Classroom Building and Soup Kitchen at Ray City School

Classroom Building  and Soup Kitchen at Ray City School

Classroom Building at Ray City School.

Classroom Building at Ray City School.

The white wooden classroom building  was already an old building on the campus when Diane Miley attended second grade at Ray City School in 1939.

This building, which was originally located where the kindergarten is now situated, and was later moved further back from Pauline Street to its present location. The entrances to this building were on the north and south sides. A
central north-south hallway ran through the building. On the east side were two big classrooms for the 1st and 4th grades, and a small room used as the Soup Kitchen. On the west side were 2nd Grade and 3rd Grade classrooms. There were no bathrooms in this building, or in the main brick school building for that matter. The toilets at that time were outdoor toilets. the Ray City school did not get indoor toilets until after WWII.

The teachers in this wooden building were:

1st Grade: Mrs. P.M. Shultz
2nd Grade: Miss Josephine Collier
3rd grade: Eloise Johnson
4th grade: a young unmarried teacher

Other Ray City teachers around that time were Jesse Francis Webb, Hazel Tabor, Dorothy Chisholm, and Mary Peele, James Garland Grady.  Julius Glen Tatum was an Ag teacher.

This building housed the original “soup kitchen” lunch room at Ray City School. Off of the 4th grade classroom was a small room which was used as the lunch room. It measured about 10 feet by 12 feet and was equipped with  a cook table, but no sink counter. A big cast iron wood-burning stove occupied one corner of the room.  There were counters and benches along two walls where the children ate.  The lunchroom ladies  could not feed many children at a time. The charge for lunch was 10 cents, but not all children could afford to get a hot lunch. Many brought their lunch from home and ate in the school yard.

Mrs. Hun Knight worked hard to bring the soup kitchen to the school and worked in the kitchen. Mrs. Eula Swindle Hall was the first cook. She was followed by Mrs. Allie Purvis Starling. Leila McConnell also cooked. Martha Burkhalter was a lunchroom “waitress.” Agnes Knight Guthrie also helped in the kitchen. For the paying students, soup was served every day, with brown whole-wheat flour biscuits and butter. The kitchen was supplied with surplus government commodities supplemented with fresh produce that was brought in by local farmers in trade for their children’s lunches. Rossie Futch brought in sweet potatoes in trade for a hot lunch for his children.

Later, after the first school cafeteria building was constructed on the Ray City School campus in 1941, the small soup kitchen was turned into a trigonometry classroom for the high school students.

Related Post

WWII Vets added Vocational Building at Ray City School

History of Ray City School

Second Grade Portraits, Ray City School, 1939

1939 Ray City School 10th Grade

Charles Woodrow Schmoe ~ Ray City School Principal

Ray City School 1934

Ray City School Gets Lunch Room, 1941

Senior Class of 1951, Ray City School

Ray City School Teachers 1950-51, Ray City, Berrien County, Georgia

Senior Class of 1951, Ray City School

Wilma Harper Shultz Began 60-year Teaching Career at Ray City

1939 Ray City Glee Club Goes On Tour

Ray City Class of 1930 Didn’t Walk

Ray City Girls Form Athletic Club, 1947

W.R. McClure Resigns as Ray City Principal

Mrs. Schmoe ~ Ray City Teacher

1951 Beaverettes Couldn’t Miss; Boys Went Afoul at Homerville

Sankey Booth, Wiregrass Educator

Ray City, GA Women’s Hoops, 1934

Queen of the Harvest celebrated Ray City Gymnasium

Tri-Hi-Y, 1939

 

Herman Knight Guthrie ~ 1948 Junior Class President

Herman Knight Guthrie, Junior Class President of 1948, Ray City School, Ray City, GA

Herman Knight Guthrie, Junior Class President of 1948, Ray City School, Ray City, GA

Herman Knight Guthrie was raised in Ray City, GA where many of the Guthrie family connection have resided.  As a student, he attended the Ray City School, and was President of the Junior Class of 1948.

Herman Knight Guthrie passed away in 2006. His obituary was published in the Valdosta Times:

Valdosta Daily Times
21 Mar 2006
Valdosta , GA , Us..

    Herman Knight Guthrie, 72, of Valdosta, passed away Sunday morning, March 19, 2006, at his residence after a brief illness.

   He was born in Winter Haven, Fla. on Nov. 3, 1933, to the late Herman Brown and Agnes Knight Guthrie. At an early age, he and his family moved to Ray City where he lived until his graduation from Berrien County High School. He served in the United States Air Force as a aircraft mechanic in Japan and French Indochina. After returning to Valdosta he continued his career as an aircraft mechanic at Moody Air Force Base. He owned and operated Guthrie’s Gulf for 15 years. He returned to Moody in the transit maintenance department where he retired in 1995. One of his favorite pasttimes was auto racing, which he pursued as one of the founders of Thunderbowl Speedway. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Valdosta for more than 50 years. His wife, Mary Jane Brooks Guthrie, preceded him in death.

    Survivors include two sons and daughter-in-law, Gary and Susan Guthrie of Powder Springs and Brad Guthrie of Valdosta; two grandchildren, Branyon Guthrie and Sarah Guthrie; brother and sister-in-law, Carroll and Jacque Guthrie of Ray City; two nephews, Larry Guthrie and Mike Guthrie; and two nieces, Carroll Jean Lawrence and Cara Lee Staples.

    Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday, March 21, 2006, in the Valdosta chapel of Music Funeral Services with burial following in Sunset Hill Cemetery. The family will receive friends tonight from 6 – 8 p.m. at the funeral home. Sympathy may be expressed online at http://www.musicfuneralservics.com. ? Music Funeral Services of Valdosta.

Related Posts: