September 25, 2011 at 11:34 pm (Biggles/Beagles Family)
Tags: Eugene Madison Giddens, Fargo Convict Camp, Isbin S. Giddens, J.V. Talley, James Thomas Biggles, Kiziah Knight, Madison G. Pearson, Mary Elizabeth Pearson, Needham W. Pearson, Reubin Nathaniel Burch, William Giddens
In 1880, Needham W. Pearson deeded 80 acres of land to his daughter, Elizabeth Pearson Biggles. She was the wife of James Thomas Biggles, subject of the previous post.
James Thomas Biggles and Mary Elizabeth Pearson Biggles
About 1901, James Thomas Biggles returned to the Rays Mill area after completing a prison term in the Fargo Convict Camp for the murder of his brother-in-law, Madison G. Pearson. Re-joining his wife, Biggles purchased an 100 acre tract, adjacent to her land, from Eugene M. Giddens. This tract had been in the Giddens family since the early 1800s. Isbin Giddens brought his wife, Keziah, and their two young children, William and Moses Giddens from Wayne County to settle in what was then Irwin County, near the present day Ray City GA in the winter of 1824-25. Present day county lines place the land in Lanier County, about 6 miles east of Ray City and just north of Highway 129.
After the death of James Thomas Biggles in 1911, the 100 acre tract that was in his name was sold at an administrator’s sale to J. V. Talley. The 80 acre tract was sold in 1924 by the heirs of Elizabeth Pearson Biggles, following her death in 1923. About that time Dr. Reubin Nathaniel Burch acquired both the 100 acre and the 80 acre tracts from different owners. Dr. Burch sold the property about 1930 and it was eventually accquired by the Roquemore family of Lakeland, GA for turfgrass production.
May 14, 2010 at 6:09 am (Historic Businesses, Terry Family, Uncategorized)
Tags: bank, Bank of Milltown, Bank of Ray's Mill, Berrien, C.O. Terry, Charles Oscar Terry, Citizens Bank of Ray City, Frank Fountain, G.W. Varn, Georgia, Harmon Gaskins, J.H.P Johnson, J.H.Swindle, J.V. Talley, John D. Luke, Joseph Henry Pascal Johnson, Joseph W. Johnson, Joseph Wallace Johnson, L.J. Clements, L.M. Marshall, P.T. Knight, Perry Thomas Knight, Philip Cook, Ray City GA, Ray's Mill, W. L. Patten, Yancey F. Carter
The Bank of Ray’s Mill and the Bank of Milltown
In 1905, local investors including some with Ray’s Mill connections formed the Bank of Milltown. The bank was chartered March 14, 1905 and the bank opened for business March 21, 1906.
GOSSIP AT THE CAPITOL
Atlanta Constitution. Feb 7, 1905 pg. 7
Application was filed with Secretary of State Philip Cook yesterday for a charter for the Bank of Milltown, at Milltown, in Berrien county. The capital stock of the new bank is to be $25,000 and the incorporators are J.V. Talley, W.L. Patton, P.T. Knight and L.J. Clements, Jr.
The Bank of Ray’s Mill was organized around 1908 with G.W. Varn as president and L.M. Marshall as cashier. Its directors were J.H.P. Johnson, J.H.Swindle, C.O. Terry, Y.F. Carter, Harmon Gaskins, and Frank Fountain. Wallace Johnson, son of J.H.P Johnson, began working for the bank when he was fourteen years old. L.M. Marshall served as the bank’s cashier until he was succeeded in the early 1920’s by John D. Luke who held the position until the bank failed during the great depression – probably around 1931. In 1909 the bank’s name was changed to Citizens Bank of Ray City.
The Annual report of the Treasurer and State Bank Examiner of the State of Georgia for the year ending 1910, still lists the bank as the Bank of Ray’s Mill, with a capital of $15,000 dollars. That sum would have been about $6 million in 2007 dollars.