In small towns like Ray City, the circus was a big event. In the winter of 1952, the Don Robinson Circus came to town.
The Billboard magazine, and entertainment industry trade journal, published an announcement about the Don Robinson Circus in the November 29, 1952 edition. The story, filed from Ray City, GA, described the line up of acts, and was probably written by circus advance man Charlie Campbell, who traveled a week ahead to make arrangements for the show.
November 29, 1952
Spiegle Opens Don Robinson for Ga. Trek
Ray City, Ga., Nov. 22. – James Spiegle, operator of the Diamond Jim Circus for the past several years, has acquired the Don Robinson Circus title and opened under the latter name at Sparks, Ga., November 10.
The show will close at Dixie Union, Ga., December 15, and reopen about Jan 15 as a three-ring show, it was reported. The Diamond Jim Circus operated in the South as a one-ring show. Don Robinson Circus was out in 1951 under Howard Ingram and Eddie Billetti and was built from the Ameri-Congo Animal Expedition.
With the present Don Robinson show are Captain Forkum’s Lions, Minnie Spiegles Dogs, Billy Sheets, equestrian director and tight wire and Lou Walton, producing clown.
Menagerie consists of four cages. There are seven horses and two donkeys. Boss canvas-man Shorty Rhine has a 70 with a 40 and two 20s. Sound truck makes downtown bally.
General Agent is Charlie Campbell and M. Bailey has the bill car a week ahead. Most stands are sponsored by Parent-Teachers associations.
- Ray’s Mill Residents See Strobel Airship
- Circus Train Wrecked in Tifton
- Bloody History of Gypsy the Elephant
- Wild Men in the Wiregrass
- Bones of Gypsy the Elephant
- Ray City Carnival Photos