New Ramah Primitive Baptist Church, at Ray City, GA, was built on land donated by Elias M “Hun” Knight, John T. “Coot” Knight, Alexander “Bub” Knight, and Levi Jackson Knight, the four sons of Sarah “Sallie” Moore and Henry Harrison Knight, and grandsons of pioneer settler John Knight.
In 1976, B.L. Johnson wrote a brief history of the church:
NEW RAMAH PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH
The land for the church and cemetery was donated by A.S. Knight, E.M. Knight, L.J. Knight, and John Knight, all sons of Henry H. Knight.
On August 30, 1913 the following brethren met and established the new church: Elder I.A. Wetherington, Unity Church; Elder H.W. Parrish, Salem Church; Elder A.A. Knight, Pleasant Church; Elder E.R. Rhoden, Pleasant Hill; and Elder Ed Lindsey, Ty Ty Church.
Public donations from twenty-five cents on upwards to thirty-five dollars were given to build the church. Elder A.A. Knight was the first pastor and served for twelve years from August 1913 until July 1925. He was the father of June Knight, Mrs. Martha Burkhalter, and Mrs. J.L. Lee, all former residents of the community.
Elder C.H. Vickers succeeded Elder Knight and he served as pastor until December 1970, having served continuously for almost 45 years. Serving shorter terms as pastor were Elder J.R. Stallings from January 1971 to January 1972; and Elder Elisha Roberts from January 1972 until August 1973. The present pastor, Marcus Peavy, began his pastorate in August 1973.
Brethren who have served the church as clerks are George Mikell, Terrell Richardson, Lloyd Cribb and the present clerk, Austin Register.
There are presently eighteen members of the church.
- New Ramah Church
- Primitive Baptists at Ray City
- New Ramah Primitive Baptist Church ~ Additional Views
- Aaron Anderson Knight (1857 – 1925)
- Eulogy of Elder Ansel Parrish
- Constitution of New Ramah Primitive Baptist Church
- Historic Marker Placed at Site of New Ramah Church
- Reverend William A. Knight at old Troupville, GA
- Irene Primitive Baptist Church
- 1914 Box Ball Alley ~ Mayhaw Lake at Rays Mill, GA