Local history and genealogy of Ray City, Georgia
Rays Mill, GA was named for the grist mill operated there by Thomas M. Ray, and the community retained that name for several years. After the Georgia and Florida railroad came through, the people decided the town needed a more dignified name. In 1909 Perry T. Knight, state representative from Berrien County and a native of the area, introduced a bill to change the town’s name to Ray City. The bill became law on August 16th of that year and Ray City became incorporated.
Ray City History
An incomplete sketch of the Wiregrass pioneers, places, and historic events of Ray City, Georgia.
A local history project of the Ray City Community Library.
Celebrating the Ray City, GA Centennial 1909 – 2009