Ray City History
William H. Edward Terry
About 1910, William Henry Edward Terry came to Ray City, GA from Florida and built the first brick building in the new town. Mr. B. W. Boyd, of Valdosta, was given the contract to construct the new building on the south side of Jones Street near the corner of Paralleled Street, in Ray City.
The Valdosta Times
September 10, 1910
Mr B. W. Boyd of this city has been given the contract to put a second story on Mr. Gregory’s building at Adel, the upper story to contain offices. He also has been given the contract to build a two-story brick building for Mr. W. H. E. Terry, at Rays Mill.
The construction proceeded quickly, and the January 19, 1911 edition of the Valdosta Times reported, “Mr. W. H. E. Terry has moved into his new brick building.”
But even earlier, Terry was advertising his new store in The Valdosta Times.
In a January 14, 1911 two line ad, W.H.E. Terry featured “Coffins and Carpets.”
An early photo of the town features a department store offering “coffins and caskets.
The old building was torn down in the early 1950’s.
- W. H. E. Terry Comes to Ray City (raycityhistory.wordpress.com)