In 1924, the Atlanta Constitution reported that a Ray City entrepreneur would purchase the Hahira telephone system.
March 8, 1924, Pg 8
RAY CITY MAN BUYS HAHIRA PHONE SYSTEM
Hahira, Ga., March 7. – (Special.) M.G. Melton, of Ray City, Ga., has purchased the Hahira telephone system from the Bank of Hahira, and will assume management at once.
The system is comprised of 225 telephones, with rural lines running into adjacent communities, as well as being connected by the Southern Bell system for long distance service.
By the time of Melton’s Hahira investment, Ray City also had a well established telephone system.
Ray City Public Service Company
Some time prior to 1919, the Ray City Public Service Company served as the telephone company for Ray City, Georgia. It is said that the first telephone in town was installed at the drugstore that later became the Victory Soda Shop. Ike Fender and Gillie Ann Cowart were among the town’s first telephone operators.
The Report of the Comptroller-General of the State of Georgia for the year ending December 31, 1922 shows that the Ray City Public Service Company had 16 miles of telephone poles and 75 miles of telephone wire. The company paid $9.50 for telephone company taxes, and the total value of the company property was $1,900.00. In the Report of the Comptroller-General of the State of Georgia for the year ending December 31, 1925, the company name is give as Ray City Telephone Company. The total value of the company property was $1,888.00, and the company paid $9.44 in state taxes.
Later, M.G. Melton relocated to Hahira, but continued his commercial investments in Ray City. An earlier post told of his intention to operate a telephone exchange in Ray City.
Ray City News, Jan 3, 1929
M.G. Melton Buys A. Turner Brick Bldgs.
A transaction of much interest to the people of Ray City and surrounding community is that in which Mr. M. G. Melton of Hahira purchased the two large brick buildings known as the Andrew Turner Buildings. One of the buildings is two stories high and the top floor is needed for the telephone exchange.
In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps assisted with the construction of rural telephone lines. Eventually, the large telephone corporations bought out the local exchange operators.
- Ray City Boys in the CCC
- Ray City News, Jan 3, 1929 ~ M.G. Melton Buys A. Turner Brick Bldgs
- Andrew Washington Turner and Phoebe Isabelle Sirmans
- More on Andrew Washington Turner and Phoebe Isabelle Sirmans
- 1929 Merchants Support Ray City News
- The Ray City News ~ Once A Hometown Georgia Newspaper