A brief history of the Methodist Church in Ray City, GA is excerpted from a document composed about 1988 .
Ray City Methodist Church
The Church was organized by brother F.D. Ratcliff on October 29, 1910. The Rev. W.E. Hightower of Remerton, Georgia served as the first pastor. Originally the services were held in a tent on the north side of town near the homestead of Mr. and Mrs. Will Clements. Among the first members were Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Luckie, Will Terry, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Turner, Mrs. Julia Dudley, Annie Lee Dudley, and Marie Dudley.
Shortly after the Church was organized, Rev. Ratcliff held a revival in the Masonic Hall. Five Church members were present and twenty-one new members joined. This made the total membership twenty-nine persons. During the time Brother Hightower served as pastor, he was originally on the Remerton Charge. He was later transferred to the Milltown Charge. At this time Brother Langston was the presiding elder and lived at Sparks, Georgia.
The church services were held in the Masonic Hall until it burned. Since the faithful Methodists helped the members of the Christian Church to erect their building, the Methodist were invited to hold their services in the new Christian Church building each second Sunday.
Land for a Church was donated in 1912 by R.D. Swindle, father of Henry A. and R.P. Swindle. In 1917, a tent meeting was held on the site of the present Church and plans were formulated to construct a new Church. Brother Barr was pastor and leader of the movement. A committee consisting Lucious Clements, W.M. Creech, Will Terry, J.M. Tyler and Mr. Patterson drew up the plans for and constructed a wooden building which was used until replaced by the existing block building in 1954. The new block building consisted of an auditorium, three Sunday school rooms and a kitchen. William Guthrie, a cabinet maker from Nashville, Georgia, made the pews for the new sanctuary. The social hall was added in 1964 and bears the name “Swindle Hall” in honor of Mr. Henry A. Swindle who was a long-standing, faithful member of the Church.
- Reverend John Slade of the Troupville Circuit
- The Second Death of Reverend Robert Payne Fain
- Chloe Johnson’s Bible and Census Records
- More on Andrew Washington Turner and Phoebe Isabelle Sirmans
- Ray City Girls Retreat at Epworth on St. Simons Island
- A Ray City Wedding for Boylan-Haven Graduate
- Reverend Joseph Frank Snell, Pastor of the Ray City Methodist Church
- 1923 Revival Meeting Season in Ray City, GA
- Fifty Years of Methodist Ministers ~ Ray City, GA