregoing fees.

What a Student Should Bring With Her.

Each student should bring with her the following articles: Sheets, a blanket, a pillow, pillow cases, a bed spread, towels, napkins, a knife, a fork, a spoon, and such other articles of personal use as she may need.

Each student should also have for the protection of her health and comfort a good umbrella, over shoes, and a warm cloak or rain coat.

The teaspoon and fork should be of solid silver or of good plated ware, and should, if possible, have the student’s initials engraved on them.

Training School

A normal school is as strong as its training school. Care has been taken to place the training school on a sound basis from the start. It has been arranged to open with three grades (1st, 3d, 5th) and to add grades each year until the school is complete. Expert teachers are in charge of the training school, and every care is taken to give the children of the school the very best educational advantages.

A fee of $2.50 per half year is charged for each pupil. This fee is due January 2nd for this school year.

For Further Information, Address

R. H. POWELL, President

Valdosta, Ga.

Application for Admission

_____________ ____ ______________ 1912 ____

(Postoffice and date)

Mr. R. H. Powell,

President South Georgia State Normal College:

I desire to enter my daughter as a student in the South Georgia State Normal College at the opening of the school, January 2nd, 1913.

She agrees to observe the rules and regulations of the institution.

_______________________________________Parent

Please give the following information
—————————————-
Students full name:
________________________________________

Age on January 1st, 1913 _______________

School last attended ___________________

Grade completed ________________________

Graduate of a High School? yes or no ___

Student’s health? good or not __________

Note: Students should, where possible, have the Superintendent or Principal of their school write a confidential letter to the President of this College speaking of the advancement and qualifications of the student. The student should bring with her such diplomas and certificates as she may have received.

Related Posts

 

History of Ray City School

In 1918, a contract for a new school building in Ray City, GA was let out by the Board of Education. Plans for the building were drawn by Valdosta architect Lloyd B. Greer. The contract for materials went to A. H. Miller Hardware Store in Ray City.

Industrial Development and Manufacturers Record, September 25, 1919, announcement of construction at Ray City, GA

Industrial Development and Manufacturers Record, September 25, 1919, announcement of construction at Ray City, GA

Construction on the brick school building, which has been preserved in Ray City and which now houses the Joe Sizemore Community Library, began in 1920.  The Ray City School opened in 1922.

Ray City School, March 11, 1927. In 1918, the Berrien County School Board put out a contract for a new school building in Ray City, GA. Plans for the building were drawn by Valdosta architect Lloyd B. Greer. Materials were supplied by A. H. Miller Hardware Store in Ray City. The school opened in 1922.

Ray City School, March 11, 1927.

The brick school building at Ray City, GA was designed by Valdosta architect Lloyd Greer.  Among other buildings designed by Greer were:  Federal Building and Post Office, Valdosta, GA; Carnegie  Library, Valdosta,GA; First Church of Christ, Scientist, Tallahassee, FL; James Price McRee House, Camilla, GA; Dasher High School, Valdosta, GA; Barney School, Barney, GA; Barber-Pitman House, Valdosta, GA; Lanier County Auditorium and Grammar School, Lakeland, GA; Ilex Theater, Quitman,GA; Moultrie Theater, Moultrie, GA; United Cigar Store Building, Jacksonville, GA; Quitman Library, Quitman, GA; Echols County High School, Statenville, GA; Barrow Hall, Emory Junior College, Valdosta, GA; Pine Grove School, Fitzgerald, GA; Christ Episcopal Church, Valdosta, GA; Douglas Negro High School and Douglas White High School, Douglas, GA; Nichols House,Valdosta, GA; Berrien High School, Nashville, GA. The Lyric Theater, Waycross,GA was designed by Greer.

Old Wooden School at Ray City, GA

The Ray City High School Class of 1949 wrote, “The school of our community was begun long before our town received its present name having been known as Rays Mill. “

Among those early teachers of Ray’s Mill (now Ray City) was  Henry Harrison Knight (1840-1898).  These teachers   taught in the little one room log house schools  of Berrien county, and were often paid in “found” – bartered, homegrown commodities such as ham, chickens, eggs, or butter.

