Ray City News, Jan 3, 1929 ~ M.G. Melton Buys A. Turner Brick Bldgs.

Another clipping from the Ray City News, historic newspaper of Ray City, GA.  The article mentions that M. G. Melton intends to open a movie theater in Ray City.  Did the silver screen ever come to Ray City?

Just about every small southern town boasted a theater. Nashville, GA had a theater on the courthouse square. The Ilex Theater in Quitman, GA  built around 1928 was designed by Valdosta architect Lloyd Greer, who also designed the Ray City School.  Greer is also credited with designing the Lyric Theater in Waycross, GA and many other south Georgia buildings.

M.G. Melton Buys A. Turner Brick Bldgs. Clipping from the Ray City News, Jan 3, 1929 newspaper edition.

M.G. Melton Buys A. Turner Brick Bldgs. Clipping from the Ray City News, Jan 3, 1929 newspaper edition.

Ray City News, Jan 3, 1929
M.G. Melton Buys A. Turner Brick Bldgs.

   A transaction of much interest to the people of Ray City and surrounding  community is that in which Mr. M. G. Melton of Hahira purchased the two large brick buildings known as the Andrew Turner Buildings.  One of the buildings is two stories high and the top floor is needed for the telephone exchange.
     The bottom floor will be converted into an up to date moving picture theatre.  The adjoining building will be remodeled inside and a fresh line of merchandise put in.
    This transaction will mean much to the commercial life of Ray City and will afford local amusements for our citizens.
    The Ray City News takes great pleasure in welcoming Mr. Melton here, men of this calibre who can help develop our town will alway receive a hearty welcome by us.

Related Posts:

Ray City Theater shows Destination Moon

Andrew Washington Turner and Phoebe Isabelle Sirmans

More on Andrew Washington Turner and Phoebe Isabelle Sirmans

1929 Merchants Support Ray City News

Ray City News Goes to Press

The Ray City News ~ Once A Hometown Georgia Newspaper

W. H. E. Terry Comes to Ray City

 

Ray City News Goes to Press

As previously mentioned, Ray City, GA once boasted its own newspaper, known as the Ray City News.  As it turns out, there ARE a very few existing copies of the old hometown rag on display at the Ray City, GA  City Hall.  This blog will be bringing forth transcribed articles as they can be made available.

Prior local histories mention Harvey Terry as the paper’s editor, but  he has no presence in the known copies of the paper.

When the Ray City News went to press in 1929, those at the helm were M. F. Folsom, Manager and Editor, and F. G. Thompson, Assistant Manager. The paper was owned by the South Georgia Publishing Company.

The Volume 1, Number 1 edition was dated Thursday, January 3, 1929.  Subscriptions were $1.00 per year.

The paper included the following brief editorial: