Music School at Irene Church
John Elwood Guthrie was the youngest child of Arrin Horn Guthrie and Lucy Newbern Guthrie, of Ray City, GA.
John Guthrie was country storekeeper, operating a feed store on Main Street in Ray City, that was situated where the City Hall is now located. His home was directly behind the store. John and his brothers, Sam and Herman were and musician extraordinaire of Ray City, GA at times conducted music schools that drew students from surrounding counties. Guthrie was well known around the region as a teacher and performer, appearing at local night clubs, events and churches. He was master of a variety of instruments and was known for playing country, gospel and jazz styles throughout the Southeast.
These photos depict a music school held by John Guthrie (right) and John Varner (left) at Irene Primitive Baptist Church, which was located in Lanier County, GA (formerly Berrien County) about 5.5 miles northeast of Ray City.
- John Guthrie Brought Six Decades of Music to Ray City
- John Guthrie ~ Ray City’s Musician Extraordinaire
- Irene Primitive Baptist Church
- William Greene Avera Is Laid To Rest
- Samuel G. Guthrie of Ray City, GA
- Effie Guthrie and the Knight Brothers of Ray City, GA
- The Marriage of John David Miley and Lessie Lee Guthrie