Mary Elizabeth Clance and William Henry Mixon came to Ray City, GA some time around 1901 and made it their home for the remainder of their lives.
William Henry Mixon was born November 27, 1854 in Marion County, GA. He was a son of Drucilla Balcom and James Michael Mixon. His grandfather was Michael Mixon (1794-1838), believed to have been killed in Lowndes County, GA while fighting in the Indian Wars in 1838. William’s father, James Michael Mixon (1830-1911), was a Confederate veteran who was wounded during the Civil War.
William’s parents separated after the Civil War, and William moved with his father to Twiggs County, GA to the home of his great-grandmother, Sena Mixon. When William’s father moved on to Pulaski County, William stayed behind in Twiggs County. It appears that around 1874, William’s father moved with his second wife, Amanda Smith, and their minor children from Pulaski County, GA to Lowndes County. In the census of 1900, James M. Mixon was enumerated in the Rays Mill district of Berrien County, Georgia Militia District 1144.
According to census records William Henry Mixon married Mary I. Clance about 1880 in Twiggs County, GA. His occupation in 1880 was working as a miller at a grist mill. Mary Clance was a daughter of Mary L. Blaylock and Wiley Clance. Her father once served as Justice of the Peace for Twiggs County, GA, and was also a wounded Confederate veteran.
About 1901 William and Mary followed William’s father south to Berrien County, GA. The census of 1910 shows them in the Rays Mill district of Berrien County, GA where William was farming on his own account. William Henry Mixon died on Christmas day, 1915 and was buried at Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA
Children of William and Mary Clance Mixon were:
- Annie Bell Mixon: born Jun 1882 in Wilkinson County, Georgia; married William Carl Griner on 17 Jan 1904; died 1917 in Ray City, Berrien County, Georgia.
- Hattie Leona Mixon: born June 1886 in Wilkinson County GA; married Lee Knox (son of Alton Knox) on 14 Dec 1904 in Berrien County, GA; died 29 Oct 1963 in Colquitt, Georgia.
- Mary Lee “Mamie” Mixon: born 1 Jan 1890 in Wilkinson County, GA; married Joseph John “Joe” Spells on 15 Jul 1917 in Berrien County, Georgia; died 29 Jul 1926 in Ray City, Berrien, Georgia; buried at Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, Georgia.
- Ida Mae Mixon: born 12 Feb 1893 in Wilkinson County, GA; married Joseph Browning about 1921 in Clinch County, GA; died 18 Jun 1980 in Lanier County, GA; buried at Fender Cemetery, Lakeland, Lanier, Georgia.
- Ethel “Effie” Pearl Mixon; born in Wilkinson County, Georgia on 11 Sep 1899; married Joseph “Leroy” Brown on 25 Aug 1927; died 28 Nov 1984 in Lakeland, Lanier, Georgia; and buried at Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, Berrien, Georgia.
- Alva Lorine Mixon: born 25 Mar 1895 in Wilkinson County, GA; married Thomas Henry Kirk about 1910, died 23 Jan 1977 in Lake Worth, Florida.
- Samuel E. “Sammie” Mixon; born 7 Jun 1898 in Wilkinson County, Georgia; died of pneumonia 19 Oct 1918 while serving in France during WWI; buried at Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, Berrien, Georgia.
- Utha Gertrude Mixon: born 27 May 1902 in Nashville, Berrien , Georgia; married William Lonnie Royal 21 Jun 1917 in Berrien, Georgia -
divorced; died 10 Aug 1991 in Columbus, GA; buried at Fender Cemetery, Lakeland, Lanier County, Georgia.
- Bessie Mixon: born 9 Jun 1906 at Nashville, Georgia; died 11 Jul 1908; buried between her parents at Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, Georgia.
After the death of William Henry Mixon, his widow, Mary Clance Mixon, married Henry Thomas Cersey. When she died in 1948, she was buried near her first husband at Beaver Dam Cemetery, Ray City, GA.
August 26, 1948
Mrs. Mary Cersey, 83, Died last Saturday; Final Rites Monday Mrs. Mary Cersey, lifetime resident of Berrien County, died in a Hahira Hospital Saturday afternoon after a long illness. A resident of Ray City, she was 83 years of age, having been born in Wilkerson County on May 26, 1863.
Mrs. Cersey is survived by five daughters, Mrs. Lee Macks, Moultrie; Mrs. Joseph Browning, Ray City; Mrs. Oliver L. Kirk, Lakewood, Fla; Mrs. Effie Brown, Ray City; and Mrs. Lonnie Royals, Stockton; two sisters, Mrs. J. E. Kitchens and Mrs. J. W. Coleman, Wintergreen, Fla; 20 grandchildern, and 36 great-grandchildren.
Funderal services were conducted Monday afternoon at 3 o’clock at Beaver Dam Primitive Baptist church by Elder C. H. Vickers and Elder M. E. Peavy. Interment was in the church cemetery at Ray City. Active pallbearers were D. J. Skinner, J. T. Richardson, G. B. McLendon, B. J. Akridge, O. V. Conner, and M. W. McLendon, Honorary pallbearers were G. G. Mikell, O. W. Mikell, B. F. Skinner and J. J. Spell. A selected choir sang Primitive hymns.
NOTE: Beaver Dam church (now known as Ray City Baptist Church) was not Primitive Baptist. The Primitive Baptist church in Ray City was New Ramah Church. Charlie Vickers and Marcus Peavey were pastors at New Ramah.