March 1, 2012 at 12:51 am (Clements Family, Georgia State Womans College, Uncategorized)
Tags: Alma Clements, Alma Florence May, Annie Ruth Clements, Billie Clements, Frances Clements, Georgia Normal College and Business Institute, Georgia State Womans College, Hod P. Clements, John Miles Clements, Lawrence Carter, Mary E. Lee, Mayhaw Lake, Ray City GA, Victory Soda Shop
In the 1940s Annie Ruth Clements and Frances Clements, Ray City cousins, both attended Georgia State Womans College, now known as Valdosta State University. The Clements girls were descendants of one of the pioneer families of Ray City,GA and were both granddaughters of John Miles Clements (1859 – 1937).
Ann Ruth Clements (L) and Frances Clement (R), of Ray City, GA. In 1943, the Clements girls were freshmen at Georgia State Womans College, Valdosta, GA (now Valdosta State University.)
Annie Ruth Clements was born at Ray City, GA about 1924, a daughter of Mary Elizabeth Lee and William A. Clements. Her father was a farmer and butcher at Ray City. She was a sister of Billie Clements who would later own the Victory Soda Shop in Ray City. The long-time Ray City landmark opened in 1943, during WWII, and during the time Annie Ruth was attending G.S.W.C.
Frances Clements was born about 1925, also at Ray City, GA, a daughter of Alma Florence May and Hosea “Hod” P. Clements. Her father was a graduate of Georgia Normal College and Business Institute, and a prominent businessman of Ray City. After college, Frances Clements married Lawrence Carter and the couple made their home in Valdosta.
August 22, 2011 at 12:58 am (Clements Family, Society and Leisure)
Tags: Alma Clements, Alma Florence May, Bertie Carter, Bertie Moore, Cynthia Swindle, Dora Bradford, Frances Clements, Gladys Daniel, Gladys Knight, Hazel Bradham, Hod P. Clements, Inez Purvis, James Clements, Jessie Webb, Lawrence Carter, Mildred Clements, Peggy Carter, Ray City GA, W. R. McClure
Frances Clements, 1939 high school photo, Ray City, GA
An old Valdosta Daily Times newspaper clipping tells about the time the women of Ray City, GA threw a shower for Frances Clements, soon to be wed to Lawrence Carter of Valdosta. The hostesses for the occasion were Mrs. Yance Carter, Bertie Moore, Dora Bradford, Inez Purvis, Mrs. Jim Paulk, Gladys Knight, Hazel Bradham, Cynthia Swindle, Mrs. J.H. Swindle, Mrs. W.R. McClure, all of Ray City, GA and the groom’s mother, Bertie Carter, of Valdosta.
Frances Clements was the daughter of Hod P. Clements (Hosea Peeples Clements) and Alma Florence May. She was the sister of Mildred Lorene Clements and James Herman Clements.
Miss Frances Clements, bride elect, was the inspiration of a miscellaneous shower Thursday afternoon at the home of Mrs. E. M. Knight, prior to her marriage to Mr. Lawrence Carter of this city [Valdosta, Ga].
This attractive home was thrown en suite for the occasion and bouquets of mixed garden flowers were used to advantage in the living room. The attractively appointed refreshment table was overlaid with a white cutwork cloth, and was centered was an erpegne, a gift from Germany. Dainty white flowers encircled the punch bowl which was flanked by candelabra holding white tapers. Crystal platters held a variety of sandwiches, dainty sweets and tidbits.
Punch was served by Mrs. Peggy Carter, Mrs. Bill Bradham, Mrs. Jim Paulk, and Mrs. Leon Bradford.
The brides’ book was kept by Mrs. Mildred Moore, sister of the bride to be.
For this event the future bride was attired in green. Complementing her costume were brown accessories with a corsage of talisman roses.
