150 years ago…
According to a history of the Wiregrass area published by the Coastal Plain Area Planning & Development Commission, Thomas M. Ray began operation of the grist mill originally known as “Knight and Ray’s Mill” on November 7, 1863.
General Levi J. Knight, long time friend, partner and father-in-law of Thomas Ray, died on February 23, 1870 in the community he founded. Afterwards, Thomas M. Ray bought out L. J. Knight’s interests in the grist mill and the land, including water-flow rights, from the General’s estate. Over time the mill became the focal point of the community which came to be known as Ray’s Mill, GA, now known as Ray City, Berrien County, GA.
- Thomas M Ray Founded Ray’s Mill in 1863
- Levi J. Knight ~ Settling Lowndes County 1827-1836
- Coffee Road Led to Creation of Lowndes County
- Pennywell Folsom Fell at Brushy Creek
- Reverend William A. Knight at old Troupville, GA