The first school building was located on the east side of town. This building was destroyed by fire. Then a log cabin called the Alliance Building was constructed in 1898, and was used for about two years.

In January 1898, the Tifton Gazette reported that Robert Crawford Woodard was the teacher at the Rays Mill academy.  He later went on to become a physician.

In 1900 the interested people of the community decided to make an improvement in the school plant. Trees were cut from their lands and carried to Sutton’s Sawmill to be made into lumber, for the purpose of erecting a frame building. That stood where our present building is now standing. It consisted of one large room. Some of the interested patrons who helped with this building were: J. S. Swindle, W. E. Langford, Isaac Burkhalter, Redding Swindle, and W. M. Knight. With the aid of other patrons they completed the first Ray City School. -History of Ray City School (1948-49 Yearbook)

The town experienced a boom period when the Georgia & Florida Railroad came to Ray City in 1909.The increased population made it necessary to make an addition of two more rooms to the school.” -History of Ray City School (1948-49 Yearbook)

The January 19, 1911 edition of the Valdosta Times reported news of the school in Rays Mill (now Ray City).   Husband and wife team James Marcus Patten and Ida Lou Hall Patten were running the school. Professor J.M. Patten was college educated, having completed the teacher education program at North Georgia Agricultural College, and had twenty years experience teaching in the common schools of Berrien County.

In 1918,  the Reverend John W. Shoemate and Mrs. Harriet M. Shoemate came to Ray City to take charge of the school.   Reverend Shoemate was a native of Tennessee, and a Baptist minister.  Mrs. Shoemate was a native of South Dakota, and college educated. In Ray City, they were the neighbors of Professor and Mrs. J. M. Patten.  Mrs. Patten was also then occupied teaching public school.  The Ray City School was then still held in the three-room, wood frame building, and educated  students through the eighth grade. One student from this time period was Claudey Belle Hester, who wrote well enough for publication in Progressive Farmer.

According to the Annual Report of the Department of Education, in 1920 the public high school in Ray’s Mill was a 2-year Junior High School. Sankey Booth was Superintendent of the school and later served on the Berrien County Board of Education. One of the teachers in old Ray City was Louannie Eudell Webb (1902-1972), who started teaching by age 17.  She was a daughter of Luther Webb and Mary J. Albritton, and had only an 8th grade education herself. She married Leroy Lorenzo Carter on August 3, 1922. Another teacher at Ray City in 1920 was Lucile Fountain; she taught the fourth grade class. According to later census records, she herself had only attended school through the 4th grade.  It was the talk of the town when her beau, Calvin Simmons, came and got her out of class  and took her to get married on February 13, 1923. Maria Antoniette Poblete Knight worked as an art teacher at the Ray City School in the 1920s.

The Brick School

That [multi-room wood school house] was used until 1920 when work on the present building was started. -History of Ray City School (from the 1948-49 Yearbook)

Ray City School, 1948-49, C. W. Schmoe, Principal.

Ray City School, 1948-49, C. W. Schmoe, Principal.

In 1924, the Georgia Library Commission added the Ray City School as the only station in Berrien County for the Georgia Traveling Library.   the Georgia Library Commission had been created in 1919 by the General Assembly with and annual appropriation of $6,000, which included funds for the maintenance of traveling libraries.  These traveling libraries typically provided 50 or 100 books, which were available for a few months before being passed on to the next station.

Wilma Harper began her 60 year teaching career at the Ray City School in 1928 at the age of 18.  There she met and fell in love with Prentice M. Shultz, who taught and was principal at Ray City School. A year later they were married.

In 1928, the Georgia Library Commission reported  library service offered in Berrien only at Ray City, through the Ray City School and at the Kings Chapel School.

The Great Depression took a great toll on Berrien County, and Ray City struggled with funding to keep the school open. Only through the generous contributions of local citizens and by charging students a tuition, was the school able to continue for the full term. In 1930, the school could not even afford to hold graduation exercises.

In the 1930s many schools in smaller communities were consolidated. In 1936, Pleasant Vale and Sapling Grove schools were closed and the students sent to Ray City.

