Green Bullard was a long time resident of the Rays Mill (now Ray City) area, and husband of Mary Ann Knight. The Bullards owned land out Possum Creek Road and on toward the community of Cat Creek. (See Green Bullard and Green Bullard Fought Sickness in the Civil War)
Following Green Bullard’s death in 1907, there was some dispute among his children and step-children over the administration of his estate.
One side of the family, represented by Buie & Knight, wanted Henry Needham Bullard appointed as administrator. The other side, represented by William Hamilton Griffin, wanted Mallie Jones as administrator. Attorney William Hamilton Griffin, who was judge of the Valdosta City Court and a former mayor of Valdosta. Col. Griffin was a native of Berrien County and had served previously as clerk of the Berrien County court and as Ordinary of Berrien County.
Children of Mary A. Knight and William A. Jones (1835-1866)
- William Malachi Jones (1861-1925)
- Adam Allen Jones (1863-1922)
Children of Green Bullard and Mary A. Knight
- Sally Louise Bullard (1866 – 1919) married Albert B. Surrency
- Susan Bullard (1871 – 1950) married Jesse Shelby “Doc” Shaw
- Fannie Bullard (1874 – 1941) married William Berrien Shaw
- Henry Needham Bullard (1878 – 1938) married Mary Johnson
- Louis Malone Bullard (1881 – 1945) married Dollie Howard Knight
The court challenge was reported in the April 11, 1908 edition of the Valdosta Times.
April 11, 1908
Contest Over Administration
Mr. William B. Shaw, of Bainbridge, representing his wife [Fannie Bullard Shaw], accompanied by his attorney, Judge W. H. Griffin, and Mr. Will Simms, went to Nashville yesterday to appear before the ordinary there and have Mr. Henry Bullard made administrator of the estate of Greene Bullard. Other heirs wanted Mr. Mallie Jones made administrator. Judge Griffin represented one side and Buie & Knight the other. Judge Patterson heard the arguments and later appointed the clerk of the superior court, probably as a compromise, or until the matter may be given further consideration.
- Green Bullard
- Green Bullard Fought Sickness in the Civil War
- DEATH OF MRS. BULLARD
- Mary “Polly” Futch and John Webb
- Bazemore-Griffin Wedding 1899
- Family of Gus Calhoun, Berrien County, GA
- William H. Griffin, Wiregrass Jurist