Hostesses for this occasion were: Mrs. Y. F. Carter, Mrs. F.C. Moore, Mrs. Leon Bradford, Mrs. G.L. Webb, Mrs. H. P. Giddens, Mrs. Bill Bradham, Mrs. Artis Purvis, Mrs. Jim Paulk, Mrs. E.M. Knight, Mrs. G. P. Swindle, Mrs. J.H. Swindle, Mrs. L.L. Carter, Mrs. W.R. McClure.
After marriage, Frances Clements and Lawrence Carter built this home on Bemiss Road, Valdosta, GA. At the time of construction, the home was located on the outskirts of the town.
May 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm (Ray City School, Uncategorized)
Tags: Alma Clements, Alma Florence May, David Miley, M.E Studstill, P. T. A., R.A. Stallings, Ray City GA, Ray City School, Works Project Administration
There was a time when students at Ray City School ate bag lunches outside on the school grounds. In those days, said life-long Ray City resident David Miley, the unwary child might have his or her lunch snatched away by a free-range hog. Later, the school yard was fenced and a cattle gap installed to keep out the livestock. By 1941, the school had a lunch room serving 150 students a day.
Ray City School lunch room, 1952-53.
In 1941, Alma Florence May Clements, wife of Hod P. Clements, wrote a newspaper article about the lunchroom:
February 13, 1941
Lunch Room for Ray City School
by Mrs. H.P. Clements
Through the efforts of our efficient Parent Teachers Association we are sponsoring one of the most worthy projects that we have ever sponsored.
In the year 1939 we started or at least we created the idea of a lunchroom for our school. We had lots of things to discourage us, as in the first place we did not have room in the building, not stove, but a few of us decided that where there is a will there could certainly by a way.
Our hats are off to one of our trustees. Mr. M.A. Studstill, who with a big heart and a bigger pocketbook, donated the lumber to build the lunchroom. But that wasn’t enough. He furnishes us with all the wood that anybody will go after from his saw mill. If we just had few more like him, I don’t known what we might be able to do.
With the assistance of the WPA our lunchroom has been built and the good women of the P.T.A. donated very generously to furnish it in January of 1941. We had only two ladies in the lunchroom and accommodations for 100 children. Our good county school superintendent, R.A. Stallings, came to our rescue and helped us get more help and now we have four helpers in the lunchroom and they are all ready and willing to do their part and then some.
We feed at least 150 children each day taking care of all of the underprivileged children and those who can are more than willing to donate and help finance the lunchroom. It is just a happy privilege to visit the lunch room, and I wish every mother who sends her child to the lunchroom would please visit us and see how efficiently the food is prepared and served to the children.
Let’s try in every way we can to make this lunchroom in Ray City a larger and better lunch room than it has been in the past. Let’s encourage our workers in the room, and stand behind the trustees of our school to visit the lunch room more often and see for themselves the work that is being done.
Let’s all pull together to make a better school for Ray City, a better town in which to live. Our school faculty is always ready to cooperate and help in any and every way it can. Lets all put our shoulders to the wheel and really and truly do something for Ray City.
January 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm (Clements Family, Ray City Georgia, Uncategorized)
Tags: Alma Clements, Berrien County GA, Citizens Bank of Ray City, Georgia Normal College and Business Institute, H. P. Clements, Hod P. Clements, Hosea Peoples Clements, Milltown GA, Ray City GA, Swindle and Clements
Hosea “Hod” P. Clements and his wife, Alma, lived in a house on Jones Street, Ray City, GA.
According to a 1973 Valdosta Times interview, Hod Clements was born in 1890 in Milltown (nka Lakeland), GA and moved to Ray City in the 1920s.
Home on Jones Street, Ray City, GA was the residence of Alma and Hosea “Hod” Peoples Clements.
Armed with a degree from the Georgia Normal College and Business Institute, Hod Clements went into business in Ray City.
”From 1923 until 1945 Clements operated a general store named Swindle and Clements.”
In 1948, buying the old Ray City Bank and its equipment for $3,500 he began banking with a capital of $10,000.
The original Ray City Bank was begun by his uncle Jim Swindle who organized it around 1908.