The Ray City School held a junior high school rating until 1936, when it became an accredited senior high school. Another classroom building was added that year to the school plant. -History of Ray City School (from the 1948-49 Yearbook)

By the 1940-41 school term, New Lois High School was also consolidated with Ray City High School.

In the early days students at Ray City School brought their own lunches to school and ate outside on the school grounds, as there was no lunchroom or kitchen to prepare food.  David Miley recalled a sow that used to come into the playground, and snatch the lunch bags of unsuspecting kids. The school grounds were fenced and had a cattle gap to keep free ranging livestock from entering the schoolyard.  Even so, livestock could and did occasionally get into the school yard.  By 1941, the school had a lunch room serving 150 students a day.

In 1950, half of the Ray City grammar school students appeared barefoot in the annual school photos.

In 1950, half of the Ray City grammar school students appeared barefoot in the annual school photos.

William E. “Bill” Griner (1902-1984) was the janitor at the Ray City School. He came to school very early every day and built a fire in the potbellied stove in every room. There were four classrooms and the soup kitchen in the old wooden building. In the brick building there were six classrooms, the principal’s office and the laboratory, each with their own stove.  At Christmas, every student brought Bill a gift. Bill had a nephew nicknamed Peanut, and although Bill himself had only two years of formal schooling, he worked hard to make sure that Peanut made it through high school. Peanut later became a policeman at Remerton, GA.

 

Fence and cattle gap in front of the Ray City School kept livestock out of the schoolyard, 1949.

Fence and cattle gap in front of the Ray City School kept livestock out of the schoolyard, 1949.

During WWII, Ray City School did its part.  Wilma G. Schultz was the draft Registrar for the Ray City School precinct.   Vocational agriculture teacher St. Elmo Lee gave up his classrooms at Ray City  and New Lois, GA for the U.S. Army. Graduates and former students left Ray City to go to war. Some never came back.  Hubert Comer (RCHS 1940) joined the Navy and was killed in the D-Day invasion of Normandy Beach. Harry Elmore Devane (RCHS 1938) also joined the Navy.  On D-Day Devane was a boat officer on a tank landing craft at Omaha Beach. He was killed in an accident aboard the aircraft carrier USS FDR after the war. James A. Swindle (RCHS 1936) captained a B-26 Marauder and flew 75 bombing missions; he was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross. Maurice “Max” Johnson (RCHS 1940) served as a B-24 pilot during WWII from 1942 to 1945. Leland E Langford (RCHS 1939) enlisted on June 12, 1941, serving as an Army pilot until he was killed in a plane crash in 1949.   J.I. Clements (RCHS 1938) joined the Army and fought in Germany. Many other alumni of Ray City School served as well.

 

In 1940, Lelia McConnell was a cook in the WPA school lunch room. Allie Starling was lunchroom supervisor and Martha Burkhalter was lunchroom waitress.  Earl W. Deloach was a bus driver.  Prentiss M. Shultz was superintendent and his wife, Wilma G. Shultz was a teacher.  Mary Peele was a music teacher. Other teachers were Jessie Francis Webb, Hazel Tabor, James Gaskins Grady, Earnestine M. Zeigler, Eloise M. Williams, Josephine Collier,  and Dorothy Chisholm. Maurice “Max” Johnson (RCHS 1940) was assistant janitor.

William R. “Mac” McClure was principal of the school in the mid 1940s. Charles Woodrow “Woody” Schmoe served as principal in the late 1940s and early 1950s. His wife, Nancy Young Schmoe, taught 5th Grade.

 

In 1947 a fifteen thousand dollar gymnasium was constructed by the patrons, a building in which the whole community justly takes pride (1948-49 Yearbook).  The town dedicated the building with a big dance celebration and the crowning of the Queen of the Harvest.  One of the teachers that year was Emily Britton Parker, wife of the Methodist Minister Pledger Parker.

In 1948, a vocational building was erected by the veterans of World War II, at the end of five years this … [became] a part of Ray City School.

It was in 1949 that veterans of World War II built  a “very modern and up-to-date lunchroom” for the school.

In 1954, Ray City High School and all other white high schools in the county were combined into Nashville High School.  The brick school building at Ray City continued to serve as an elementary and middle school until 1994, when all county schools were consolidated into facilities in Nashville.